Author Topic: NSW and SE QLD Severe Storms and Rain : 14 - 15 September 2010  (Read 19643 times)

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
NSW and SE QLD Severe Storms and Rain : 14 - 15 September 2010
« on: 15 September 2010, 08:53:09 AM »
A storm warning as follows

For people in the
North West Slopes and Plains,
Central West Slopes and Plains and parts of the
Hunter and
Central Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 2:21 pm Tuesday, 14 September 2010.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, large hailstones, very heavy rainfall and flash flooding over the next several hours in the North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains and parts of the Central Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Tamworth, Gunnedah, Moree, Narrabri, Walgett, Dubbo, Condobolin, Coonamble and Nyngan.
As especially severe thunderstorm is located about 15 km west of Gunnedah, and is moving towards the east to northeast and could produce hail to around 5 cm in diameter and destructive wind gusts to around 120 km/h over the next hour or so.
Severe thunderstorms are also likely to produce very heavy rainfall and flash flooding over the next several hours in parts of the Hunter district. Locations which may be affected include Gosford, Erina, Terrigal, The Entrance and Wyong.
Wyong recorded 52 mm of rain between 11 am and noon

There has also been very heavy rain east of Gosford with the 9am radar feature showing 75 to 100mm color.

rain came through here earlier but only 0.6mm before the rain came in Warwick and tenterfield area there were lightning strikes non stop on the lightning tracker.

Patchy cells are developing at the moment south of moree and a severe one over Gunnedah

Lets see what this system brings this evening.

attached is Warning area and the current rain / lightning situation and Gunnedah Storm possibly hail in this screen?

Antonio
« Last Edit: 15 September 2010, 09:04:16 AM by Antonio (stormboy) »

Offline Hardy25

• Multi-vortex F1
RE: NSW and SE QLD Severe Storms and Rain : 14 - 15 September 2010
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2010, 09:04:31 AM »
is that alittle hook echo on that cell? or am i seeing things

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2010, 09:07:47 AM »
is that alittle hook echo on that cell? or am i seeing things

Looks like it also if you look at the 64 km loop it looks like rotation???

link __ http://www.theweatherchaser.com/radar-loop/IDR694-namoi/2010-09-13-06/2010-09-14-06

Antonio.

Offline Hardy25

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
agree but its moving pretty fast
i hope someone is chasing today

actually looks like it cycles once and the hook reforms

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
heres a close up view of the current satellite situation

http://realtime2.bsch.au.com/vis_sat2.html?region=seqldnensw&loop=no&images=&allday=&start=&stop=#nav

also looks like many (spotty) cumulus are developing which may lead to some action in Northern rivers perhaps? well if so that would be great but if not its understandable since it wasn't even forecast today :)

Antonio.

Offline Hardy25

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2010, 09:14:16 AM »
we will know by 6pm i guess =D
nice positive start to the season

but yeah those storms are hauling ass, keeping up with those would be fun if you got behind

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2010, 09:16:47 AM »
just looking at the 256k Moree and the 256k Namoi RADARS and there is heaps of difference in the cells GO BOM!

moree showing yellow spots Namoi showing many many Brown ones and look like another cell south southwest of Pilliga is moving in the region again.

Would not be surprised for hail reports.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR692.loop.shtml#skip

Antonio.

Offline Hardy25

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2010, 09:19:45 AM »
yeah really interesting day and so widespread across a vast area

will be interesting to see what information crops up over the new few days regarding this

that cell seems to be dying now, the hook is gone and the storm is dying down
« Last Edit: 15 September 2010, 09:25:16 AM by Hardy25 »

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2010, 09:31:08 AM »
yeah looks like it was a severe one but short lived.

nothing spectacular yet but the northern rivers northern tablelands northern areas are starting to develop a few small cells so far not showing lightning but are showing moderate color code http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml.

also over in the northern Mid north coast some nice cells one west of Nymbodia has developed more close to home and i hope someone is chasing today.http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR283.loop.shtml.

so i say it is a possibility that we may actually see some action this arvy / evening and if not we may at least get an lightning show offshore :).

UPDATE - there is heaps of Convection starting at the moment to our west just at the sun has come back out now all the convection i say 10+ towers have just skyrocketed.

Antonio.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2010, 09:36:30 AM by Antonio (stormboy) »

Offline Karina Roberts (slavegirl)

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
I certainly hope for a light show at least tonight, something looks like it is trying to develop out here and seeing as it was forcast for this area i hope something takes off. Promising start to the season i hope :)
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
well all we have to see now is SE QLD in the severe thunderstorm warning list and maybe the northern rivers then we know were cookin.

so far the tenterfield Kyogle area has started to shoot up quiet quickly with convection visible from here (Ballina) over the west and now the south.

i have even gone to  charge the camera batteries oh my i haven't done that in a long time .

Antonio.

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2010, 10:02:45 AM »
getting nice and dark out to the west of beaudesert as we speak - as soon as the sun came out this afternoon things seem to be firing up fingers crossed it happens here :) Shame that i dont have a camera for this lol

I used to live in port macquarie and worked out at mt seaview - ralph is family to me so will be interesting to hear from him and friends what the storms produced down around mt seaviw and port macquarie - I hope people are out chasing these cells today lookig forwards to the chase reports
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2010, 10:32:53 AM »
ok ok maybe a little pic of structure is needed haha. a cell a small one but a cell is now 15 minutes away from us possibly heavy falls and maybe a thunder :P here is a pic of whats coming its now closer and very dark now though.

will take a pic of the rain it makes just for fun be back soon :)

Antonio
« Last Edit: 16 September 2010, 07:02:05 AM by Antonio (stormboy) »

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2010, 10:59:44 AM »
well as promised some rain pix but not only rain but also a rainbow :)

as im standing there i hear the most best sound and its been a while since i heard it some lovely loud thunder 2 times and then it was gone it was a very nice day today and a nice but quick storm to Finnish it.

1) the rain of course was heavy but cam does not show it this is also when the thunder surprised me haha
2) the finishing touch
3) a new cell next to this one towards Lennox head.

hope you enjoy.

Antonio.

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2010, 12:09:54 PM »
Anything that started out here ended up decaying rapidly hence no pics. Lovely pic of the rainbow :)