Author Topic: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT  (Read 70759 times)

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: General Weather Thread: QLD / NSW / ACT / NT
« Reply #105 on: 08 January 2009, 02:13:06 PM »
Hot spell - Western Sydney 5 to 7 January 2009:

Over the past 3 days the maximum daily temperature at Blacktown has been in the order of:-

38.9C on 5/1/2009.
37.7C on 6/1/2009.
38.5C on 7/1/2009.

Taken from the Prospect weather station. Prospect is approximately 3 km south east from where I live. It highly likely that it reached 38C in the centre of Blacktown on the 6/1/2009 given that nearby surrounds actually topped 38C to 40C on all 3 days.

In Penrith the maximum temperature over the same period was:-

39C on 5/1/2009.
41.6C on 6/1/2009
40.5C on 7/1/2009.

The strongest burst of heat to affect the Sydney basin in almost 2 years has been limited mainly to Campbelltown, Penrith, Richmond and Blacktown (Certainly west of Parramatta) or areas where the sea breeze had less of an impact.

Interesting between 1 pm and 3 pm 7/1/2009, it was around 25C to 26C along parts of Sydney Harbour due to the sea breeze but over parts of western Sydney west of Parramatta, maximum temperatures were topping the 38C to 40C mark.

The highest maximum temperature in NSW 7/1/2009 appears to have been Narranderra and Wagga Wagga on 42C and nearby regions topping out between 38C and 41C.

As at 6pm 7/1/2009, the cooler southerly wind change was located around Batemans Bay thus for coastal areas, this will end the current hot spell.

Of interest on both mornings of 6/1/2009 and 7/1/2009 between midnight and 6 am, very weak shallow SE changes or SE sea breezes affected much of eastern Sydney. While they were shallow, they were strong enough to generate a layer of very low stratus cloud at around sunrise that burnt off after 7 am. I am not sure if they were sea breezes or weak southerly changes but it is something that I have not seen occur in previous years. The cool changes that occurred on both mornings at around the same time were not forecast the previous day.

Harley Pearman

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #106 on: 29 September 2009, 03:53:47 PM »
Way to dig up an old thread but I think it's relevant to today's weather events.

Such as it being unseasonably cold, considering how warm and dry it has been (in SE QLD). Not so much inland, but the near the coast in particular found some very interesting temperature inversions.

Early this morning, the following centres recorded the following (as per BoM's website).

Brisbane 8.7C
Brisbane AP 10.1C
Amberley 8.7C
Archerfield 9.5C
Coolangatta 5.8C
Gold Coast Seaway 9.7C
Maroochydore 4.5C
Nambour 9.8C
Redcliffe 13.8C
Toowoomba 5.8C

I'm not sure if they broke any records, but I don't think so.

Skimming over the obs, there were Southwest to Northwest winds prevailing and these were very dry. Dew points all round were under 0C for most of the day with humidity levels crashing to 10%.

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #107 on: 21 December 2010, 07:24:43 PM »
My my, I had no idea it was going to get this nippy tonight. They had only forecast a low of 19°C, but it is already much lower than this.

It's possible to break a December record (for minimums) given the current conditions.

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #108 on: 22 December 2010, 01:33:56 AM »
my station got to 12.6 last night brrrrrrrrrr

Antonio

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #109 on: 22 December 2010, 01:46:01 AM »
Lismore nsw has beaten its lowest minimum on record last night before it was 11.3C and last night it was 9.1C

My place in Ballina reached down to 12.6C but Ballina airport 11.2C so for December wow it was chilly

I wonder how  your place went Michael Bath since you live in the hills.

Antonio.

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #110 on: 22 December 2010, 05:51:44 PM »
Hi everyone. Think we have been stuck in a timewarp and gone back 3 months ago! The minimum here this morning was 9.9c, not a new record though but cool enough. Long term average minimum for December is about double that. Monday mornings minimum was 13.4c and apparently we got the lowest in the state! Not quite a 'White Christmas' but looks like it could be a wet one in a few places.