Author Topic: NSW/S QLD Storms 24 - 26 November 2007  (Read 13659 times)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
NSW/S QLD Storms 24 - 26 November 2007
« on: 25 November 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
Hi guys, thought I'd kick off the new thread.

November 24. Upper Western, Weather Update

We have some great explosive development happening at the moment (3:30pm) There are four or five cells forming under a fairly moisture laden upper level, two main cells, both anviled and several clumps of heavy congestus towering nicely under the broad anvils (with some mamatus). Had heavy Easterly winds today coming from that nice mid-N.S.W swirling low. The winds have settled a little and are slowly turning westerly, this should bring the cells towards us here with any luck. Lightning tracker shows some recent activity to our North but I have two small cells blocking my view of those. Hoping to see the westerly developing storms on the radar push our way shortly.

Will keep you posted later on this afternoon/evening and hopefully get a few more shots for the full report.
Cheers guys.
Shauno.
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Re: NSW/S QLD Storms 24 - 26 November 2007
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2007, 04:31:19 PM »
November 24, 2007. Upper Western Area. Report and photo's.

Hi guys,
Well the afternoon wasn't a total washout as it would have possibly seemed on radar. There were several small anviled cells about earlier on amongst alot of congestus. I'm not too sure weather or not is was more pulse formations or squall line from the swirling low pressure system sitting on the NSW-QLD border region? (perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me?) There were quite explosive updrafts during the afternoon, some cells forming in a matter of minutes, but would soon weaken and collapse. A few of these showed sparse lightning activity.

I headed back into town to catch up with Russ and wait for the lightning tracker activity to reach us. We were under the developing HP storm's edge that was approaching us from the North slowly. We decided to head on out for a few shots as we noticed lightning on the tracker about 10k's from town. As we approached the end of the street we were surprised by a monster shelf cloud that formed on the southern edge of the large storm around 7:20pm. This must have been very inflow dominant as the wind gusts we experienced were very strong.

3:36pm. Explosive updrafts kicking off the afternoon's action. Taken 10k's north of Lightning Ridge on the Castlereagh Highway, facing south west.

One of the first cells to show a sign of structure and lightning activity. Taken from the same area as the photo above but facing north.

The monster shelf cloud that formed at 7:20pm on the southern edge of the large HP storm approaching Lightning Ridge from the north. This panorama is a 180degree view from west to east.

Russ (pictured on right) and myself trying to stand upright and shoot in the strong inflow winds!

7:28pm. I took this shot just before the shelf cloud weakened and broke apart, we were lucky to catch it as it was very short lived in it's cycle.

Not a bad outcome from an afternoon/evening of mostly weak high precip. storms.

Cheers guys.
Shauno.
« Last Edit: 25 November 2007, 04:36:56 PM by Shaun Galman »

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2007, 05:43:37 AM »
How did the 25-26th turn out Shauno ?  The inland low and trough continues to generate widespread storms over NSW and QLD though mainly heavy rain type events. 

I see Cobar AP picked up 60mm between 12.30 and 2pm 26th Nov.

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2007, 06:34:03 AM »
G'day Michael,

Maybe I should have closed the thread down to the 24th lol? ;) 
The 25th and 26th were not so good out here? A few isolated showers (some were heavy) but nothing in the way of reportable storms. I wish I could have headed out towards the Bourke / Tibooburra area on the 25th, there were some top looking storms affecting that region! The radio static was going nuts from all the constant lightning!

Seemed to be the same on the 26th once again, nice formations but just didn't get close enough to us? I wonder if anyone was able to chase or photograph the storms out west, in particular, the Cobar storm you mentioned? They sure looked stunning on the sat pics and lightning tracker! It's a shame the towns around NSW are so isolated and the distances needed to travel in order to chase are so great and require fairly accurate planning to be rewarded, also the price of fuel is getting up there now. 

Cheers and take care.
Shauno
(sorry I didn't get to post earlier, registering a new claim in the last couple days has been a bit of a time burden)