Author Topic: Lets Look at the other side: VIC, SA, TAS day to day weather  (Read 81249 times)

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: Lets Look at the other side: VIC, SA, TAS day to day weather
« Reply #60 on: 20 March 2008, 02:41:47 PM »
Hello

Big Pete, further to your post, I am reading and hearing the same thing as well. I have read in one article that the La Nina effect will begin to break down soon. Some have said middle of Autumn and others have said the latter stages of Autumn. I am aware that the La Nina has peaked.

This is one area I will be watching closely especially for Victoria and southern NSW and rainfalls that occur. The reason is that rainfall models are still pointing to below average rainfalls for southern Australia and with this part of Australia still in drought, the prognosis is not good.

I am currently reading a superb climate book for Australia titled "We are the Weather Makers" by Tim Flannery 2007. He has stated on Page 78 that "As greenhouse gases build up in our atmosphere, we will experience persistent El Nino like conditions".

I am pondering that statement and whether the current conditions being experienced in southern Australia is a sign or a precursor of the future climate for southern Australia. More research is required.

Further to this, I have noticed that since March has begun up to 19/3/2008, the incidence of intense rainfalls has decreased.

Harley Pearman

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #61 on: 22 March 2008, 04:00:27 AM »
The BoM has released a special report on the prolonged March heatwave:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/statements/scs15.pdf

Plenty of records set there !
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #62 on: 22 March 2008, 04:42:52 PM »
Hello

Further to my previous post, I am unable to find historical data on day to day conditions for March 1983 in Melbourne to make a comparison with March 2008. However, I have found some historical facts worth mentioning.

It appears that the summer period of 1897 / 1898 (111 years ago) was exceptionally hot with over 25 days above 35 degrees which is still a record for the most number of days above 35 degrees for a summer season in this city. (Encyclopedia of Melbourne) and (Climate of Melbourne, Stern 2005).

The highest all time day temperature record for March was 41.7 degrees Celsius set in March 1940. Thus the two 39 degree days just experienced are records for recent times but not historical records.

It appears that the first 2 weeks of March 1983 were hot and dry but the rains arrived some time after mid March of that year which ended the heat. I could not find any new one day weather records being set or an unusually high incidence of 30 degree days or significant events occurring to compare.

That leaves the years 1897/98, 1940, 1985, 2006 and 2008 as interesting years for unusual Melbourne heat or hot spells to look at for March.

However, one will notice a greater incidence of unusual heat occurring quite recently during the month of March and there are climate graphs and temperature summaries available showing a slight but steady rise in Melbourne's average temperatures in recent times.

As for rainfall patterns, that is open for debate. A trend towards a wetter period from the 1950s until recent years is evident with a decline of recent years due to drought. When the historical trends are looked at ie from 1900 to 2007, there does not seem to be specific trends in either direction. However, the recent ongoing drought is showing up as a trend and a decline is observed. This is one area to watch.

Harley Pearman

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #63 on: 23 March 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
Hi all,

looks like summer has finally left Melbourne for 2007/08 season. There is a forecast on BoM of some reasonable falls of rain expected in Melbourne and western Vic over the next 5 to 6 days, so hopefully they get it right this time.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #64 on: 24 March 2008, 11:04:23 AM »
G'day all.
Sunday 23rd March 2008

Looks like the season is changing here. The rain is on its way at long last. Also the prospects of severe thunderstorms is on the increase with a developing low pressure trough to the west/north west of Vic. At last report about 25 mins ago, the BoM issued a severe thunderstorm warning for flash flooding for the Mallee and Wimmera districts of NW Vic. This included areas between Mildura, Horsham and Swan Hill. At this stage a light cell has formed between Mildura and Horsham - worth keeping an eye on, see the BoM Vic radar (http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.shtml). If this link does not work, i apologise. I'm still new at the links and pics thing.

The temp here has also left the 30deg level behind for the next 6 months by the look of the temp change for the next 5 days (expected to be 27, 23, 20, 18 and 18) with some rain expected on all five days. Certainly a change to the current pattern of late. Finally the rains are coming.....

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #65 on: 27 March 2008, 12:29:57 PM »
Wednesday 26th March 2008

So far the cooler weather has brought quite a few heavy showers today - it is currently 6.24pm here and it is dark and grey outside - 20mm in the gauge today - which is quite substantial given the recent drought conditions. Its nice to see the dry spell is broken, and some welcome rains have returned.
The other good news about this front and the previous storm system is that it has dumped a healthy 25mm of rain in the Central and NE catchment areas - bumping up the water storage by 0.6% to 36% (not much to some but very good for others). More rain is needed for this area to return to some normality.

I hear there have been some good storms firing around the NE edge in Vic / SW edge of NSW - keep an eye on the movement of this front and associated trough as it has the potential to provide more opportunities to storm chase at this stage.

Big Pete.

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #66 on: 28 March 2008, 05:51:07 AM »
Thursday 27th March 2008

Just to let those know who want to know - as of 10am this morning, after quite a wet night in Mooroolbark, my rain gauge showed a healthy 33mm of rain had fallen here in 12 hrs. That is much needed and welcomed rainfall - and according to BoM, there is more on the way. Also I have heard there has been some snow on the Alpine peaks here too.

Big Pete
(now shivering!)

PJJ

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #67 on: 30 March 2008, 01:25:20 PM »
Victoria's recent rain event - 29/3/2008

Could the recent rain event in Victoria be called 'The Autumn Break" which has been largely missing in recent years?

The Autumn break is usually defined as the first rain event after summer in which a good solid soaking rain event occurs. Usually this should occur in March or April. It should be accompanied with good general soaking rains across a wide area.

Looking at the rainfall records for the past week for Victoria from the BOM rainfall statistics from numerous rain gauges around the state, it will depend on the locality. Some areas recorded reasonable falls but other areas received minimal falls.

I noted that the upland areas of NE Victoria received some good falls due to orographic effect but the agricultural regions away from the hills received low totals, too low to have an impact on water supplies.

It is interesting to see how Melbourne fared. The north eastern suburbs and even the city received good falls but the NW and west and parts of the southern city areas did not. Some sample tallies for Melbourne for the 7 days from Saturday 22 March to Saturday 29 March include:-

Melbourne City 64 mm, Prahran 82 mm, Melbourne Airport 18 mm (Located NW), Altona 36 mm, Rosebud 18 mm, Scoresby 9 mm, Morabbin 23 mm.

The variations are large and the Dandenong Ranges to the east did influence totals that fell.

This was the picture right across the state of Victoria during the same period as shown in the samples below.

NW Victoria

Mildura 12 mm, Ouyen 3 mm, Redcliffs 17 mm.

Mallee

Falls of 0.6 mm to 23 mm featured.

North Wimmera

Falls of 0.2 to 22 mm featured.

South Wimmera

Some very good falls fell including Ben Nevis 37 mm and Stawell 44 mm.

Lower North

Rains were mostly poor or lighter such as Echuca 6 mm, Kerang 28 mm, Boort 13 mm. This was common throughout.

Upper north.

Rains were mostly light to moderate such as Bendigo 12 mm and nearby Lake Eppalock 8 mm, Shepparton 25 mm, Tatura 15 mm, Yarrawonga 23 mm.

Similar falls occurred in the surrounding agricultural lands and wheatbelt.

North east.

Similar to upper north for the lowlands such as the Albury region, 26 mm but centres closer to the NE ranges did well due to orographic influences such as Corryong 50 mm, Euroa 27 mm, Tallangatta 29 mm, Dartmouth 41 mm, bright 34 mm and Mt Buffalo 48 mm.

Gippsland

Falls ranged from light to very good, anywhere between 6 and 46 mm.

Some places did well and the event could be called the Autumn break but in many others, the recent event could not be called that. The sample provided shows that rainfalls were patchy throughout the state ranging from very good to poor. Given that many centres in northern Victoria went without rain for up to 40 days until this week, the recent event would have made little impression on the dry gripping the state in some regions.

Harley Pearman

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #68 on: 31 March 2008, 01:11:30 PM »
I'm hoping to post some pics - please note this is not something i have done before, so if it doesn't work out please p/m or skype me.

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #69 on: 01 April 2008, 12:50:02 PM »
For those interested in my last post - i'm glad it worked! These were pictures from the first part of the rainfall that occurred last week in north-eastern suburban Melbourne - taken from a 3 Skypephone camera, from near Greensborough.

Notice the cloud structure in the first pic - the second pic was the rainband as it hit the suburban streets in NE Melbourne. That day the temp plummeted from 26c before the pics to 15c during the taking of these pics.

Not bad quality from a camera-phone camera though! (just a 2 megapixel camera).

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #70 on: 02 April 2008, 09:09:15 AM »
Monday 1st April

Happy April fools day for the comedians out there!

It has been a clear day today here in Mooroolbark, some light clouds, and a very brisk o/n low of 1c overnight (definetly blanket weather). March 2008 was considered the warmest month in some 9 years here, but thanks to the last 5 or so days of rainfall, the mean average rainfall was exceeded for the month (normally 39mm - we ended up here with 48mm), which is the first time this exceeding has happened for 6 months here. Much welcome and needed rainfall in the catchments close to here - Sugarloaf Dam got 36mm, Silvan Dam 47mm, Maroondah Dam 39mm - but it needs more follow up rain (due tomorrow night and Wed) to penetrate the water storages (ie create runoff). Also the last 7 days have been much cooler (a sign of the change of seasons?) here than the previous 3 weeks before that. And if the start of April is anything to go by, then the colder change due in the next 2 days will see the max temp here plummet below 16c for the first time this year. It could be a cold winter on the way.

Maybe a chance of snow in the Alps?

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #71 on: 02 April 2008, 05:54:11 PM »
I have been notified of a severe weather event creeping up on the SE of the continent - Adelaide will feel the first effects of this event with low daytime temps and very high winds, followed by Vic with high winds (in excess of 120kph gusts possible before the cold front arrives - even higher at 150kph expected in the Alpine district). See the warnings issued by BoM - http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV28000.txt

There is possibility of small hail and thunder with this system - advised to be the cold front and associated low from ex-tropical cyclone Pancho. It is a mean mongrel, and may provide good pics for blokes like John Allen (hopefully better armed with good cameras than my busted camera-phone), if he is available. I want to get some pics, but it depends on my unreliable camera-phone at the mo. Anyway, I will keep all posted.

And for those in NSW awaiting this system - some storms are possible with this front, but little rain, and loads of wind.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #72 on: 03 April 2008, 01:24:32 AM »
Yes - not too often you see such wording in the warnings:  'widespread damaging winds'

VICTORIAN SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Widespread Damaging Winds
For people in the all Victorian districts.
Issued at 6:55 am EDT on Wednesday 2 April 2008

A strong cold front will enter western Victoria late this morning, reaching
Central regions mid to late afternoon and the far east at night. An intense low
will form west of Tasmania then move rapidly southeast.

Northerly winds are expected to increase during the morning to average 55 to 80
km/h over northern areas and Gippsland and to 70 to 100 km/h over remaining
southern and mountain regions. Widespread gusts of 90 to 110 km/h are expected
with localised gusts to 130km/h over southwestern and central parts of the State
by late morning, moving into West Gippsland by afternoon. Maximum gusts around
150 km/h are likely over Alpine regions.
West to southwest wind squalls to 90km/h are likely following the front.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #73 on: 03 April 2008, 03:06:26 AM »
Also its not just Vic getting the worst of the weather over the next couple of days - SA is expecting 90kph wind gusts, TAS up to 150kph gusts and S NSW up to 125kph gusts.

This system (cold front and low) is intense and includes left overs from ex-TC Pancho - a storm that did reach Cat4 status last week.

John Allen - I think this system follows the principles of your bomb cyclone analysis.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #74 on: 08 April 2008, 02:26:03 PM »
Rainfall deficiency deepens across drought affected areas

Further to my ongoing discussion regarding the current drought and rainfall trends in inland SW NSW and Victoria, a disturbing trend emerged during the month of March.

Despite the La Nina impact, the area of NSW in drought increased by 2% to 42.9% and SW NSW was hit by the rainfall shortfall.

In particular, March was a drier month but many areas outside the slopes and hills registered below to well below average rainfalls. Major places like Albury, Wagga Wagga, Griffith, and smaller towns such as The Rock, Narrandera, Rankin springs, Hay, Finley, Coolamon and many others typically recorded 50% of average rainfalls for the month, some more, some less. This is the wheat sheep belt area.

A smattering of places such as Culcairn, Henty, Howlong and Grenfell came close to receiving average rainfalls (Which is usually low by normal standards). Places east and closer to the hills and ranges did better while places further inland such as Broken Hill and Mildura were typically dry.

The result was a deterioration in the drought situation. The South West slopes and other places on the slopes and plains and the Riverina went backwards and a few areas plunged back into drought.

Looking at the rainfall trends and plots prepared by the Bureau of Meteorology from 1 April to 31 2006 to March 2008, a "Severe rainfall deficiency" still exists across the SW slopes of NSW and northern Victoria which covers the wheatbelt and sheep grazing country. This severe deficiency also covers Melbourne.

The situation in much of Victoria is similar. The far east being Gippsland is still OK and has been improving but many areas are still dry.

The last 6 months (1 October 2007 to 31 March 2008) seems to show much of Victoria as having "Average rainfalls" at best but underneath that, the critical long term deficiencies remain.

During the month of March, NE Victoria averaged 25 to 50 mm of rain but this was roughly 50% of expected totals. An isolated area centred on the higher peaks averaged 50 to 100 mm of rain.

Generally Melbourne averaged 25 to 50 mm although it is noted that some localities did better.
The north and north west and a large portion of the west received poor rainfalls being between the 10 and 25 mm range.
The south west coastal areas did better receiving between 25 and 50 mm.

No area of the state experienced average or above average falls. Falls across the state are described as average to below average.

The departures range from 10 to 25 mm below average for the whole of the western, northern and NW regions and 25 to 50 mm below average for the SE portions.

This has contributed to a serious situation across much of the state and a large portion is still experiencing long term 'Severe rainfall deficiencies".

On the flip side models indicate a continued wet period for eastern NSW and Queensland but less so for the western half including a significant portion of Victoria.

Harley Pearman