Author Topic: NSW and SE QLD Severe Storms and Rain : 14 - 15 September 2010  (Read 19638 times)

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
RE: NSW and SE QLD Severe Storms and Rain : 14 - 15 September 2010
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2010, 12:30:45 PM »
a really nice cell west of Kyogle at the moment and a few little ones on the Grafton radar maybe we will se some lightning here later.

Antonio.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
Well Sydney and surrounds didn't miss out either with some quite heavy but localised falls during the day. I heard on the TV news that Chatswood had 33mm during the day, we had about 10 at home. Then just after 7pm I was watching TV when there was a flash outside, and sure enough thunder. Not a great deal of lightning here, what was seen was up in the clouds and rain wrapped so I didn't get the camera out, but there were a few loud booms.

Here's hoping that if we are getting lightning this early in the season it will be a good one.

Offline Taipan

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2010, 02:07:08 AM »
is that alittle hook echo on that cell? or am i seeing things

I was looking at the radar thinking exactly the same thing. Is that precip wrapping on the north-west side of that cell?

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2010, 04:56:28 AM »
Did anyone get out and chase any of the cells that exploded mid afternoon in NE NSW?  Surely someone got out there?  From the radar returns and behaviour of those storms (ie training supercells, right movers, left movers and obvious hooks on some) it would have made for some amazing images that I would love to see.  I hope someone got onto something! particularly the Gunnedah beast or later the Boggabri cell which both had amazing structures on radar.

Michael Bath - did you get any action?

Brad
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Michael Thomas

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2010, 05:57:27 AM »
I agree with you Brad, some great struture on the Gunnedah storm. Would be nice to see some photos.

From my understanding, this storm formed in a relatively low-CAPE environment with a low equilibrium level. A strong, westerly mid-level jet was nosing into the area and surface winds were easterly providing strong vertical shear. What is interesting to me is that the storm was actually quite small and compact (probably due to the low CAPE and low EL) but displayed characteristics of a HP supercell (that is, a very wet rear-flank downdraft).

Michael

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2010, 06:26:00 AM »
wow i cant believe 210 views in 1 day haha.

Brad (ie training supercells, right movers, left movers and obvious hooks on some)

please what is a training supercell? i can guess what a right mover is but the other i have no idea. well not a large storm yesterday but i was happy to at least hear thunder even if it was only twice : )

gives me positive thoughts on this years season.

Antonio.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2010, 07:56:40 AM »
Antonio...I think Brad is simply referring to a group of supercells 'training' or in a line/grouping moving in a similar direction..and not as in the type of storm per se. :)
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2010, 08:32:52 AM »
Antonio...I think Brad is simply referring to a group of supercells 'training' or in a line/grouping moving in a similar direction..and not as in the type of storm per se. :)

Aha oh i see now haha thanks for the correction :)

Antonio.

Offline Hardy25

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2010, 10:39:29 AM »
I agree with you Brad, some great struture on the Gunnedah storm. Would be nice to see some photos.

From my understanding, this storm formed in a relatively low-CAPE environment with a low equilibrium level. A strong, westerly mid-level jet was nosing into the area and surface winds were easterly providing strong vertical shear. What is interesting to me is that the storm was actually quite small and compact (probably due to the low CAPE and low EL) but displayed characteristics of a HP supercell (that is, a very wet rear-flank downdraft).

Michael

i Agree, but as we know with Australian supercells anything can happen at anytime  low CAPE or not xD

just great to see that hook, was very exciting

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #24 on: 16 September 2010, 01:14:26 PM »
Sydney Rainfall for 15 September 2010

On 14/9/2010, I had a flexi day and noted the behaviour of rain / shower cells across the Sydney basin throughout the day. The rain cells were slow moving and were hit and miss. This is evident by the rainfall plot from the BOM (Rainfall for the 24 hours to 9 am 15/9/2010). Rainfall totals range from 0 mm west of Campbelltown to 69 mm at Chatswood and near Hornsby. Whereas only 6 to 7 mm fell around Blacktown where I live. The heaviest falls were concentrated from Strathfield (59 mm) north to Hornsby and Chatswood (69 mm) with the lightest falls over western and north west Sydney.

Localised falls of up to 115 to 130 mm fell in the hills behind Wollongong. A weak storm cell passed over Blacktown after dark generating two lightning flashes and accompanying thunderclaps but only light rainfall occurred. Generally it was a case of hit or miss with some areas receiving copious rainfall while other areas missed out.   

The rainfall plot for Sydney for the 24 hours to 9 am 15/9/2010 is attached below.

Harley Pearman

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #25 on: 17 September 2010, 01:13:13 AM »
I wasn't able to chase inland to where the real action was. Locally there was not a lot to see until right on dusk when the storm near Woodenbong was active - but it had almost no lightning so couldn't even see the structure once it was dark - even though I have a perfect line of sight from home.

There was a report of a hail storm at Guyra about 12.30pm 14/9. The hail was small but still remained accumulated in some areas at sunset.

Start with this radar loop then choose the 256km scale to see the Guyra storm track

128km Radar Loop for Namoi, 00:00 14/09/2010 to 10:00 14/09/2010 UTC

Morning soundings for Cobar and Moree on 14/9 attached.

« Last Edit: 18 September 2010, 02:26:14 AM by Michael Bath »
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #26 on: 17 September 2010, 01:13:04 PM »
Interesting storm that Gunnedah one.  Obs at the time were 21/15 (at best) which gave an LCL of about 3,500ft and looking at the sounding for the day with those obs, the storm tops would've been only 25,000ft.  Pretty short supercell!  But with 70knts at 500mb and 35-40knts at 700mb, its quite an impressive shear profile.  Instability wise, the above obs on the Moree sounding produced results of LI's of about -4 and CAPE of about 1300jkg. 

In terms of chasing that area, early season storm days such as this are very hit and miss.  All of the models had the trough scooting through this area and sitting near the coast up until about 24hrs out when they started to develop a surface low over central western NSW which kept the surface trough back over the NWS&P.  The surface low ended up being quite deep and was nicely tilted west with height so that dry air was able to wrap around the low in the mid-upper levels.  For anyone considering a chase, it was a pretty big risk (high chance of a bust) and given that its 6-7hrs from Brisbane and Sydney and even a solid 4 hours from the NR's and for what seemed like a low chance of fast moving storms (that possibly wouldn't have enough instability to stand up against the strong shear). 

Definitely lessons learned from the way the day unfolded - fortunately its very early in the season so hopefully there are plenty more opportunities for everyone to get out and chase.

Macca

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
Interesting youtube clip from this day...

Tornado Inverell NSW 14/09/2010

Given that this storm doesn't show up as a stand out on radar, makes you wonder what the more prominant storms had on this day...

Macca

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #28 on: 19 September 2010, 03:00:15 AM »
Hi Macca,

Sorry guys, been too busy with family, school and projects to comment until now.

Nice catch Macca. This was one of those friek events - and nothing in the models except low level wind shear caught my eye. The moisture profile was not the most ideal - the upper level destabilisation was ordinary. Perhaps some form of cyclogensis occurred in the region which seemed to show up on radar as well. I agree with the risk tasking comment.

Back to the storm itself. Is that funnel/tornado anticyclonic? Given the storms were moving from northwest to southeast or at least west to east in most storm cases, it is hard to tell whether the rain is approaching in the video, and if the circulation was to the right. So was it on the northern side or southern side. The base is not spectacular so either an occlusion is occurring or is this perhaps a bookend vorticy? I am a little confused! Any comments!  Might have to check radar.

This is certainly a nice funnel probable tornado and almost certainly anticyclonic.

This is another example of sparse population still picking up tornado on video likely from a farm near Inverell.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 19 September 2010, 03:10:36 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Stormy

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #29 on: 19 September 2010, 03:36:30 AM »
Hi Everyone,
on the Afternoon of 14/09/2010 a Storm line of around 4 cells were heading dead east from Approx - 29°53'12.14"S 150°58'22.57"E, the cell that spawned this funnel broke off this line and headed in a North Easterly Line towards the town of Inverell, the first time i saw the funnel was about 5:16pm AEST at approx.  29°49'45.26"S 151° 1'22.98"E, the footage was shot from Approx 29°50'9.55"S 151° 2'28.26"E and the funnel only lasted until the rain band caught up, and i had to bolt into the shed for cover as the rain was very cold :d (no hail though), it made a slight re appearance near Inverell, just to the south, before giving a final gustnado and the rotation stopped, the cloud lifted and the cell moved towards the east as a heavy rain band. at this point i decided not to pursue the storm.(even though it was heading towards Elsmore!) i have not heard of any damage so far, or any other funnel sightings.

Safe Hunting.
Stormy (AusStorm)
www.youtube.com/user/AusStorm