Author Topic: NE NSW / SE QLD Storms : 15 June 2009  (Read 9806 times)

Offline enak_12

• Elephant Trunk F2
NE NSW / SE QLD Storms : 15 June 2009
« on: 16 June 2009, 07:04:19 PM »
Well I was surprised today with a couple of storms forming to the west of Coffs. I hadn't paid any attention to the forecasts recently and wasn't expecting to get some pea sized hail as I left the house in the afternoon. Soon I noticed a few weak CB's to the east and west which prompted me to check the radar when I got home just on dark. I saw a shower/storm developing developing again to the west and thought this might have a chance at producing some lightning but wasn't seeing any flashes in the cloud as yet. I drove up a nearby hill anyway just incase it was to start producing lightning and I got lucky after nearly leaving..

I mean to clone out the ariel in these pics when I get a knew computer. I'm currently only using my parents laptop after my computer died the other day and dont have access to photoshop oh and the only reson they're there at all is because my tripod is also broken :( so I had to use the cars roof. I'm pretty pleased with the photos none the less, especially for winter :D

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Re: NE NSW / SE QLD Storms : 15 June 2009
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
Nice display Kane. Just reviewing the weather now and noticed quite a bit of lightning in your area so hoped you might have got some shots. There was a small short-lived cell south of here (went through Evans Head) in the evening but I did not check it out.

A line of storms passed across SE QLD during the afternoon, mainly just north of Brisbane. There were reports of pea sized hail with quite an extensive cover near Caboolture.
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2009, 09:16:25 AM »
At Bracken Ridge, Northern suburb of Brisbane, we had some good rain from the front that came through about 2.40pm Monday afternoon. There was plenty of thunder with some good cracks, but the lightning was not impressive, and hardly visible.

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2009, 12:11:28 PM »
Very nice to see some surprisingly great lightning this time of year! Nice job Kane!

We've had the odd storm here and there during the last few fronts, haven't managed any shots though due to them creeping through in the wee hours as fast dying pulse cells but I have seen some spectacular lightning from them, mostly through my window lol.

Cheers,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2009, 05:10:57 PM »
Beautiful lightning photos for this time of year. I will be up in Port Macquarie from this Saturday for a week but doubt I will be anywhere near that lucky.

Will check with a friend and family at Woolgoolga what they got.

Cheers