Author Topic: NSW and SE QLD Severe Storms and Rain : 14 - 15 September 2010  (Read 19639 times)

Offline Michael Thomas

• Elephant Trunk F2
Re: NSW and SE QLD Severe Storms and Rain : 14 - 15 September 2010
« Reply #30 on: 19 September 2010, 07:09:41 AM »
Stormy,

That is really top class footage there. I agree with Jimmy, the rotation does appear to be anticyclonic. That is confusing me since I would have expected the storms heading due east to have cyclonic rotation if anything. On the radar loop it can be seen that there is a cell split which occurs west of Inverell with the resulting right mover heading SE. Based on your descriptions though, it doesn't sound like this storm was that right mover. You were looking WNW right?

Maybe this raises the question about the tornadic potential of other storms on the day.

Great stuff, congrats!
Michael

Offline Stormy

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #31 on: 19 September 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
Thank you Michael.

yes, the cell came from my SW (where the cells split downstream of Copeton Dam,) tracking NE,The video is pointed WNW, the cell tracked just to my north and headed east past Inverell and then looked to join back with the other cells and head east to the Great Divide.

I was watching the cell on the Namoi Radar heading towards Tamworth, it looked quite nasty there for a while, any reports of funnels, hail or damage from that cell that anyone knows of?

Take Care.
Stormy.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #32 on: 20 September 2010, 04:34:57 AM »
Stormy,

Did you note anticyclonic rotation - in other words anticlockwise rotation looking from the top down? Also, can you upload any other video of the storm as it approached? Where were the winds from just prior to the arrival of the storm?

It seems like if the storm was joining with other storms, it could have been a storm collision, or the hodographs may have favoured anticyclonic structures? Perhaps this is a book end vorticy.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Hardy25

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #33 on: 23 September 2010, 10:05:36 AM »
just got back from NSW holiday, gotta say i knew something interesting was happening in those storms, just not on the cell i thought

really imagine the amazing things in that Gunnedah hook ;)