Author Topic: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT  (Read 70730 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT
« Reply #45 on: 14 May 2008, 05:59:16 AM »
I'll be in Brisbane for my apprenticeship training for the next month (gads!) and noticing the temps at around 24C to 7C this poor tropical being will no doubt feel the cold even more so! Just by chance...does Brisbane have any storms during May?  I'm none the wiser with the weather in this part of the country - any advice?

Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #46 on: 14 May 2008, 07:37:14 AM »
Yes - it happens (even today) though you're more likely to see storms just offshore this time of year. There's no set pattern for May June - you can gets weeks of fine weather when fronts are active over SE Aust, or showers and even rain events if a blocking high occurs.

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #47 on: 14 May 2008, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks for that info, MB.  I'll have to keep an eye on the obs for fronts etc and the forum for anything likely to happen.  At least Southbank is a nice place to photograph......:P
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Karina Roberts (slavegirl)

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #48 on: 15 May 2008, 07:43:37 AM »
Hey Mike,
southbank is a nice place to photograph, but if you want really nice photogenic spots, moreton bay or the goldcoast is the place to be. At the moment we have a few nice looking cells(well they were last time i checked) just offshore from surfers paradise. It looked like a really picturesque(spelling?) scene as i was on my way home today.
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #49 on: 15 June 2008, 06:20:59 AM »
A dry sunny May for 2008 - Blacktown

May 2008 was totally opposite to April 2008. We had a fairly dry stable and sunny May. In particular, the following was noted:-

Rainfall. The lowest rainfall tally for a month this year to date being around 3.1 mm over 6 days. Prospect had 3.9 mm with the long term average around 73 mm.

No thunderstorms either. A storm did pass over parts of Sydney 28/5/2008 but this had no impact whatsoever on Blacktown. That storm did produce lovely contrast and cloud towers but it was observed well to the south east.

There were 3 mornings when I observed fog and the fog of Saturday morning 31/5/2008 hung around to mid morning.

Average temperatures:

Maximum 20.4 C
Min 8 C

Official site at Prospect 3 km to the south

Maximum 20.5 C
Minimum 8.1 C

The official normal averages are (From Weatherzone)

Maximum - 20.2 C
Minimum 10 C

Thus daytime temperatures were slightly above average but night time temperatures were below average. Lack of cloud cover played a part in this.

The warmest day was 15/5/08 and 16/5/08 where it reached 23 C. The coldest day was 18/5/08 where it reached 17.4C.

It failed to reach 20 C on 7 days. In April, it failed to reach 20C on 10 days.

Overall, a very stable dry sunny month with sunny days but colder than normal nights.

This is certainly likely to change this week given that a wet week is expected that will turn this pattern around. To highlight this, light rain has been falling where I live for an hour.

An article in Weatherzone (Checked 1/6/08) has confirmed that Sydney City has endured the driest May since records begun in 1859 with 3 mm falling compared with an average of 122 mm. Sydney city also did well in temperatures with the average of 21 C (Maximum only) being above the normal of 19C.

Much of the state has had a dry May and many towns have recorded unusually dry conditions including Camden, Narrandara, Bega and Ulladulla. This is raising further concerns in the drought affected areas as well.

Overall, May across NSW was drier and there was a lack of NW cloud band.

Harley Pearman
Posted on: 01 June 2008, 08:12:03 PM
Inland Australia rain event 9/6/2008

This rain event may have gone unnoticed given that most weather posts relate to weather events in the more settled parts of Australia. Over this long weekend 7/6/08 to 9/6/08 some big rain fall totals have occurred over the inland desert regions of far north west New South Wales, south west Queensland and north east South Australia worth posting here as a record of the event.

Some areas of far south west Queensland have had some very good rainfalls especially around the Diamantina Basin and Coopers Creek such as:-

Birdsville 57 mm
Roseberth 56 mm
Ballera Gas Field 59 mm
Orientos 61 mm
Thargomindah 26 mm

Far western New South Wales

Tibooburra 26 mm
Broken Hill 14 mm.
White Cliffs 20 mm
Burta 20 mm

Amazingly, it has rained in Broken Hill on the 5/6/08 (4 mm), 6/6/08 (58 mm), 7/6/08 (0.2 mm) and 9/6/08 (14.2 mm). The total for June so far for Broken Hill stands at 76.4 mm which I think would be rare given the location of the town.

In North East South Australia falls around 20 mm has been common such as Moomba.

In southern Northern Territory over the last 7 days 2/6/08 to 9/6/08, the following rain falls have occurred:-

Rabbit Flat 39 mm
Coniston 29 mm
Alice Springs Airport 16 mm
Anzac Oval 19 mm
Arltunga 45 mm
The Garden 45 mm
Alice Springs East 22 mm
Gemtree Park 42 mm
Mt Skinner 38 mm

These are reasonable falls given the location and time of year that this has occurred.

Harley Pearman
Posted on: 09 June 2008, 03:59:47 PM
20 Degree Celsius days in June - First since June 2005

A small but significant weather event for the week where I live in western Sydney. On Wednesday and Thursday 11 and 12 June 2008, the top temperature reached or exceeded 20 degrees Celsius on both days.

The maximum daily temperature of 20 degrees has not been reached in June since June 2005.

Overall it has been a warmer start to June when compared to June 2007 and 2006 and the nights have been warmer but this recent cold change of Friday 13/6/08 seems to have signalled the onset of winter.

Harley Pearman

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #50 on: 15 June 2008, 01:12:11 PM »
but this recent cold change of Friday 13/6/08 seems to have signalled the onset of winter.

Harley Pearman

Just be glad you didn't have a need to leave Glenorie at about 3am this morning. It was absolutely freezing up there with a bit of altitude! Unluckily Richmond is the closest station out of suburbia and that was just over 8 degrees at that time. I was about 150 metres higher in altitude so colder with more wind!

Pretty windy yesterday too, I was on the roof of Prince of Wales hospital at Randwick (12 floors up) and on the western side of the roof the breeze coming around the central structure was almost enough to make it hard to work. Luckily the northern side where I had to work was a bit more sheltered.

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #51 on: 22 June 2008, 09:55:38 AM »
The last month has been fairly mild and unseasonably wet for late May-early June, that of course only lasted several days and for the last few weeks it's been more or less the same typical dry and mild winter pattern bar some spring like temperatures in the last week or so. Rainfall so far is around 227mm which is very impressive for June.

Steve

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #52 on: 23 June 2008, 12:07:15 PM »
Some useful inland NSW rainfalls 19/6/2008

A small area in SW New South Wales centred around Griffith to Wagga Wagga, south to about Culcairn, across to Urana including Narrandera scored a useful rain event Thursday morning. Some of the best rains for a while worth reporting and it fell where it was needed most being the drought affected farming belt. Falls include:-

Narrandera 36 mm
Grong Grong 29 mm
Griffith 24.6 mm
Jingellic 21 mm
Wagga Wagga 20 mm (Plus another 7 mm in follow up showers).
Junee 17 mm

This was limited to this area but anything like this will help. Isolated useful totals outside this area include 25 mm at Eugowra and 16 to 18 mm at Parkes in the Central West. Not drought breaking but helpful and it fell where it is needed most. Allot more is required.

Sydney:

Thursday night isolated moderate falls occurred including Fairfield City Farm 33 mm, Horsley Park 31 mm, Toongabbie 18 mm, Prospect 17 mm and Seven Hills 12 mm. The rest of Sydney had between 2 and 9 mm.

Harley Pearman

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #53 on: 03 July 2008, 01:25:29 PM »
June monthly weather features for where I live (Blacktown) 2008

June 2008 turned out to be a warmer than expected month with both the minimum average and maximum average temperatures being "above average".

Looking at Weatherzone readings:-

The 40 year average maximum June temperature for the Prospect area is 17.3 Celsius and the minimum average monthly temperature is 7.4 Celsius. (These are based on 1965 to 2006 figures that I found from Weatherzone).

The official average maximum temperature was 18.2 Celsius and the official average minimum temperature was 9.7 C.

Thus maximum temperatures were 0.9 C above average and minimums were 2.3 C above average.

Compare to June 2007

Av Max - 16.15 C
Av Min - 7.2 C.

June 2008 was 2 C warmer when averaged out daytime and warmer at night when compared to June 2007.

Rainfall:

The average rainfall is 73.3 mm for the month. This year 102 mm fell. Rainfall was also above average. Rain fell on 14 days at Prospect. The warm cloudy nights in the first couple of weeks helped to keep minimum temperatures above average.

For the second month in a row, no storms occurred.

Where I live 3 km away to the north, it rained on 13 days that produced close to 96 mm. This was less than June 2007 where some 290 mm of rain fell on 17 days (BOM).

Temperatures for Blacktown are similar to Prospect and there is little variation.

I did not see any frost but observed 2 fogs in my locality.

A big feature missing from last year was that 5 days this June reached 20C. This was a big turnaround from June 2007.

Overall, June 2008 saw warmer days, less rainfall and more pleasant conditions for winter.

Harley Pearman

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #54 on: 03 July 2008, 04:12:23 PM »
At Rydalmere had our first serious frost for the year Tuesday morning. Water frozen on the top of the hose and while the frost wasn't obvious on my back lawn it was on the front lawns of some of the neighbours. As for the last two days, the wind has been interesting. I was on a roof today at Rosebery doing some work and it was quite gusty, the Sydney Airport site shows gusts got to 76 kph at the time I was up there. Annoying!

mystorm

« Reply #55 on: 04 July 2008, 11:44:51 AM »
Weather in Brisbane QLD @ 5:40pm on the 3rd July 2008

Current temperature: 15.2 degrees and dropping
Current weather: Fine
Weather outlook: Showers developing and increasing to rain over the weekend and early part of next week
Storms this month: 0
Rainy days / nights this month: 0 (0mm)
Foggy mornings this month: 1 (isolated but thick - Delaying traffic at Brisbane Airport)

That's about it...looking forward to some rain over the weekend  :)

mystorm

« Reply #56 on: 06 July 2008, 09:49:42 AM »
Some really nice soaking rain hanging around...The Mount Stapylton radar appears to be down though  >:(

10.2mm as of now :)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #57 on: 07 July 2008, 03:00:06 AM »
Yeah ... radar unavailability has sure been annoying. Grafton was down until 4pm Friday when there were offshore storms and showers developing during the day, then Mt Staplyton went offline that night.

Received 30.2mm here at McLeans Ridges until 9am Saturday and 3.7mm to 9am today Sunday 6th July.

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #58 on: 07 July 2008, 01:12:16 PM »
Current NSW drought - July 6 2008

I found an excellent storey on the drought gripping inland NSW. While I have been finding articles and posting about the current drought situation and referring to Victoria, it is best that this one be placed here as it relates to the NSW situation only.

Drought Extends it's Grip SMH 6/7/2008

at http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/drought-extends-its-grip/2008/07/0

Most critical elements are:-

a) Many drought ravaged farmers are now expecting a locust plague on top of crop failures. Rain desperately needed as another 2.3% of the state slips back into drought. In total 65% of the state is in drought with another 20.9% marginal.

b) Yet 14% is satisfactory which is the coastal belt.

c) During June, it was a horror month in some areas where 10 mm of rain fell. Although a useful rain event did occur around Griffith and Narrandera but those areas outside this region fared badly.

The exception was broken Hill where a staggering 80 mm fell but its average June rainfall is 17 mm (This is one anomaly).

A rain event is forecast this week but falls of 50 mm is required to put enough moisture into the ground to see out the rest of winter. Currently, most of the 5.2 Million hectares of crops planted is under incredible threat of failure.

As the drought tightens its grip across New South Wales, new areas to be added include Hillston, parts of Mudgee, Narribri and northern New England. This brings the total area of the state to 65% affected.

To reinforce this in the Riverina, some rainfall Tally's include:-

Corowa - Normal 48 mm, Received 14 mm
Culcairn - Normal 46 mm, Received 26 mm
Griffith - Normal 35 mm, Received 40 mm (Above average due to the single rain event).
Howlong Normal 45 mm, Received 12 mm
Narrandera Normal 34 mm, Received 62 mm (Well above average due to a rain event).
Albury - Normal 73 mm, Received a little over 21 mm.
Wagga - Normal 42 mm, Received 40 mm (There was some rain rain / shower activity here that helped).

(This concentrates in a region very badly affected by the drought).

Compare this to Sydney for June and no wonder why the coastal areas and Sydney is completely free of drought.

Belrose 206 mm, Turramurra 200 mm, St Ives 198 mm, Gordon West 165 mm, Avalon 146 mm, Berowra 142 mm, Glenorie 138 mm, Rose Bay 135 mm, Sydney 127 mm, Marsfield 125 mm.

(Top 10 wettest suburbs in Sydney)

(Driest localities in Sydney)

Ashfield 6 mm (I think this might be an error and might need to be verified as it does not look right), Badgerys Creek 67 mm, Sydney Olympic Part 73 mm, Liverpool 82 mm, Bankstown 85 mm, Richmond 86 mm, Glenmore Park 87 mm, Concord 91 mm.

Looking at this, good rainfalls continue to occur on the coast like Sydney however good solid drought breaking rains continue to fail to reach the inland in the worst affected areas.

Harley Pearman

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #59 on: 07 July 2008, 02:56:55 PM »
Just a quick post to comment on the high quality foreast by the QLD BoM yesterday.  Morning forecast was for "a few showers".  It started raining at 9am and was still raining (and looked like continuing for hours)...BoM's 11am forecast..."a few showers".  Nice one.  Not sure if they updated it later or not but it basically rained ALL day yesterday.  Bit of an oopsie by the BoM.

Macca