Author Topic: Definition of severe weather and severe thunderstorms  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Definition of severe weather and severe thunderstorms
« on: 03 January 2008, 08:18:46 AM »
Gambit wrote:

Also, is a flood considered a Severe Weather Event?

Flooding - good question.

I think it may be included if it is mentioned as flash flooding in a severe weather advice, but because the water runoff from creeks, roadways and drainage can only handle so much water it will depend on how much precip ends up on the ground and how fast and over what period of time.  Flooding is a result of the latter so it may possibly be a severe weather event per se.  We have flooding here at the moment in areas -(Katherine a good example) - and really this would apply to any areas that have sustained rainfall in catchment areas and the water draining into the river systems which rise and obviously overflow.

From what I've experienced of flash flooding, no, it's never been mentioned in the severe weather advices here in Darwin - but if the BoM sees potential for serious flooding from the same or developing system then yes, they do add it to their next advice issued.  Major flooding would be considered a result of such an event though.  As I'm not that familiar with the flooding in the eastern states perhaps other members might like to assist.

Mike
« Last Edit: 03 January 2008, 10:52:36 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Definition of severe weather and severe thunderstorms
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2008, 10:53:52 AM »
Mike et al,

I might be making assumptions here but generally you have severe storms and severe weather warnings. Severe thunderstorms have their own criteria to satisfy a warning. The prospect of flash flooding comes under the severe thunderstorm or severe weather warnings depending on what type of system produces the weather. Moderate to major flooding would come under separate warnings and should be included in a severe weather warning.

In general, if the weather is a threat to life or property, it would be regarded as severe weather. Of course lightning is dangerous as well but difficult to predict in terms of frequency and coverage.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: Definition of severe weather and severe thunderstorms
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2008, 11:15:15 AM »
Yes, i think I relayed that but in more words! :)

As with our active low and monsoon they have both severe weather warnings for wind and rainfall and then the flood threat advice which is separate and carries with it a more detailed analysis of the system currently experienced.

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14