Author Topic: Storm Chasing Comms  (Read 6343 times)

Offline computercomm86

• Rope Tornado F0
Storm Chasing Comms
« on: 22 May 2010, 05:03:29 AM »
Hi,
Can any one tell me if there is a radio frequency on CB radio or ham radio that is commonly used in Australia by storm chasers to communicate with each other ???
If not may be this is some thing storm chasers should look at.
Cheers Colin

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: Storm Chasing Comms
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
It's been discussed in the past but I don't think a consensus has been reached. I guess a lot of chasers don't have UHF. I do but that's because I have a 4WD that goes offroad occasionally or out with a group.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2010, 01:42:51 AM »
Passed my Foundation License for Amateur radio about 4 weeks ago.  I have just received my call sign, VK4FCDM. I am now studying for my advanced License.

Myself and others are trying to organize an emergency network for storms. One of the biggest problems encountered, as you are probably well aware off, and that is, it is not recommended to operate your station during storms, so therefore there is a window of time that you cannot transmit through.

It is a brilliant way to communicate and especially if all power is lost and phone lines are down.

Cheers

Col

Offline Michael Kelly

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
Hi Col
Could you let me know details of who you did your course through. I have UHF but i have always wanted to take it further.
cheers
Mick

Passed my Foundation License for Amateur radio about 4 weeks ago.  I have just received my call sign, VK4FCDM. I am now studying for my advanced License.

Myself and others are trying to organize an emergency network for storms. One of the biggest problems encountered, as you are probably well aware off, and that is, it is not recommended to operate your station during storms, so therefore there is a window of time that you cannot transmit through.

It is a brilliant way to communicate and especially if all power is lost and phone lines are down.

Cheers

Col