Author Topic: Lets Look at the other side: VIC, SA, TAS day to day weather  (Read 81389 times)

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
RE: Lets Look at the other side: VIC, SA, TAS day to day weather
« Reply #75 on: 17 April 2008, 02:53:21 PM »
No much to report on - just cooler days and cold nights - got 5 mm on monday, but apart from that - nothing else to write home about.  ::)
PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #76 on: 24 April 2008, 03:29:41 PM »
The weather has been extremely quiet in VIC of late - no storms to report - just cold foggy/smoggy nights and warm clear days. It was forecasted for some rain to hit here over the long weekend - which will help the gardens here.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #77 on: 25 April 2008, 01:26:26 AM »
Looks a lot more interesting for you from Saturday onwards. I had noticed the lack of any weather warnings in VIC the past several days - and a few complaints about the smoke - nice satpic of it here:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/FAS_SEAustralia3/2008114/FAS_SEAustralia3.2008114.terra.1km.jpg

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #78 on: 25 April 2008, 05:21:37 AM »
If the BoM forecast is right (and most times they are not) - Mike B, then you may be right - there is talk of a slow-moving cold-air cold front moving in during saturday - providing very cold temps, small hail (prob h1-h2 on harley's hail scale) and cold winds - a taste of winter, so to speak. There may be some snowfalls in the higher alps too. Maybe some storms possible - worth me getting the camera-video-phone up and running.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #79 on: 26 April 2008, 04:24:29 AM »
Big Pete

I have been looking at Victoria's weather situation as well. Patterns have stagnated and a persistent high pressure cell has resulted in an extremely dry April to date across large areas of the state.

There are many centres in northern Victoria and SW NSW where it has rained on just one day and some centres have had 2 mm of rain so far this month which is unusually low.

That may change this weekend. An interesting cold front looks set to move across the state. However, there is a second front and an associated cold pool of air following it. That should generate showers with small hail and even some thunder. The cold air mass following the second front would be capable of producing light snow on the NE ranges.

Some rainfall models show at least 10 to 25 mm of rain for parts of NE Victoria.
Whatever happens, this cold front will end the stable weather pattern that has become established across this state for much of this month.

Harley Pearman

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #80 on: 27 April 2008, 06:49:26 AM »
Strong cold front and associated cold weather in Victoria:

Further to my earlier post, the first cold front has moved across Victoria but brought very light rainfalls. Many northern centres received no rainfall and rainfall across Melbourne was very light and patchy ie 0.2 to 2 mm range when I looked. The highest total from that was a little over 7 mm at Portland Airport in SW Victoria. Other totals were much lighter.

A much stronger front is entering western Victoria (12.30 pm 26/4/2008). There is a more solid band of showers coming with this currently situated over the far western and south western areas of the state.

However, the air mass behind this front is very interesting. A large area of speckled cloud and scattered showers is following it which clearly indicates the presence of cold air drawn up from the Southern Ocean.

Warnings have now been issued for Sunday and Monday especially for southern and mountain areas being a sheep grazers alert for farmers and an alert for rough seas.

It is likely that southern and mountain areas will experience showers and small hail (H0 type) and even isolated cold weather thunderstorms.

I have noted that temperatures for Melbourne are expected to dip to maximums of 15 and 16 degrees or thereabouts throughout this event.

Harley Pearman

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #81 on: 27 April 2008, 08:50:23 AM »
I did hear from a radio news bulletin that there is a chance of about 20-30cm of snow falling on the higher peaks of NE Vic Alps sometime tomorrow and monday. Looks like winter is coming in early.

And yes Harley, I am anticipating this one - been very little if any rain out of the first front - which weakened as it passed thru the bight - got some verger and a few spots on the face last night whilst walking the dog. And also the temps here have dropped remarkably today from the last 5 days - the wind-chill factor is dropping the air temp to the teens now. Plenty of cloud around, and strong breezes are blowing, but i think the real stormy change is still to reach the eastern half of Melbourne.

Rugging up now

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #82 on: 27 April 2008, 03:58:53 PM »
Saturday 26 April 2008

So far the vigours of the cold front expected in the south east region have yet to live up to its reputation - there has been steady light rain here since dusk, but the wind has actually eased from earlier today - only about 3-4 mm in the gauge here at the moment (still raining). It is cold however, but no as cold in wind-chill as the last 3 mornings have been (the frosty foggy ones).

No storms in sight yet but still hoping.

Big Pete

PJJ

SAB

« Reply #83 on: 28 April 2008, 04:12:38 AM »
G'day everyone, I'm Sab and new here, I live in Melb so let's have a thread where we can talk general weather conditions and forecasts in Melbourne and Vic

cloudy, 11ºC at 10:30am! Had some rain overnight.

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #84 on: 28 April 2008, 06:27:06 AM »
SAB

Yes it is good to finally get some rain again - 13mm in Mooroolbark last night.

Big Pete

« Last Edit: 28 April 2008, 12:53:19 PM by Michael Bath »
PJJ

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #85 on: 28 April 2008, 08:14:18 AM »
Cold change and rainfall for Victoria 27/4/2008

A strong cold front continues to make its way across Victoria however rainfall continues to be patchy to moderate depending on location.

Best Rainfall for 24 hours from 9 am 26/4/2008 to 9 am 27/4/2008.

Looking at rainfall distribution for Melbourne, the city's western and northern suburbs received light falls of between 0.8 and 9 mm such as 7 mm at the airport and 8 mm in the city. The eastern, north eastern and south eastern suburbs received more moderate falls of between 12 and 18 mm such as 12 mm at Scoresby. Orographic rainfall is evident along the Dandenong Ranges.

The main cloud mass is currently over NE Victoria (1 pm - 2 pm). Moderate rain has occurred on the highest peaks of Victoria such as Falls Creek 16 mm, Mt Buller 26 mm, Mt Hotham 27 mm (Highest in the state) and 22 mm at Harrietville. Albury received 12 mm, Beechworth and Lake Hume received 9 mm each.

Away from the ranges, rainfall was light in NW Victoria (Mildura 4 mm and Horsham 5 mm). Western areas received light to moderate falls such as 16 mm at Portland Airport, Cape Nelson 21 mm and Dunns Hill 15 mm. Falls of 5 mm were common around centres such as Horsham and Stawall.

The northern plains received only light falls such as 6 mm at Bendigo and 6 mm at Echuca. Many other centres received lighter falls typically 4 - 6 mm.

Certainly not a significant rain event. Away from the main cloud mass currently over NE Victoria, some showers are occurring over southern and mountain districts in the cold SW airstream. One or two of these may contain small hail but this is currently not significant.

However, this is a cold change and a sheep farmers warning is in force for southern and mountain districts. Conditions will moderate Monday and a new high pressure cell should establish itself over the state Tuesday - Wednesday.

Harley Pearman

SAB

« Reply #86 on: 28 April 2008, 08:18:13 AM »
that 4mm in Mildura just quadrupled their month to date total! Very cold there aswell, hasn't even reached 12ºC as of 2pm.

Nothing interesting here, just cloud

« Last Edit: 28 April 2008, 12:53:50 PM by Michael Bath »

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Re: Lets Look at the other side: VIC, SA, TAS day to day weather
« Reply #87 on: 28 April 2008, 02:13:13 PM »
Sunday 27 April 2008

Thanks to the moderator for clarifying the post - it makes it easier for those who live in the southern states to get some input and leave some output (lol).

Today has been a very cold day here in the outer-east suburban Melbourne. 13mm of rain has fallen here today - and just very recently (7.40-8.00pm) a small severe thunder cell passed to my north - producing 2mm of rain (and its raining still in Balwyn according to my father) and at least 8-10 CGs - a few strobe flashes of 3-4 strikes in one bolt happened to the NE of my position - looks like a red-light camera on heat! (lol) - this storm should have been warned only that it was short-lived (about 25mins).

The temp hasnt even climbed above 13deg C today - very bitter cold weather for late April - especially when it was 25deg C just a few days ago. This cold front has pools of cold air stretching from the Bight, through SA where reports of high winds and blizzards have been made in the Adelaide Hills, and some parts of SA incl Adelaide have had their coldest day in 26 years.

And some of Vic's Alps are enjoying 20-30cm of snow (1-1.25 inches in old scale). Early winter present!

Going back to sit in front of the heater.

Big Pete (brrrrrrrrr)

PJJ

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #88 on: 28 April 2008, 04:23:53 PM »
Having been sitting on the north coast of NSW for the last few days and enjoying some very nice weather yesterday and today, I saw on the news tonight 15cm of snow on the Victorian Alps. And tomorrow's forecast for Orange is a temperature range of 1 overnight to 7 tomorrow. That's getting chilly for April!

As I drive south tomorrow I will be moving from an area with a forecast max of 26 to a forecast max of 19 and getting windier as I go.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #89 on: 29 April 2008, 01:16:07 AM »
Sunday 27 April 2008

And some of Vic's Alps are enjoying 20-30cm of snow (1-1.25 inches in old scale). Early winter present!

Hey Pete - isn't that 8-10 inches of snow ?   Very nice fall. You can have the cold days - not ready for that yet :)

Btw: feel free to start new threads in the 'significant weather events and storm chasing' section of the forum for events like this one.
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au