Author Topic: QLD & NSW Severe Storms w/ Supercells, Large Hail, Lightning: 12-19 Dec 2010  (Read 59260 times)

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
We had some late night storms sweep through last night from 2am to 6am and they were very CG active i think that today there will be one more burst before the next rain event.

Antonio.

• Stove pipe F3
Wow can not believe this but it is already thundering again with a cell just a touch north from here (Ballina) and although WZ not showing CGs i think there is definatley activity there, 29 here at the moment and i think this cell is just the beginning.

Antonio.

Offline Paul D

• Multi-vortex F1
Couple more from yesterday (16th Dec)
Panorama of storm over app Kilcoy

Timelapse of the storm inflow on the NW side of the precip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiquPi19rCo#

Cheers
Paul

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
John Allen said:

Actually Jimmy I would think that the shear was a more key ingredient here...its been missing for much of the season and every time it pops its head up suddenly there are supercells.

I never commented on the shear - my suggestion was that steep lapse rates led to disorganised storms to explode and rapidly become severe and I guess combined with shear was able to rotate quite quickly.

Im a space of 15 minutes, a right mover developed rapid organisation as shown in my series of photographs.

This is by far the supercell outbreak of the season.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
Nice CG shot MB. I thought about getting out of bed then promptly fell asleep again!

Some photos from me yesterday.

Mid morning storms move towards Kyogle and started to surge north (looking towards Stanthorpe)

Chased up on the eastern downs first of all watching the right mover that hit Warwick. Looked good in the first photo below (note you can see the E-W outflow boundary from the Stanthorpe morning cell to the left of this storm extending into the distant west).

However shortly afterwards outflow surged south and killed it. 3 stitch shot over 30 minutes of an outflow boundary at work for those that haven't seen one before. 

Meet up with Macca shortly afterwards and watched some nice crisp towers go up west of Toowoomba.

We then headed towards Inglewood to catch the monster storm down there however as Macca said, as soon as we got there it became outflow dominated with viewing not helped by a rogue shower that developed right in front of it.

Still put out some nice outflow features as it took off towards the NE.

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
A crazy right moving storm just came through Coffs. I was taking shots of the lighting with a couple of other guys from Coffs and witnessed quite an amazing microburst at around midnight! Was quite a sight to see and hear! I'll upload some photos tomorrow :)

I just off the phone to Mum and Dad who reported incredibly strong winds as the storm passed through their place with some minor damage - a few branches down and an oak snapped in half. Amazing as well was my Mum's pair of thongs that normally sit in the middle of the breezeway in between the house, were this morning found in two completely different areas. The first one 20m up the hill to the east whilst the second one was 25m down the hill to the west!

I've attached a copy of the Grafton radar image from 1:50am this morning showing the strong echoes of the cell about to pass over Dorrigo (and then onto you Kane in Coffs). Considering the radar echo from the southern had to pass through a fair bit of the line to the north, those reflectivities may even be underestimating strength?

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers

Nice stuff there james, I really like that structure in the last pic...but can't work out for the life of me the perspective...is that the left hand wall of the mesocyclone with inflow banding coming from the left?

Thanks John, unfortunately we got their just a bit too late and missed the main event. The last pic was taken looking pretty much due east. The part in the middle distance is where the base/wall cloud was located however that whole line you see now is pure outflow shelf cloud surging north (left) undercutting it and the inflow tail.

Offline Mathew Townsend

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • Watching storms since 1998
I am at Lismore for a night. I can see alot of forming thunder cells in the west. Looking good instability and conditions. Everything are just right! Its so hot and muggy. Maxed out 33 degrees with 70% humidity! Storms would love that!

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Severe storm Warnings issued for QLD and SEQ again. Seems to be a few nice storms building to the west. Has been a pretty good week after a poor start to the season.

The GFS keeps throwing up the scenario of a lot of rain over the next week for QLD.

Colin

Offline enak_12

• Elephant Trunk F2
Hey James I think that's a different storm. This is the one with the micro burst.

This is really the only photo I got of the micro burst itself. It was a lot whiter in real life and moved crazy fast hitting the ground then spreading out blocking out the city lights. It made a fair roar as well.

I saw heaps of leaves, bark and branches on the link road on my way home plus a tree across one lane.

My night started a lot earlier at Mylestom where I waited for storms to form until evening. When they finally did they created some cool photo ops with the Bellinger River in the foreground and the Dorrigo Plateau behind.

I have my eyes set on these towers at Urunga. I know they must get struck alot and I'm just waiting for the right storm. Wasd so close last night.

I moved to Sawtell after this and watched nhew storms form. The micro burst storm had some crazy cg's though I missed the best ones looking for a spare battery as happens!!

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
To add to yesterday's great reports and photos, Ive some shots of the supercellular storms that hit Western Sydney, ,1st two shots are from a storm that intensified over Parramatta around One o'clock, rapidly developing rfb, then inflow bands kicked in with the moist NEasterly producing brief HP characteristics before gusting out with strong winds and pea to marble size hail,both shots are looking NW,

The following two shots are of the  the Penrith supercell looking west from here at Parramatta before it veered NE, , with lightning and inflow bands feeding into the core,

Breathtaking photos from all , excellent effort Shane and Enak , well done, Cheers., Con

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Had intense power packed cell hit us at Bracken Ridge. Very quick but it had extremely strong winds.

Some amazing reports from a couple of chasers on the WZ forum. Waiting to see photos and reports later tonight and tomorrow.

The Gold Coast had a waterspout from the cell that passed through around 4.00pm this afternoon.

Waterspout Hits the Gold Coast

• Stove pipe F3
Storms are chasing me!!!

Hello Everyone today i have turned my frown upside down with this massive gust front that came through about 20 minutes ago producing 83.4kmh gusts from the South

Here are todays images i hope you enjoy them :)

Happy chasing

Antonio.

« Last Edit: 19 December 2010, 03:29:22 AM by Antonio (stormboy) »

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Those are beautiful shots of the lightning last night Kane, and James great set from yesterday. Wasn't able to head out after all yesterday, or today until this one...

This is the storm that rapidly developed around Coraki about 1.5 hours ago. Really explosive updrafts and big guster for a while, before it rapidly died over South Ballina. This is the same storm as Antonio posted photos of.

First 3 pics at McLeans Ridges and the rest at Alstonville.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Nice photos from the Ballina cell Antonio and Michael.  GREAT PHOTOS EVERYONE that has posted on this thread.

The inner Beacon on Moreton Bay registered 104 Km/h with the cell that went through this afternoon.

It looks as if this weather pattern is going to continue into next week. "Nudge nudge wink wink" anyone want to start a new thread.  ;).

Still storms lurking around this evening, hopefully a lightning show could be on the cards which would be good so I can get some photos and improve my technique.

Stay safe and enjoy.

Colin