Author Topic: E NSW / SE QLD Storms: 6-7 October 2009  (Read 12829 times)

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
E NSW / SE QLD Storms: 6-7 October 2009
« on: 07 October 2009, 11:58:13 AM »
Interesting storms moved through Sydney this afternoon , one in particular looked worthy of a look , it moved through liverpool area and was "hookish" on radar , not to imply a tornado but there was a decent lowering (pictured).

my browser wont allow me to upload more than one image so i will do a few posts
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Oculi.com.au
RE: E NSW / SE QLD Storms: 6-7 October 2009
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2009, 11:59:38 AM »
 another frame with a flukey bolt , also please ignore time stamps in metadata , i have wrong settings on camera
Nick Moir
Photographer
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
this is it on radar , liverpool area  around the time of the shots
Nick Moir
Photographer
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
An interesting day for Southern NSW tomorrow, Wednesday the 7th October, an extreme cold front is supposed to move through bringing snow to the Southern Tableland NSW. Canberra has  Max of 10C. There is predicted thunderstorms through out NSW as well.

WZ reported that  Snowfalls lowered to below 600 metres in Tasmania and near 1000 metres in Victoria last night as icy winds brought some decent snow.

So far Mt Baw Baw has done the best of the resorts, picking up almost 20 centimetres. Buller has received three centimetres and Hotham, about seven.

Further north, Thredbo has been deluged with heavy and continuous snow, picking up about 15 centimetres in total. Nearby there has even been thunder-snow observed.

Severe weather warning issued from BOM states

A pool of cold air in the upper atmosphere will move into southern NSW tonight, leading to the development of a low pressure system off the South Coast by early Wednesday. This will result in generally cold conditions throughout southeastern NSW and an increase in southerly winds.

Winds are expected to average over 65 km/h at times along the South Coast and eastern parts of the Southern Tablelands from Wednesday morning. Peak wind gusts may exceed 90 km/h. The low will slowly move eastwards away from NSW Wednesday night and Thursday and the wind will gradually ease.

Showers will also increase with the development of the low with snow expected above about 900 metres on the Southern Tablelands. Sleet is possible over the South Coast district, particularly in elevated areas. Thunderstorms and small hail is also possible over these districts.  

What a mixed bag of weather.

Col

Offline Karina Roberts (slavegirl)

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2009, 01:54:37 PM »
N.S.W seems to be gettin all the action these last few days, still waiting patiently(well not so patiently now lol) for some photogenic storms here on the Gold Coast... This kind of weather makes me wish i still lived in N.S.W!!! LOL
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
Thunderstorm - Auburn in Western Sydney 6/10/2009

I had no camera with me however after 5 pm an intense thunderstorm passed over Auburn in Western Sydney. It was a very interesting thunderstorm given that the cloud base was quite low and it one stage even looked to be circular in shape.

I observed some cloud to ground lightning strikes mainly to the South towards Regents Park / Bankstown area.

I was in Beatrice Street near the corner of Susan Street Auburn and the storm broke with an intense burst of rain as well as small hail with some stones approaching 1 CM in size. A brief period of intense wind hit the area and leaves were shredded from trees. I observed considerable runoff from the rain that fell and water was gushing off front nature strips onto the roads and street gutters were overflowing with water.

The rain was intense for several minutes but eased off as the storm cleared from the area. There was allot of traffic banking up at intersections around Auburn following the event but there was no power loss or significant damage in the area.

Harley Pearman

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2009, 02:34:13 PM »
This afternoon's storm that tracked across the Northern suburbs of Sydney was fairly active with intra cloud lightning and and the odd cg. The following was captured before the rain moved in. Cheers, Con.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
From the Sydney Morning Herald news pages...

Rain causes hospital roof to collapse
October 6, 2009 - 7:44PM

Heavy but brief rain that moved through Sydney late Tuesday has brought down part of a hospital roof and forced affected patients to be moved.

The roof over a ward in Mt Wilga Private Hospital, a rehabilitation centre in Hornsby in Sydney's north, collapsed around 6pm (AEDT).

A hospital spokeswoman said no one was injured but two patients had to be relocated within the hospital.

The storm from the west moved through the Sydney basin on Tuesday afternoon, bringing hail to some areas and downpours before it moved off the coast.

The NSW State Emergency Service (SES) responded to a flash flooding incident in Flemington in western Sydney where they rescued a person from a car.

A SES spokesman said little damage was reported because the rains were brief and without strong winds.

=================

Interestingly the nearest BoM station to Hornsby (Terrey Hills) only reported 2.6mm. Locally Homebush Stadium received 11mm (9.4mm of that between 5:20 and 5:30pm) while I am only 3-4km away I received 2mm. but the rain driving home through West Ryde area at the same time was a lot heavier than we obviously got at home. The storms were obviously very localised in intensity.

A while ago still had a pretty good lightning show going on to my north, from the radar probably storms off Norah Head about 120km away.

The Channel 9 news tonight also had some pictures of small hail falling in the Liverpool area during their weather report.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2009, 11:26:34 PM »
The storn west of Liverpool was looking very interesting for a while. I will upload images when I get a chance but I think Nick Moir sums up a good vantage point with regards to structure.

Incidently, I was in the airport and the storm was in great position for a while - some interesting interaction with moisture scud and lowerings until finally rain and cold outflow wrecked that opportunity.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2009, 09:52:07 AM »
Some strong-ish storms about Brisbane, although somewhat weak up where I live. In it, there was some decent rainfall and certainly enough to create puddles.

Seems as if there is enough instability for further development up further north. We're about to cop a second round.

Certainly a godsend!

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
Re: E NSW / SE QLD Storms: 6-7 October 2009
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2009, 10:27:03 AM »
Wow! We were at the receiving end of some pretty strong down drafts from the Maroochydore cell. Rain rates were incredible locally, as all the gutters overflowed. No hail, just very heavy rain.

Offline Karina Roberts (slavegirl)

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2009, 10:37:13 AM »
A couple of pics from my place looking at the severe warned storm that hit the northen coastal areas of the goldcoast - apologies for quality of pics they were taken from my phone. It was certainly nice to hear some thunder again been way too long

According to weatherzone large hail was  dropped on Coomera in a passing storm. The storm looked pretty nasty from my vantage point out in worongary
« Last Edit: 08 October 2009, 03:33:16 PM by slavegirl23 »
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2009, 11:58:01 AM »
Interestingly the local radio (Vega in Sydney) had a report of pea size hail at Bundeena a while back but has been talking about larger hail approaching tennis ball size on it's way to Sydney and to put the cars undercover. I don't know where they are getting this info as there is nothing obvious on radar or BoM warnings.

There's a bit of heavyish rain tracking towards Sydney currently over Wollongong, but it's only yellow on the radar.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2009, 01:18:24 PM »
There was really nothing happening around Brisbane with the smaller cells that moved in around about 1.00pm . About the best we had was a couple of rumbles and a bit of a shower.

Brisbane had  2.4 mm and the airport received .04mm
The heavier rain was experienced to the north of us on the Sunshine Coast, with Maroochydore registering 35.2mm and Nambour 16.8mm.

Col

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2009, 03:03:33 PM »
Rainfall from Sydney thunderstorms 6/10/2009

The thunderstorm that passed through Auburn 6/10/2009 also passed over the Homebush Bay Weather Station located approximately 2 km north east from where I was. This weather station and rain gauge collected 9.4 mm in 10 minutes from 5.20 pm to 5.30 pm.

Auburn Council's Drainage Engineer has calculated this to be a 1 in 1 year event based upon rainfall intensities. This weather station collected 11 mm in total which was the highest rainfall in the immediate region. Rainfalls surrounding this locality varied between 0.4 mm to 7 mm. It suggests a storm rainfall peak over the Auburn / Homebush Bay area with a heavy downpour being relatively localised.

There were three other rain gauges in Bankstown that received 10 to 13 mm indicating another small area where localised heavier rain fell when compared to surrounding weather stations. An isolated fall of 12 mm fell at Kings Langley (Blacktown), an isolated fall of 10 to 12 mm fell around Chatswood and an isolated fall of 14 mm fell at Hornsby in northern Sydney. In all cases nearby weather stations recorded much lower totals. More intense rainfall was localised across the metropolitan area of Sydney and some suburbs such as Box Hill and Penrith received no rain.

Another intense thunderstorm passed along Sydney's southern fringe that brought 11 to 20 mm including 20 mm at Bundeena but weather stations immediately to the north of this line only recorded 4 to 6 mm. The more intense storms were hit and miss throughout Sydney.

Harley Pearman