Author Topic: Darwin Storm events 2008/2009  (Read 91769 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: Darwin Storm events 2008/2009
« Reply #120 on: 16 January 2009, 02:29:51 AM »
Beaut photo Michael, everyone's been asking me the same thing....where's the link for the sat image !!
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #121 on: 16 January 2009, 03:31:59 AM »
It's from the MODIS website where you can get 250 metre resolution images but it's hit and miss whether the polar orbiters pass over at the right time:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/

You can search the NT images here:
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/index.php?subset=Australia2

I've linked to lots of stuff from here:
http://australiasevereweather.com/links/ozsatpic.htm

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #122 on: 16 January 2009, 05:30:40 AM »
Thanks MB, will bookmark these links as a resource.  Nice and clear images.
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #123 on: 17 January 2009, 08:44:45 AM »
BoM visit 16Jan 2009

I was lucky to have an invite to join in to hear and see their morning 'chart discussion' where they view the past 24 hour obs/satpics/radar/wind profiles/storm possibility and also the outlook weather profiles.  Highly enthralling and interesting!  I mentioned to MB that I did not realize how much I actually knew because I understood their jargon and interpretation of things as they went from one image/graphic/satpic to the next and onto the wind charts.  It's not as easy as the public thinks - a lot of decision making and deciphering models to interpret even a daily forecast!  Plenty of info and I'd love to have some of their radar software!

A couple of things that members might find interesting is that as with NSW, Qld, SA and Vic you all have the SSW graphic that is posted on the BoM warning's page when severe storms are posted and you get that grid map overlayed over the area?  Well we don't have that - yet - Michael oley has been working on this for Darwin. I asked him why on earth it was not done years earlier considering the amount of storm activity we get and he said it was purely due to the 'assessment factor re risk' per large hail.  Not so much for wind damage as most of our storms do produce 90k/mh wind gusts when they get ramped up, but it is the hail factor that equates heavily into this expensive exercise.

But we should see this down the track so we'll be up on par with our southern counterparts.  They also have new software for storm assessment and making warnings.  They can create or delete storms on this program which show signs of being SSWarned and can also do a similar thing with overlaying onto different maps - bloody interesting I can tell you!

BoM do in fact work hard to forecast storms here and whilst there are some who give them a hard time, their workload during storms is intense.  By the time they send an SSW it has dissipated, when they don't send one it fires up!  This new software will allow them to make a determination quicker and give them space to keep an eye on 4 computer screens at once!  Their window of nowcasting is pretty tight also, whilst they have several programs they can view for convective purposes, the weather is so unpredictable here it's no wonder they get given a hard time, but for my part it was fascinating.

The monsoon I saw and heard is traveling south for the winter but we're expecting monsoonal showers n stuff from tonight.  The trough lies well inland and the low attached to it (ex-Charlotte) is not doing much at all.  They said there was not much activity to our NW convective wise and most of the vigorous forming of storms/cloud is to the N/NW/NE  A low and an eddie around the traps but not doing anything.  The senior forecaster said that the monsoonal inflow through Asia and Indonesia was brisk!  Gale force winds in some areas and through the levels it was strong and they were a bit miffed as to why there's not much more activity - although there was a chuckle throughout the room as he mentioned our 65+ rainfall from a couple of storms in less than an hour yesterday arvo from two storms!.  A bit of finger pointing at a few officers as to say 'Well? did you pick that fella?'

It's given me a better understanding of the weather and look even further outside the square and the confidence to apply my chasing to looking at certain things around the atmosphere and especially the winds - they're pretty crucial!

* Added some neat cloud base shots from storms yesterday - the cropped one is something I've never seen in my life - downdraft pushing through the cloud and meeting changes in temperature!  It looked like a dome lowering and opening up like a flower - insane stuff and was amazing.

Cheers all!
« Last Edit: 17 January 2009, 09:08:39 AM by Mike »
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #124 on: 27 January 2009, 03:43:04 AM »
This current monsoon trough just won't go away!  Whilst chasing has been deplorable, the conditions this trough has produced is quite impressive.  4 lows, 2 cyclones from them, trough has moved from the Top End way down to the base of the NT, hovered for two weeks.  The returned to the Top End and actually strengthened which each movement up and down the NT.  Whilst Darwin had its driest January rainfall ever - although you would not think so given the rain days - the monsoon is now once again being invigorated as it lies across our fair city.  For a trough to remain active for almost 5 weeks shows the season is living up to its name.

I don't think I've seen December/January this lax for chase worthy storms.  There's been the odd storm embedded with rain bands but in essence not worth a chase at all or for a 'photographic opportunity' because the radar is very deceptive and some think that lots of colours means storms - nah - it means rainfall intensity and naturally you're going to get the odd bolt exiting, but it's Russian roulette with where to actually go for a strike and you'd be extremely fortunate to nab a photo.

Structure wise the storms have been good when in between bands, but as this monsoon deepens once again it's going to be a wet couple of weeks I suspect.
StormscapesDarwin.com

cloudfairy

« Reply #125 on: 28 January 2009, 04:01:51 PM »
I got a little pulsestorm yesterday around Berry Springs, I suppose.

This pic is a DRI. My first ever. So, you are welcome to criticize it. I know it isn't really sharp. I guess, the 5 pics are not identical despite I used a tripod.

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #126 on: 28 January 2009, 04:27:35 PM »
Hi Cloudfariy,

Not so much a criticism..... but some thoughts on your the HDR image.

Try only using only 3 photos; until you have the knack of it. As 5 is unnecessarily complicated when you are starting out.

You might also want to review the individual exposure settings as the foreground is well underexposed i.e. try -1 0 1

The blurring maybe from a time delay between photos... you should be able to rattle off 3 shots in under a second. (obviously depending on your settings!)

Not sure if you did it in CS4, but have a look at the photomatix software if you want to get into HDR.

My 2 bob worth!

Cheers,
.adrian

cloudfairy

« Reply #127 on: 28 January 2009, 04:57:05 PM »
thank you Adrian!

Photomatix cost money......
I did it with PS CS4

You may be right. I'll try -1 0 1 next time...I can do that in one click, yep.

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #128 on: 28 January 2009, 06:12:52 PM »
Was out rural today getting some cloud observation education for myself - book in hand naturally. There was a lot of CB's trying to get to anvil stage but just a real lack of instability.  Lifting was no problem with them, but they just collapsed once they reached the EQ level.  There were broad/short anvils on a couple further inland but their structure was extremely lame.  Only towards Annaburro (near Jabiru) did some convection collect together and show some promise, but for my three hours out in the yonder I saw not one hint of lightning. I was commenting to MB that most of the structures were Cumulonimbus Congestus & Calvis - shower borne CBs which needed to step up to the next levels to Incus and very weak anvils on the ones I saw quickly dispersed to wispy cirrus.

The monsoon is coming full strength again tomorrow (Wed 28th) so once again chasing is on the back burner.  Whilst there's always a whinge from me re not being able to chase because of the squally showers, it has proven to be beneficial this time around and I've made good use of the gaps in rain bands to catch up on some important observation criteria for myself.  It's made picking stronger cells or cells with potential a little easier to spot since I've been out and about. 

The last few monsoon periods I've been really slack and not bothered to venture out, but this season I decided that I'd get out and do some homework between monsoon bands, that it's just as important to know what you're looking at as opposed to guess work, which inevitably could result in a bust or a decent set of images/info.

Just some thoughts as I listen to the rain.    The images below is typical of what was around in the areas and me looking oh so serious on what I was doing!.  One of the images has low topped CUs with two sets of lowering condensation walls which was nice to see come down.  Temps out there were around 33 in the sun - quite a contrast to the 29-30 in the city and was very humid.

Cheers everyone - really do hope you get some rainfall after these horrific 40C days southern cities are getting.
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #129 on: 02 February 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
Chase report Sun Feb 1 2009

Seeing fairly active lightning way in the south from the city I decided to head home and check the obs after work at 1am and get some supplies and head out.  I decided against going east even though there were some cells active, but they were petering out.  Headed down to Adelaide River some 100km's the south and about 20 mins out from my chase intercept area there were big positive strikes from dome to ground, and lots of CGs.  I was going to turn off at a couple of open areas and set up and perhaps that might have been the way to go.  Driving with the window down i noticed warm air tending to cooler as I approached my locale - I'm thinking...this aint good - outflow!  The lightning had stopped for a bit and there were more low based CGs about 20km's ahead - all of a sudden I got hit with a heavy rain curtain and promptly hit the anchors and did a U-turn.  After out running the shaft I stopped at another locale heading north and waited...again the rain had caught me!  It was then I knew I had mistimed the strikes by only 10-15 minutes.  How disappointing!

The cluster of storms near Batchelor were pretty strong.  I had seen them start to form on radar at 1:30am and were looking good, the towers were hidden behind a gust front I could see whilst driving but two towers pushed out and above this - albeit for only ten minutes. that was my window of opportunity right there.  No shots this time but a good chase experience and I guess nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Radar loop included:

---> Darwin radar loop

The cells were weakening as they moved inland, but of course with no laptop with me and little coverage it was 50/50.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2009, 06:50:32 AM by Michael Bath »
StormscapesDarwin.com

cloudfairy

« Reply #130 on: 14 February 2009, 11:07:53 AM »
Finally the monsoon trough is moving north. It is predicted to be off shore of Darwin on Tuesday. So, I expect some thunderstorms coming with it over the weekend.
The second half of the week is predicted to be pretty dry rainwise....so hot and humid air ..... I hope for some nice Cbs, with enough dry air in it, in clear sky that spitting heaps of lighting for maybe the following weekend. Would be nice!!

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #131 on: 14 February 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Can you believe it people that the last actual decent lightning active storm worth photographing was November 29!  I missed out on a couple during December - but talk about a glut!  Monsoons are great for rain and the rivers, but I say adios to it !
StormscapesDarwin.com

cloudfairy

« Reply #132 on: 15 February 2009, 10:49:56 AM »
Today looks so much better. Still stupid northerlies, but better convection is bubbling up. Already got some nice cloud cloud pics.

I get more and more excited......can feel the storms coming back!!!!! Believe me, Mike. This weekend and first half of next week will be much better than the last 6 weeks.
The trough will push the thunderstorms back towards us.....present them to us!!!!! And we will take them :)))))))

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #133 on: 16 February 2009, 08:23:17 AM »
That's an amazingly long time between decent storms opportunities - can you recall other seasons like this Mike ?

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #134 on: 16 February 2009, 09:04:38 PM »
Hi MB.  2007/8 was a little dismal, but the glut then was around 3 weeks here and there.  This monsoon has lingered inland for two months at least - and counting.  It produced daily showers and maybe a week of actual 'monsoonal squalls' but it has kept temps and instability ' stable' if that could be deemed appropriate.  A strong NW or NE flow really does not allow storms proper to form and definitely has kept them away even inland since the time mentioned.  Personally due to only chasing for around 3 years now I can't go back further than that.

Storms today were much more organised, healthy and came in from 2pm till around 6pm.  Got a few shots from the wharf of them forming with rain curtains.  Saw two massive strikes right near work as we watched the storm rise directly in front of us - it brought a smile to my face and the resounding concussion boom that rattled all the windows at work cracked everyone up.

Renate is right re the setups.  Hot days with humid nights and mornings.  Clear skies till around lunch and then the cumulus really get going and mature to CB stage.  Early anvils today around lunch hinted that things were favorable.  Storms are pushing both from inland and from the coastal areas, so the convergence of the trough is evident on radar.  At 9am this morning coastal convergence was in my face with a line of  immature CBs stretching  the coast on the NW side of Darwin and anvil near the Tiwi's - always a plus to see this stuff around so early.

The trough lies just north of Katherine and this is the weather I enjoy - storms forming along a boundary each day!  Hope to get some pics over the next two nights as they're my days off.  Everything is crossed, but I'll post my other photos today sometime.
StormscapesDarwin.com