Author Topic: Darwin Storm events 2008/2009  (Read 91608 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: Darwin Storm events 2008/2009
« Reply #60 on: 25 November 2008, 10:07:06 AM »
A few storms fired up on the coastal fringes early this morning.  There was some active storms in the rural areas which did not make it to Darwin during the night,but by 1am there was some ferocious convection speed wise along the coast.  I had watched cells from my home gathering so much oomph that I decided to dash into town to try and get some images.  A lot of intra-cloud stuff but a few CGs - did not manage to get any as my enthusiasm was waining quickly once the crawlers came out to play.

Today's instability is through the roof with sfc LI's in the high single digit field.  Koolpinya has just fired up with a massive storm with fast updrafts.  I've included a couple of pics of the storm as it happens.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #61 on: 25 November 2008, 03:17:45 PM »
24 November 2008

After a lot of driving the night before and getting bugger all for it, I was rewarded with a few early morning shots at about half 3.  This cell died pretty quick with one on the coast starting up, went for a drive to Nightcliffe but the storm was quite a bit off the coast.  Anyway please enjoy!

Cheers,
.adrian

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #62 on: 25 November 2008, 08:26:52 PM »
Yeah, the storms were active but intra cloud stuff was the main menu that morning.  At least you got something for the effort which is all one can ask for really!  At least we were out there eh pal?!!!!  Renate will have to give us some clues as to where the storms are going to fire up at night as she's in the thick of things at the BoM - so how about it Renate? :)
StormscapesDarwin.com

cloudfairy

« Reply #63 on: 26 November 2008, 08:04:40 AM »
Renate will have to give us some clues as to where the storms are going to fire up at night as she's in the thick of things at the BoM - so how about it Renate? :)

I will check on them this afternoon and give you all the details I can get. The same for the rest of the week.

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #64 on: 26 November 2008, 09:06:22 AM »
Koolpinya storm has risen again earlier than yesterday and is fairly large again.  I may get some pics on the way out as I'm required at work earlier today :( -    These storms really do show nice thick structure and love em!
StormscapesDarwin.com

cloudfairy

« Reply #65 on: 26 November 2008, 09:15:07 AM »
Oh yeah, thats a nice one.... and I won't be there :( ....... again.....
it is so mean, to see them on the radar all the time and not be able to get out there.

cloudfairy

« Reply #66 on: 26 November 2008, 12:39:55 PM »
Soooo, that's what I could get for now.

We do have fresh westerlies and northeasterly steering. and with respect to the seabreeze, storms are most likely to occur in the East of Darwin (in a line 40km from the coast maybe) and moving southwards. Probably the same the next days.
Thats the best I could get.

Will be updated over the next days.

cloudfairy

« Reply #67 on: 26 November 2008, 01:22:22 PM »
there is great squall line forming, as it seems. from Dorisvale to Cooinda.

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #68 on: 26 November 2008, 01:27:24 PM »
Thanks cloudfairy - any info that can be given will be repaid in full !!! with Beer or other refreshments !

cheers,
.adrian

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #69 on: 26 November 2008, 08:35:36 PM »
Need more of this :)  No point attempting to 'chase' around town - that's just really photographic opportunities. 
StormscapesDarwin.com

cloudfairy

« Reply #70 on: 27 November 2008, 06:24:16 PM »
I was at the Wharf for dinner with some friends....and caught a nice view of a far away storm. and a rainbow-cloud (don't know how to say that in english, but you see it below)
It's really nothing special, but the first storm I could catch since nearly two weeks, so I'm less frustrated ......at last quiet happy with it for a start......as a warm up for saturday ;)
but don't be too critical.

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #71 on: 27 November 2008, 10:00:09 PM »
You should not be too hard on yourself.  Coming from the other side of the planet to do research and at least seeing some storms in the rural area is at least a taste!.  Nice pic of the cloud - looks like luminescence you've got and well done!

I made a terrible mistake after work and did not go with my gut instinct to stay in town after seeing convection form along the coast at Nightcliff at 11:30pm- which for other members is only about 10mins drive from Darwin - I headed to Nightcliff but it did not produce anything and without any aids to visually guide me I decided to go home...but a storm brewed to the west so I headed near my home and set up - the storm was very hard to pick even with city lights illuminating the cloud base.  It was active, but only every 3 minutes.  I managed 3 CG shots but they were rubbish so I deleted them, but another set of storms formed adjacent Darwin and I flew into town to get some shots - you guessed it - viewed massive CG's - some triple strikes under the cloud base and by the time I got back to town it was moving out to sea quickly.

I really messed up big time with decision making and it cost me what I know would have been incredible CG shots over the coast - they were very close to shore and running through the towers to the sea from what I viewed driving in....I'm pretty annoyed people as you'd expect given I should never, ever do that again!  I hate missing night time lightning - it's what I stay up late for!

But in a positive way it's taught me another thing about chasing - well, 'chasing' as in a photographic opportunity per se and one should always go with what one knows, not with what one 'thinks' is the best option.

The radar loop is here - I'm located 21km south of all of it and burning rubber to get back into town!

---> Berrimah radar loop
« Last Edit: 02 December 2008, 01:26:30 AM by Michael Bath »
StormscapesDarwin.com

cloudfairy

« Reply #72 on: 28 November 2008, 04:28:38 AM »
Oh, that again was a storm developing over the northern suburbs. It suddenly started to rain heavily over Casuarina Campus, but I couldn't see any lightning. So I thought it would be just heavy rain. But even when....from my location there I hardly be able to make any good shots.

cloudfairy

« Reply #73 on: 28 November 2008, 05:21:58 AM »
So, guys, I guess I can bring good news to you.

Today and tomorrow, we still get "just" inland storms, but the northwest steering has weakened (?) so, they can't tell for Saturday atm, but on Sunday there will be storms in Darwin and on the coast. For Saturday they say that if the storms won't get into Darwin, they will be close to Darwin.

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #74 on: 28 November 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
Have confirmed from the bureau that there's no monsoonal flow or anything whatsoever affecting Darwin or the Top End at this time and is simply a broad area of low pressure stretching through the interior.  Easterlies, whilst they won't be dramatic are returning so that will make for some decent steering winds once more.  CAPE values have been regularly 5000'j/kg inland and the weekend is set to be the same with LI's at the sfc at -4, -5!  Storms today inland have been monsters - really well structured, strong and tall.
StormscapesDarwin.com