Author Topic: Victoria and Southern New South Wales Thunderstorms 3 April 2009  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Just a heads-up for the storm chasers in VIC - tomorrow does look like a possible storm day with a front pushing through from late morning - storms are forecast, and Wz's convection outlook does show severe storms possible through western and central VIC forecast districts.
I'll be keeping an eye out during the morning and afternoon school runs at work - esp as tomorrow (friday 3/4/09) is the last day of term 1 here.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Re: Victoria and Southern New South Wales Thunderstorms 3 April 2009
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2009, 04:59:34 AM »
Just hot off the press!:
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in parts of the
North Central and
Central Forecast Districts.

Issued at 10:40 am Friday, 3 April 2009.

Severe thunderstorms have developed in a line from Bacchus Marsh to Maryborough.
Storms are likely to produce very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large
hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may
be affected include Daylesford, Castlemaine, Kyneton, Melbourne and Bacchus
Marsh.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances

The next warning is due to be issued by 1:40 pm.

If severe thunderstorms develop in the Melbourne Area, a more detailed Severe
Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.

Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency
Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

[Note: I am keeping an eye on these storms - a few good cells have developed in the line mentioned above, and my home area has dark clouds approaching - should be a good day allround.]

Big Pete
(warning courtesy BoM)

PJJ

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2009, 06:03:20 AM »
Here is the threat map from BOM for that storm.  It looks on radar to be a quick moving storm, that is sweeping through.

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2009, 06:11:40 AM »
The first cell went through about 11.35am - some heavy rainfall with raindrops as large as small rocks pelted down for about 10 mins - the storm hit before the detailed Melb warning was issued by BoM - the clouds were running in two directions - the upper layer went N->S the lower layer SW->NE - and 11mm fall in just 20 mins in home gauge. (maybe only 3-4mm recorded in weather stations though). This storm cell dropped about 6 CG's close to me (I was standing on back porch) - and the thunder cracks were VERY loud.

Just awaiting the arrival of the second cell - the one coltan has mentioned - it is due here within 5 mins - the sky is a murky grey at the moment. Some lighting to my NW.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
From the smh website....

A Virgin Blue jet on its way from Melbourne to Launceston has been forced to make an emergency landing at Melbourne Airport after being struck by lightning.

An airport spokeswoman said Virgin Blue flight DJ137, which was carrying 117 passengers and six crew, detected an emergency signal soon after takeoff on Friday and returned to land safely.

No one was injured.

The plane was hit a number of times by lightning 10 minutes into the flight, which took off at 3.40pm (AEDT), the Nine Network said.

Passengers were still at the airport waiting for an alternative flight to be arranged two hours later.

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2009, 01:26:06 PM »
Victoria and Southern New South Wales Thunderstorms 3 April 2009

A strong thunderstorm has lashed southern New South Wales 3 April 2009 with Albury / Wodonga taking a direct hit.

Between 4.30 pm and 4.40 pm, a thunderstorm brought rainfall intensities of up to 120 mm per hour and wind gusts to 98 km/h which may have caused some damage.

A severe thunderstorm alert was issued specific for Albury and Wodonga while the storm passed over the urban areas.

The Albury Weather Station on Borella Road at the Airport recorded the event as follows:-

Time               Wind Speed      Peak Wind gust            Temperature       Rainfall

4 pm               20 km/h           28 km/h                      27.4C                0.2 MM
4.27 PM           33 km/h           54 km/h                      26.5C                0.2 MM
4.30 PM           43 km/h           72 km/h                      21.3C                0.4 MM
4.31 PM           46 km/h           72 km/h                      19.3C                1.8 MM
4.33 PM           52 KM/H           98 KM/H                     17.8C                6.2 MM
4.36 PM           24 KM/H           98 KM/H                     17.4C               12 MM
5 PM               19 KM/H           22 KM/H                     18.6C               12.6 MM

The thunderstorm started to hit around 4.30 pm and was fast moving. The main bulk of it was over by 4.37 to 4.40 pm. Between 4.30 pm and 4.36 pm, around 11.6 mm of rain fell giving a rainfall intensity of 1.93 mm per minute and during the event, 4.31 to 4.33 pm 4.4 mm fell in 2 minutes giving a brief intensity of 120 to 130 mm per hour.

This area has received up to 21 mm from showers and thunderstorms.

The data has been derived from the Albury Weather Station, Borella Road at the city airport from Weatherzone. Web site is http://www.weatherzone.com.au/station.jsp?1t=site&1c=72160&list=ob

This thunderstorm also affected surrounding regions but this was one of the few weather stations that recorded it at any reasonable intensity.

Thunderstorms also hit Melbourne earlier today. A Virgin jet was forced to land back at Tullamarine after it was struck several times by lightning:-

Web site from - The Age 3/4/2009.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/lightning-strikes-jet-as-storms-delay-commuters-20090403-91fw.html

A photo galley of the Melbourne storms can also be found here. The thunderstorms across Melbourne brought some sizeable rainfalls with up to 44 mm falling in some areas.

Regular warnings were issued by the Bureau of Meteorology as they passed over urban areas.

Harley Pearman   

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
Since my last report, the storms came in - 4 waves: - 1st one did what i mentioned above, the second came in just before 1pm with plenty of lightning, the third turned the day into dusk at 2pm - plenty of lightning - most CG's (and prob the reason for STW given), and torrential downpours of 25mm or more - 35mm measured in my raingauge at home. and the fourth was mostly rainfall, and a few heavy thunderclaps around 4.30pm.

It has now cleared from here, and the cooler temps have taken over.

I also know the Melbourne to Seymour V/Line train route was affected by the lightning also this arvo, as some of my work collegues came in with coaches to replace the damaged trains.

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2009, 04:38:35 PM »
I just found the story relating to the rail line Big Pete was talking about:

It was in the herald Sun.com titled

Connex racing to fix train lines after storm damage

by Sarah Wotherspoon

April 03, 2009 12:25pm

UPDATE 7.02pm: COMMUTERS faced major delays after Melbourne's train network was battered by storms this afternoon.

Connex trains on seven lines were suspended earlier today after severe weather lashed Melbourne.

Lightning strikes caused widespread signal damage and there was also problems from damage to overhead lines, debris on the track and power surges.

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2009, 05:26:49 PM »
the radar for todays storms that hit Victoria are here just wait till it loads

See : 128km Radar Loop for Melbourne, 21:00 02/04/2009 to 07:00 03/04/2009 UTC

EDIT- stormboy: you have to select a date/time range for the radar loops otherwise they will change.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2009, 02:05:57 AM by Michael Bath »