Author Topic: Perth Tornado 9 June 2008  (Read 15938 times)

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: Perth Tornado 9 June 2008
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2008, 01:36:09 PM »
I saw the news report on 9 tonight, and while they didn't say if it was a tornado I wondered. Haven't seen the damage track of course.

One guy interviewed said he was asleep then suddenly the roof disappeared and all his clothes flew out of the room. Which made me think tornado suction occurring.

Drat - need a reminder on how to generate the radar loops. Though would be nice if Perth had Doppler for that one.

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2008, 01:38:17 PM »
the radar looks boring , just another weak cold weather landspout hidden amongst a line of weak storms

here is a link to some funnel clouds they had a week back

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23756150-5017009,00.html
« Last Edit: 10 June 2008, 01:54:39 PM by nmoir »
Nick Moir
Photographer
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2008, 01:59:46 PM »
If you are looking at the radar link off the West site, that actually links to current radar rather than of the storm itself. Look at the times in UTC/GMT. Perth is 8 hours ahead of that and 10 hours here in Sydney. So not that helpful.

Kris Wetton

« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2008, 04:24:17 PM »
Having just visited the affected areas and witnessed the damage, I would have to say there is not a lot of doubt that it was a tornado. I was (as always) very sceptical when I drove up to Rockingham to do a damage assessment, as a large percentage of reported tornadoes see me end up looking at typical straight line wind / microburst damage. However, having spoken to a handful of witnesses and viewed the area I have no doubt that the event was quite significant. As to putting an F on it, well I suppose it was F2 given that whole roofs were destroyed, of course there is always the contentious "How well built was it", but working with what we have I would be confident in saying F2. I believe that there is some footage being kicked around at present?? Haven't seen it yet myself, having spent most of the day driving and a relatively small percentage of it actually taking pictures and interviewing people. (Officially, not rubbernecking!!)

For anyone interested I would recommend the following - "The Cool-Season Tornadoes of California and Southern Australia"  (Hanstrum et al - That being ourvery own Barry Hanstrum of the BOM) which can be found in pdf format at a couple of sites on the web.

Can't recall if I have posted a Link previously?? - Getting old See!!

Best regards

Kris

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2008, 04:36:56 PM »
Hi guys,

If I read correctly, the Bureau have already confirmed it as a tornado. Definitely the cool season tornado variety. Anyway, whatever links to video and photographs that can be sent, then that would be awesome.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Re: Perth Tornado 9 June 2008
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2008, 05:45:59 AM »
I did get one report about the Rockingham (WA) tornado that it was rated EF1 under the current enhanced scale - winds of up to 165kph. (unconfirmed).

Big Pete

Posted on: 10-06-2008, 11:44:40
Jimmy D - what is the difference between a tornado seen in US at this time of the year, and the "cool season" tornado (like the one witnessed in Rockingham WA)?

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2008, 02:15:12 PM »
Big Pete,

The cool season tornadoes tend to develop under realtively shallow convection with strong low pressure system given strong lapse rates and good vorticity generally speaking (read the paper linked to above for a more in depth explanation). Such conditions occur in places such as far SW of Western Australia and parts of I think southern California. These are called cool season tornadoes for this very reason. The potentially more powerful tornado variety that occur in the US and other parts of the world occasionally including Australia you often see on the media are typically the powerful supercell originated tornadoes typically occurring in the spring and early summer or autumn (but can still occur infrequently when unseasonably warm moist air interact with potent upper level systems.

I hope this gives some half decent picture.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2008, 01:24:20 AM »
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2008, 05:02:39 AM »
Thanks JD, it makes it easier to understand. The more violent supercellular tornadoes occur with warmer seasons, and the non-supercellular storms embeded in deep lows/fronts tend to create the colder season tornadoes (like the recent one)

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #10 on: 12 June 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
Hey michael , i suspect that image is a fake , there seems to be repeating patterns on the tube as if you were using a brush tool in photoshop , also the opacity of the tube seems to even , you can see the crisp edge of the cloud behind

though i could be wrong
« Last Edit: 12 June 2008, 02:01:58 PM by nmoir »
Nick Moir
Photographer
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline TroyVR

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • B.O.M Storm Spotter
« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2008, 02:39:45 PM »
The picture looks really fake, then again i could be wrong,l but i agree with nmoir that its a photoshop job

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2008, 02:14:04 PM »
Hi guys,

http://extremeweathernet.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5/ppuser/1   Here is a website that has the photograph in exactly the same file name and also the and the tornado is in Great Britain - according to the source - the author is Rob Brown and IT consultant Steve Hughes, of Wellington, Shropshire

So not the Perth tornado as suggested by an unreliable source.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 21 June 2008, 01:24:26 PM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2008, 03:02:53 PM »
JD - it does have all the hallmarks of a severe landspout - and it doesn't seem to have come from much of a storm either - is this rare (some similarities to the Geelong tornado of 2 years ago)

Big Pete
PJJ

Kris Wetton

« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2008, 09:26:45 AM »
Hi guys,

Here is a photograph of the Perth Tornado sent to me by Steve-the-Crazy guy on this forum. He suggests the author does not want to be named so I am unsure of the rightful owner but I have permission to post this image via Steve. Are there anyone who knows more about this region in southern Perth and where this photograph may have been taken?

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Hello Jimmy,

Have seen that image before, quite a while ago >> here - http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06/Tornado_450x337.jpg>> and on this site it claims to be in England??

Having spent years chasing throughout the South West of WA, I have to concede however that the scenery does look very similar to much of our SW region, particularly around Bunbury / Busselton / Vasse region. However, I can say quite categorically that it wouldn't be around the Rockingham area where the recent tornado struck.
Regards
Kris