Author Topic: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT  (Read 70725 times)

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT
« on: 05 March 2008, 04:29:58 PM »
Jimmy & Michael, I hope you have no problem with me creating a general weather thread?

So anyway this thread will cover general day-to-day weather in various places throughout Australia from anybody that opts to share their local weather details, Post your daily weather conditions, temperature, wind and rainfall reports and anything else related to the day's weather events, any significant weather reports can be summarised here but should be posted in a relevant thread when available in the breaking weather forum.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
RE: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2008, 02:16:57 AM »
Given the lack of any interesting weather systems there is still a need to talk about more minor weather events.  Sure is in a rut along the east coast with the only interest being from heavy falls around Far North QLD. Isolated showers continue around the NSW Northern Rivers most days though yesterday was fine.
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2008, 03:22:41 PM »
Well looks like Sydney is finally getting a touch of summer (now it's autumn) with forecast temps in the mid-high 20s for the next week or so and little if any rain. Apparently temps near the 40s out west for the next few days which is unusual after a cool summer.

All caused by the current high sitting near us bringing northerlies down from warmer climes.

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2008, 03:33:14 PM »
Given the lack of any interesting weather systems there is still a need to talk about more minor weather events.  Sure is in a rut along the east coast with the only interest being from heavy falls around Far North QLD. Isolated showers continue around the NSW Northern Rivers most days though yesterday was fine.

Ahhh Michael...I feel your pain.  What happened to the joys of October and very early November?  If this is La Nina, I never want this again.  Sure it has been fantastic in helping to break the stranglehold of the dry/drought conditions but it has KILLED our storms....completely.  You know its going to be a long autumn when you load the 1-7 day GFS outlook and see the ridge continuing up the east coast to the end of that outlook and then you move to the 8-14 day outlook and it doesn't change again.  Surely this will create some records for lowest summer time average temps or something?  Something at least so we can say we lived (survived...just) through something special (yet so unspecial).

Here's hoping to a smashing end to the season as was the start way way way back in October.

Macca

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2008, 05:18:03 PM »
Didn't El Nino kill our storms as well? I remember in 2006 was when all of a sudden, activity almost began to cease by January.

Anyway were stuck in a rut of a weather pattern ourselves, cloudy mornings, sunny afternoons with the occasional shower at night.

Temp was 17 to 26 today with no rain to report, pretty boring....

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2008, 06:53:22 AM »
Indeed, I echo the sentiments!  Although La Nina has given us our wettest month on record (690mm) it's been a shocker for storms.  January and Feb 2007 was storm heaven with them every night in town without fail.  This year the monsoon just made it damp for six weeks straight - boring!  I'd much prefer the El Nino period given the storm activity.  But on the flip side at least 'most' portions of the country received some welcome rains for the dams etc.  Could be worse!
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2008, 10:36:30 AM »
Mike,

I was under the impression that this season seemed to be a more active season in the tropics than most past years? So you are suggesting it is not? El Nina threw out patterns like you would not believe across the country - well with an extended drought and little moisture to deal with.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2008, 11:01:53 AM »
I've seen wetter years, Jimmy.  In 2001-2 it was extremely wet.   Granted the rain has been widespread, but even with the active monsoon we had that lasted a month, it only produced generally 2 days out of 7 with significant rainfall of more than 180mm in the general Darwin area, rural areas copped a bit more due to the lows that were inland stationary.

Seasonally from what I've seen since living here storm production is off a little.  The last two years were more storm active by a long mile, which is surprising considering La Nina encourages more severe weather!

It's one of those grey areas amongst conversation here at the moment 'Is it wetter or has it changed' type talk.  A lot say it's on average weatherwise, which is pretty broad considering the seasonal pattern shift.  The monsoonal troughs really make things difficult to judge whether there's a dramatic change, if we get more cyclones then it's obviously a shift in patterns and the break periods have tended to be the norm - a few weeks without any notable precip/storms until the monsoon returns.

We've had a lot of moisture taken from the ECLs and cyclones to the west which has a dramatic impact on our wet season thus far.  Even with the La Nina influence it doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary i'd say.  I could gauge the rainfall as say for sure, it's been very wet, but one month or two perhaps would be wrong to attribute this season as a severe shift.  In reality what is suggestive of a dramatic change here is difficult at best because our months change so surprisingly even in dull periods and when it does fire up one compares it to other years, for me this year is quieter apart from an extended monsoon this time around which is the norm...

I don't know if that answered your query JD, but there's no 'stand out' feature that I can pinpoint to say it's better or worse for us apart from an early cyclone and a couple of lows, sorry!
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2008, 11:21:29 AM »
Mike,

You just said:

In 2001-2 it was extremely wet.

and previously said:

I'd much prefer the El Nino period given the storm activity.

I was refering to the El Nino component of your previous statement. Can you refer to many years in El Nino that you thoroughly enjyed Storm wise or even wet season wise. I am curious.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 10 March 2008, 01:58:09 PM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2008, 06:58:14 AM »
I probably lost my train of thought in the last post and I think I must add too Jimmy, I've not had any interest in storms/chasing or weather whatsoever or photography wise till end of 2006, so you'll forgive me if I seem a bit vague on what the seasonal conditions were back then. I'll have to check on line to get a graph of either nino/nina we had between 2001-05

Back to your question:  The last two years have been more storm active with el Nino, rather this season with the change to La Nina.  I don't know why this is.  Whether the MJO, SOI/ENSO or even the Walker circulation has had something to do with it and they might be the key ingredients.  The previous 2006/7 monsoons were 'dry' as we call them, short lived - even with CAT5 Monica - we had very little rainfall Top End wise from her.  But thunderstorms were much more vigorous and frequency was moreso.  Remember also that we had an EF3 tornado in Kakadu from pre-cyclone George also during el Nino!

For this year with La Nina - what I expected was much more severe weather as has been experienced elsewhere with this cycle and what they told us to prepare for more severe weather, yeah right!  it's been the opposite!  Sure we've had a couple of lows etc to enhance prolonged monsoonal troughs and more rainfalll, but storm wise it's been disappointing.  Storms have been not been as - what's the word - a 'daily occurance' so to speak.

Everyone here has commented on how the last couple of years had seen more storms on a week to week basis.  This season it's been week-to-month waiting for something to fire up with any gusto. 

So yeah in a nutshell el Nino years that i've seen produced the better storms - monsoons are a given anyway - I've only taken say 200 photos thus far compared to over 800 last season.  I think that gives me a measure about how many storms we've had in el Nino to La Nina. 

It's an interesting comparison when you think about it, I'll have to get onto my BoM people and find out some more info as you've sparked my curiosity also.
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2008, 11:37:13 AM »
Mike,

I guess I was judging on others that do live in Darwin and suggesting that each season was a crap one - 'we normally get much more than this'. Each season seems like it was not the norm and much lower than average and the quality not as ideal. We get massive storms.

I can suggest that 2000 to 2001 was definitely not El Nino from memory and there was inland rains that year because I was out there.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

cloudfairy

« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2008, 12:08:17 PM »
hi,
I can't tell anything about that out of experience, because its my first time to Australia and I've been here just since 4 weeks.

But for the rainfall I can show you this site BOM Rainfall (I hope you can open it). And as you can see there, the rainfall in Darwin is second highest this year.

Actually I do some research (really really small) on MJO and ENSO, and so I can agree with Jimmy. 2000 to 2001 was no El Nino, it was in 2002 to 2003.
2000 to 2001 was a neutral season. Neither El Nino nor La Nina.

Thats all I can see, go on ;)
« Last Edit: 08 March 2008, 01:08:50 PM by cloudfairy »

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
Steven,

I think my original thread.. "Lets look to the other side...." was one of these types of threads, but i feel better if the general stuff ended up here, as my original intention of the thread i started was relating to VIC weather in comparison to NSW/QLD weather when rainfall events occurred. There are some people who do neglect some of the southern part of Oz's weather when they live and work in NSW/QLD/NT, and my thread was to allow those in southern states to share their views too, not just for it to be dominated by the two main rain states (for all year round rain that is - sorry Mike (NT)). Please if anyone else has general weather events relating to southern states, feel free to post in the other side thread, else post here!

Again, thanks Steve!

Big Pete.
PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2008, 02:15:48 PM »
Cloud Fairy - thanks for your great pics from the weather you have studies up north Oz. Love for one day for you to observe Vic (esp Melbourne) weather sometime. Maybe you can put to bed the myth here that Melbourne has unpredictable weather one day!

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2008, 02:37:47 PM »
Well very late in the season for Adelaide, Melbourne and western NSW to be getting the temps they are. Channel 9 news in Sydney tonight reported that tomorrow Adelaide will have had the most over 30 days for 19 years in March (if memory serves me). Maybe the move to Sydney was a good thing - he says as a rain band moves over quickly from the SW with a few flashes and rumbles going on.