Author Topic: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT  (Read 70770 times)

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT
« Reply #60 on: 07 July 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
Friday was like that in Sydney. The forecast was for showers to start late in the day and persist into Saturday morning. Showers were on and off from about 9am, with a quite heavy fall about 1pm in the city (6 inch deep water outside NSW Parliament as I drove past). It then lightened up from about 3pm with only a couple after that and Saturday was dry. Obviously the system came onto them sooner than expected.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #61 on: 19 July 2008, 09:00:16 PM »
Hi all, have not posted in yonks because of commitments but thought now would be apt to get into the throws again.  Weather in Darwin is ever so slowly warming up.  The sun has more bight in it and there are the occasional cloudy period with definite CU structure which is an early sign even in late July that the weather is getting moisture.

Anyway, the reason for the post...I took this photo on the way to work this arvo and it is smoke from a scrub fire silhouetted against the sun and a cloud.  I thought it looked so cool i had to take a few photos.  It's like the sun is exhaling the smoke!
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #62 on: 20 July 2008, 02:39:44 PM »
It looks like next week is going to be quite rainy and cold. The models predict an upper level trough enhancing the development of a rain band in SE QLD and surrounding areas. It's looking positive for the Brisbane dams, but overall isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. If it is anything to go by, I'm eager to know the prognosis for this summer... in the way of storms.

Steve

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #63 on: 21 July 2008, 10:46:41 AM »
Hi all,
Just starting to receive a nice drop of rain (4:38pm) after a day of extremely gusty winds. I can't give a reading from it as my little weather station is out of action for the moment but I would imagine they are up in the 20 - 30kph region. It was (and still is) quite warm today reaching 26Âșc at 3pm. I don't think that will last after the more southerly cold front approaches behind this rain front currently coming in from the north west.

Good to see a bit of the wet stuff about for a change! We're just hoping that we receive a little more than the usual 1mm in total lol :)

Cheers guys,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #64 on: 22 July 2008, 02:12:48 PM »
Rain event in inland New South Wales 20/7/2008

The same frontal system that blasted south west Western Australia bringing gales and rain and causing some property damage brought some good rains to inland New South Wales and much of Victoria Sunday.

The rains spread through the Murray Darling Basin and in New South Wales some good falls include:-

25 mm at Young, 25 mm at Orange, 20 mm at Albury, 17 mm at Wagga Wagga and Forbes. There were many totals in the 15 to 25 mm range (BOM weather stations).

A large portion of the wheat sheep belt received something from this system although falls tended to increase towards the ranges with a distinct rain shadow anywhere east of the Great Dividing Range.

The same system brought solid snow falls too on the higher ranges and reading Weatherzone News today, the snow pack reached 161 CM at Charlottes Pass early 21/7/2008.

There are also good prospects that with the recent shower events that been, occurring, many inland centres should now approach or reach their monthly July average rainfalls.

Not related to New South Wales but good falls also occurred in much of Victoria from the same rain event.

Harley Pearman

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #65 on: 26 July 2008, 02:34:58 AM »
Friday 25 July 2008

Up to 64mm since 9am yesterday with moderate showers persisting. Local creeks are certainly well up this morning.

Almost 100mm since the rain started Wed arvo which is more than I expected for here.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #66 on: 26 July 2008, 02:49:38 PM »
Queensland rain event 23/24 July 2008

The rain event of 23 and 24 July 2008 in Queensland has produced a spate of amazing rainfall reports and a few new weather records have been set for July. While reported extensively on Weatherzone, I have verified many of these and have checked several weather stations in the affected regions. Some do vary but the most amazing aspect of this event is that it has occurred in a region that is normally dry at this time of the year.

Charters Towers:

This town has recorded up to 145.4 mm of rain from 1 July to 25 July which is found to be a new July rainfall record.

Mackay:

An area west of Mackay recorded over 100 mm of rain which is four times its July monthly average.

Townsville:

Ayre south of Townsville has scored its wettest July on record (Weatherzone)

Some rainfall figures for the 7 days 19 July to 25 July which captures the event include:-

North Coast:

Cairns 34 mm, Greenhaven 67 mm, Kareeya 93 mm, Cardwell 77 mm, Cardwell Range 105 mm, Halifax 84 mm, Ingham 81 mm, Tully Sugar Mill 144 mm, Paluma 119 mm.

East Central Coast:

Blue Mountain 106 mm, Byfield 112 mm, Cardowan 127 mm, Dalrympie Heights 135 mm, Doraville 109 mm, Mirani 120 mm, Samuel Hill 136 mm (Samuel Hill picked up 105 mm in one day which appears to be the new highest one day tally for the month of July since record keeping commenced 7 years ago (From Weatherzone News), Yeppoon 89 mm, Rockhampton 72 mm.

West Central Coast:

Charters Towers 123 mm, Mt Mc Connell 152 mm.

South Coast:

Bundaberg 80 mm, Childers South 92 mm, Gin Gin 95 mm, Gladstone 89 mm, Hervey Bay 122 mm.

Even places like Maroochydore scored 119 mm.

Numerous other centres scored more than 50 mm right up and down the Queensland Coast including the south east.

Temperatures:

With the rain came a rather unusual cold snap for the whole area. Checking official weather stations, the maximum temperatures for the places mentioned below are noteworthy:-

Charleville - On July 20 it reached 27.2 C with the minimum being 11.5 C. On 23/7/08 the maximum temperature was just 12 C and the minimum was 8.1 C. A rather large difference in the maximums just 3 days apart.

Roma - Maximum temperatures for 23 and 24 were 12.5 C and 12.2 C with the minimums being the same at 7.7 C.

The places mentioned are not normally associated with maximum daytime temperatures being this low.

Toowoomba - The maximum temperature struggled to reach 10 C on 23/7/08 with the minimum being 7.7 C.

Rockhampton just inside the tropics struggled to reach a maximum of 16.2C with a minimum of 13.3 C (Same day).

Maximum daily temperatures were well below average due to this event.

While this weather event was unfolding in Queensland, I also found out that a cold snap occurring in the Snowy Mountains has delivered the coldest minimum temperatures by a weather station on mainland Australia so far this season at Charlotte Pass being:-

Wednesday 23 being -14C
Thursday 24 being -15.5C
Friday 25 being -15.5C

Overall, it has been a cool to cold 7 days for Eastern Australia and in many places, a wet week.

Harley Pearman

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #67 on: 27 July 2008, 03:05:19 AM »
Thanks for that terrific summary Harley.

I ended up with 119mm in the 48 hours from Wednesday 3pm to Friday 3pm. Quite a few centres around the NSW Northern Rivers received between 100 to 150mm over two days. The highest 24 hour fall I found was 103mm at New Italy (south of Woodburn) to 9am Friday 25th July. Max temps Wed to Fri were typically 13-14 - it is unusual to get more than a day or two of cold maximums here.
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #68 on: 02 August 2008, 08:41:56 AM »
Blacktown weather review - July 2008

Given that I reside in Blacktown, here is an analysis of how July 2008 turned out.

From weather zone, the average maximum July temperature is 16.8 C and the average minimum is 6.1 C.

July 2008 has turned out to be cooler than the long term averages. In this regard:-

Average maximum was 16.6 C being 0.2 C below average.
Average minimum was 5.4 C being 0.7 C below average.

When compared to 2007

Average maximum was 16.5 C and average minimum was 4.6 C.

This makes it 2 years in a row in which average temperatures in July have fallen below average where I live.

Despite having 2 days when it reached 20 C being 14 and 31, there were two periods during the month when temperatures consistently fell below average being 8 to 13 and 22 to 29.

There were 8 days during the month when the maximum temperature for the day was 15 degrees or colder. The coldest was the 28 when the maximum temperature struggled to reach 13 C.

One important feature I have noticed is that while there have been some cold nights, the lowest overnight temperature did not plunge to 0 C unlike 2007 where 2 such nights plunged to 0 C or below. The coldest night was the 12 when the minimum temperature dropped to around 1.5 C.

Rainfall

It rained on 9 days that delivered 31.4 mm across much of the area such as Prospect although it does vary. I got 26.9 mm. Rainfall was below average. The average July rainfall at Prospect is 57.9 mm so rainfall was clearly below average.

Rainfall fell mainly from shower events rather than steady rain periods.

Fog

I observed fog on two mornings being the 7 and 15.

Storms:

While a storm cell passed over part of Sydney on 27 July, no thunder was heard and no lightning was observed where I live. There was no storm during the month. July marks the third month in a row without a thunderstorm and it has been 109 days since the last thunderstorm.

Harley Pearman

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #69 on: 03 August 2008, 05:12:31 PM »
Friday was surprisingly warm with 6.4 to 26.4. It was our first taste of spring.

In early August 2007 similar weather occurred as a result of Northwesterly winds.

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #70 on: 10 August 2008, 07:48:34 PM »
Look at these minimums. Now you tell me, is that cold or what?

August 2008 Minimums

3:  4.6
4:  6.5
5:  8.8
6:  6.5
7:  4.2
8:  3.6
9:  1.8

teacup

« Reply #71 on: 11 August 2008, 08:31:15 AM »
I'm in Southern NSW, near Bega.
We went -2.1 last night and it hasn't gone above 10 all day.
BRRR!
I'll be waving enthusiastically goodbye to Winter..soon.

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #72 on: 12 August 2008, 05:39:40 PM »
For a coastal location, it never ceases to amaze me how cold it gets of a night. 5pm boom, already down in the low teens. 2.8 and 2.6 are the respective minimums.

We're stuck in this never ending pattern of cold south westerlies that shows no signs of abating! Hurry and bring on spring and the storms.

Oh and this static electricity is giving me the... uh well it's annoying.

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #73 on: 22 August 2008, 09:19:12 AM »
Greetings from sunny Darwin.

Has been ages since i posted anything so apologies there to all. 

General weather gearing up for the transition period from dry to build-up soon, so the humidity will be creeping up slowly from September onwards.  A Kimberley heat low is developing to the west and this will have an impact on the buildup starting date from what BoM says when I chatted to a met officer/chaser there.  SST's are rising and flowing further southward which, whilst does not have a 'major' impact on storm convection, it does aid the sea breeze's ability to give some moisture for all this land based heat flowing from the east, sou'east. 

Given what is likely to be a neutral phase for us as far as ENSO goes, these periods always bring better storm frequency and more cyclones to our area. 

I'll keep everyone up to date with the change in weather for us and no doubt the odd photo or two - so here's being optimistic for lots of these (photo) again close !!!

« Last Edit: 22 August 2008, 09:54:17 AM by Mike »
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #74 on: 22 August 2008, 09:17:09 PM »
Rumblings from the bureau today saying that our spate of dry surges will end this week and will be the last. Overnight temps of 17c will be no more and we can expect things to warm to 20c from next week.  (yeah i know it seems warm to you guys!)

We actually had a decent storm last neutral event a couple of years ago and copped 40mm out of it, so the outlook is looking good for an early build up and early storms perhaps.

time to open the cage again!
StormscapesDarwin.com