Author Topic: Strong winds and storms SA, VIC, TAS & NSW : 23 - 26 Aug 2009  (Read 6948 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Seems like a cold frontal blast passed through eastern Australia today causing some damage as well in Sydney and producing some useful rainfall to the southern states.

I took the opportunity to take a couple of pictures when I saw a brilliant coloured rainbow outside!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline _Chris_

• Rope Tornado F0
RE: Strong winds and storms SA, VIC, TAS & NSW : 23 - 26 Aug 2009
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2009, 07:45:55 PM »
I had a brief opportunity today before I was pummeled by rain/wind to take this photo of an enormous funnel off the coast of metro Adelaide. It was not long before sunset, and I took it from West Beach facing south, so it was somewhere between Glenelg and Pt Stanvac.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2009, 01:47:58 AM »
WZ News on Sunday reported that:

A vigorous cold front is currently tracking across the Bight, brimming with storms, rain and gale force winds. Adelaide will be the first to feel the wrath of winter as temperatures fall to around 15 degrees on Monday. Winds will make it feel colder with possible gusts beyond 100km/h on Monday and Tuesday.
The icy blast should give some decent snowfall to most resorts, especially on Tuesday, with blizzards and falls up to around 30 or even 40cm.
( end quote)

South Australia

Wild weather has led to local flooding in parts of the Adelaide Hills. The weather bureau has also issued a minor flood warning for the upper Onkaparinga area.

ETSA says about 10,000 customers across the state are without power.The SES has received reports of damage as wind gusts of up to 100 kilometres per hour lash the state.

NSW and ACT

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning for southern New South Wales and Canberra, with wind gusts exceeding 90 kilometres an hour expected throughout the night.

The state's alpine areas are also experiencing blizzard conditions and wind speeds of more than 120 kilometres an hour are expected.

Victoria

Wind gusts reached between 70 and 80 kilometres an hour across most of western Victoria last night, but another front is expected through mid-morning, before a further stronger front later in the day.

People are being urged to secure loose objects and be prepared for blackouts.

The weather bureau's Terry Ryan says there is potential for hail, particularly in the Grampians.

( ALL above reports were sourced from various WZ news articles)

Northern NSW and SEQ

We are in for another hot day with increasing wind that could fan fires. So far we have had only minor grass fires that have been kept under control.
It was very windy last night and I have not heard of any reports to date, if any of those fires broke containment lines

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2009, 11:58:08 AM »
Note for topic: Include 25 Aug 2009...

Hi all,

The thunderstorm has finally arrived! It blew in about 15 mins ago with gale force winds persisting from 5pm with the change...

Hope to post a video or two of the storm, but was unlucky not to capture a CG close to home.

Raining now, with a few rumbles...

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2009, 01:13:53 PM »
Nice funnel - another one for you Chris! When you have a funnel as defined as that one don't be surprised if there was a possible contact despite the inability to verify it. It is a little distant to get the best perspective of course.

We had extremely strong winds here in Sydney early this morning - certainly shook the house a little.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2009, 03:53:47 PM »
Also had a call from my brother in Wodonga - both Wodonga and Albury are without power after wild storms battered the twin cities.

And a report from my father - Narre Warren has had 6 inches of hail fall inside 30 mins - one house lost its roof and complete deck in the wild storms there about 5.30pm

Got some small hail here - pea size - during the storm. 3 CGs close to home too with the first thunderstorm for months!!

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2009, 04:30:40 PM »
Nice rainbow Jimmy, the rain hit here a bit late for that yesterday. And great funnel off Adelaide as well Chris.

Reports from a friend in Warrnambool VIC of hail battering the windows at 2am this morning. And of course the various damage reports on TV from Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide from the wild winds.

Looks from the forecast like this topic may need an extra day added onto it as the winds are supposed to pick up again here tonight, nothing much yet though. Earlier BoM forecast included possible squall lines but nothing on the radar.

Hope it calms down early though, I am supposed to be 25 metres in the air on a $200/hour cherry picker in the morning. Started the job on Monday but the winds picked up by about 10am so we had to abort. They are only rated to about 40 kph winds.

Offline _Chris_

• Rope Tornado F0
Re: Strong winds and storms SA, VIC, TAS & NSW : 23 - 26 Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2009, 02:03:23 PM »
Thanks Jimmy. The water being so choppy combined with how saturated surface air was made viability to poor to see any disturbance to the sea surface from that distance, but at some stage it would probably have touched down. It's taken me around 25-30 hours of chasing coldies, and dozens of dud days, but it's proof that you can intentionally hunt "twisters" in Australia. I'm still relitivley new to this so only just saw your Dunoon tornado video. Amaizing! What a dream that would be.

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Re: Strong winds and storms SA, VIC, TAS & NSW : 23 - 26 Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2009, 02:59:52 PM »
re: my last post

The Narre Warren storm may have either dropped a funnel in North NarreWarren or straight line winds caused a complete destruction of a house owned by a work collegue of my father. Roof was ripped off and lots of internal structure damage. worth checking radar (if anyone has radar shots) of the Narre Warren, Berwick and Emerald areas...

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au