Author Topic: NSW & SEQ Rain and flooding 3 - 5 October 2010  (Read 13623 times)

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: NSW & SEQ Rain and flooding 3 - 5 October 2010
« Reply #15 on: 05 October 2010, 08:09:42 AM »
The photos of the floods are quite spectacular.

I had noted Sunday and early today slow moving rain cells on the north coast and some very large rainfall totals on the north coast as well as the Bellinger Valley. By 6 am this morning, I was aware of some rainfall totals between 150 and 200 mm on the New South Wales North Coast.

Sydney rainfall totals 4/10/2010 from BOM Weather station sites

Overnight some heavier rainfall totals for the Sydney area occurred. Interestingly, the heaviest falls have occurred towards the Camden / Campbelltown area or south west Sydney with 36 mm at Bringelly, 29 mm at Badgereys Creek and other falls of between 20 and 30 mm occurring.

Late Sunday and early Monday a burst of heavy showers across Blacktown / Parramatta region pushed rainfall totals to between 10 and 20 mm with a further 1 to 5 mm falling from 9 am to 11 am. For the first 4 days of October to 1 pm 4/10/2010, cumulative rainfall totals are becoming significant for October such as:-

Camden 40 mm.
Campbelltown 44.6 mm
Penrith 42.2 mm.

It has been a cool, cloudy and wet start to October with higher rainfall totals across the inland suburbs than across the coastal suburbs.

Harley Pearman

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
It appears more rain could develop with this low as rain from the southeast could spew itself back up. attached VIS looks like there is a eye of the low.

Antonio.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #17 on: 05 October 2010, 01:49:36 PM »
The heavy rain and high tide this afternoon/evening has closed the Pacific Highway in the NSW Mid North Coast. The road is shut in both directions at Corindi Beach, north of Coffs Harbour, due to high tide at Blackadder Creek which isn't expected to subside for at least two hours.

Seemingly reports indicate that traffic is banked up for 15KM South bound and approx 4 KM North bound.

Antonio I would not classify that as eye, but I understand what you mean.

Take care

Col

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #18 on: 05 October 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
Antonio I would not classify that as eye, but I understand what you mean.Take care Col

Oh i understand but to me anyway the patch of clear with cloud all around looked like an eye (silly me) some light costal showers are developing from tweed down the coast with drizzle hitting us as i type the frogs are going nuts they love it, so since i am new to this is it because of La Nina that these rain events are so intense?

Antonio.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2010, 05:08:50 AM »
Had another 8mm here in the past 24 hours mainly from drizzle. Most of this does not show up on the radars.

Areas from Yamba to the Nambucca had the best falls in the past 24 hours. Highest appears to be 195mm at Minnie Water on the coast east of Grafton.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au