Author Topic: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT  (Read 70599 times)

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
RE: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT
« Reply #15 on: 09 March 2008, 04:00:09 AM »
No worries Pete. ;)

I knew what the other thread was about so I decided to leave it for you and create this one. :)

Nothing to report here, it's been like the same stuff for over a week now, and what gets me is the constant 26C days since the start of March!

Hmmm must be pattern.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2008, 06:26:02 AM »
The very active mid-upper level trough that gave Sydney more storms Fri 7th - storms that continued until about 5am on the 8th throughout the Mid North Coast - managed to produce NOTHING on Saturday further north.  Straight back to SE winds. The GFS instability forecast was quite poor with a reanalyse very different.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2008, 08:19:42 AM »
It's annoying! Because it hardly rains MUCH but enough to make the ground mouldy, and now we have strong SE winds.

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2008, 09:02:26 AM »
The very active mid-upper level trough that gave Sydney more storms Fri 7th - storms that continued until about 5am on the 8th throughout the Mid North Coast - managed to produce NOTHING on Saturday further north.  Straight back to SE winds. The GFS instability forecast was quite poor with a reanalyse very different.

As was proven by my 350km return journey from Brisbane to Warwick where I expected the upper trough to fire off some more storms as it had done the previous two days further S.  Still...I purchased a birthday card and some lunch in Warwick so the day was not a total loss :D.

There have been some gusty showers around Brisbane today (moreso this morning).  One hit my place (inner south west) at around 9:30am or so which probably had gusts up to 25knts and some brief heavy rain.  Probably the most interesting weather we'll see for March. 

Macca

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #19 on: 11 March 2008, 04:11:07 AM »
Thanks for the years for el Nino/neutral etc guys...that would confirm some things.  Jimmy, I agree also...locals up here tend to gauge rainfall on the monsoon only and not the storms and every year is a bad one unless Katherine gets flooded at least twice and the rivers are overflowing with Barramundi....

The low that has been moving across us has been dismal...a lot of areas inland further toward Pine Creek and adjacent communities have been getting over 100mm in places, but this low is tagged onto the end of a very weak monsoon trough that is waining by the day. The conditions just are conducive to storms for the next day or two.  Perhaps by Wednesday we'll see them start to come in the arvo again.  Although it's hot, the humidity is down a tad.  With only about 4 weeks left of the storm season we'll either see another monsoon late March or nothing - albeit we had Monica in April 2006 - but the dragonflies are out - that's an ominous sign to chasers that the dry is on the way.  :(
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
Re: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT
« Reply #20 on: 11 March 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Well although this "event" fizzled we totaled around 10mm from short and sharp bursts of showers, there was also thunder this morning.

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #21 on: 16 March 2008, 07:33:25 AM »
Unusual weather phenomena - 14/3/08 and 15/3/08

Hello

Not specifically a severe weather event but an unusual weather event has taken place over the past two mornings here in Blacktown worth mentioning.

Friday morning 14/3/08 and Saturday morning 15/3/08 have both started off with thick fog. I cannot recall two consecutive foggy mornings occurring during the month of March where I live. On both days, the thick morning fog has lasted till well after sunrise only to clear to a warm sunny day with temperatures well into the mid to high 20s.

The greatest incidence of fogs usually occur from April to July. However, I have already observed 3 foggy mornings for 2008 and we are not in the peak season for fogs. It seems that there is a higher incidence of fog occurring this year than in past years.

Harley Pearman

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #22 on: 16 March 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
Hi Harley

No fog here at Rydalmere, but I am guessing a combination of warm temperatures during the day, and high humidity are contributing to the air having enough moisture in it to condense into fog over night. The dew has certainly been quite heavy here the last few days.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
Actually,

Fog behaviour across the Sydney basin is interesting to study. The circulation of the airflow I guess partially influenced by the ranges to the west and synoptic conditions all impact on what regions experience fog. Obviously the Nepean Valley experience quite a few fog days each year (Harley will remind us of these statistics I guess). However, certain areas are more susceptable to fogs than others. In my opinion, this is in response to the atypical airflow that dominates creating regions of higher moisture and also cooler air. Schofields where I live does experience extensive fogs but I doubt as much as Richmond does. I am sure the urban heating has a significant effect on the occurrences of fog.

We experience a fog here this morning which seemed to clear during the late morning - moreso than yesterday's fog which seemed to be breaking just after sunrise.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #24 on: 19 March 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
Hello

As suggested, I have found some statistics for fog formation in Sydney to add to my previous post regarding the recent fog.

The average for Autumn for Sydney is roughly four days per year.

A study by Edward Linacre and Bart Geerts (1997) (Page 158) Climate and Weather explained has shown that Sydney can experience up to 17 fogs per year but the average number has fallen from 31 (1931 to 1935) period to as low as 5 (1976 - 1980) period. The number seems to vary but a figure of 17 is what I could find.

Harley Pearman

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #25 on: 22 March 2008, 12:31:45 PM »
Finally had a clear day since Mar 14. But the changing weather accompanied with gloominess is taking it's toll.

I'm NOT looking forward to winter!!

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
Hello

Further to my earlier posts regarding fog formations, the high incidence of fog this year has continued at Blacktown.

There was a fog on the morning of 25/3/2008 and following the evening rain and thunderstorm of 25/3/2008, another significant fog occurred early morning 26/3/2008.

The tally for the month of March now stands at 4 which is above average for the month of March and the whole of Autumn to date.

The more moisture around this year seems to be contributing to the high number of fogs.

Harley Pearman

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #27 on: 28 March 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
Overnight cool change 27/3/2008

Not a severe weather event but worth a mention here.

The cold front or cool change that moved through Sydney overnight 26/3/2008 / 27/3/2008 delivered the coldest morning to date this year at Blacktown being a minimum of 11.3 degrees Celsius. Actually, this change seems to have been the first this Autumn in which the wind direction switched to a drier but colder SSW direction. I noted this morning that the air was colder but drier and had a true Autumn feel to it.

It seems that this change has marked the transition from a summer weather pattern to a more Autumn like weather pattern of cooler mornings than what we have experienced over the past several months.

It resulted in a clear Autumn sunny day with cool SSW winds and cooler temperatures.

Harley Pearman

cloudfairy

« Reply #28 on: 29 March 2008, 05:39:43 AM »
As this is for general weather.
On my way back from swimming there was a storm coming across the country in direction to the sea. (Darwin, Nightcliff)
And I observed this ....
Can anyone of you tell me what happened there in the cloud? Is that a rotation???????

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #29 on: 29 March 2008, 06:34:33 AM »
Renate - the cloud looks to be spreading out, perhaps from some descending air or just horizontal winds fanning out at that point.   Or it could be just a random effect in that cloud, but not rotation.

Regards, Michael
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au