Author Topic: QLD/NSW cold snap 28 June - 2 July 2010  (Read 13945 times)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: QLD/NSW cold snap 28 June - 2 July 2010
« Reply #15 on: 05 July 2010, 01:31:12 AM »
Just adding to Harley's report, while we were driving around Tenterfield, the news report on the radio suggested that Sydney recorded its coldest minimum in over 60years. I checked that report this morning and this is an extract from the Sydney Morning Herald   http://www.smh.com.au/environment/sydneys-coldest-june-morning-for-more-than-60-years-20100630-zk4a.html

"Sydney's coldest June morning for more than 60 years"
PAUL TATNELL
June 30, 2010

Sydney's week of cold weather continues, with the city recording its coldest June morning since 1949 when temperatures dived to 4.3 degrees.

As Harley stated,

Even Richmond (NW Sydney) dropped to Minus 4.8C which is a low that I have not seen since I moved to Sydney in 1997.
The Sydney Herald reported
Richmond again got below freezing point, recording -4.8 degrees, its coldest morning since 1992.

I also noticed on line, that one of Nick Moir's many photos was in the Sydney Morning Herald last week capturing the thick frost. I have posted it below,(hopefully that is OK Nick,)it just an excellent photo. The photo and related story can be found at

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/have-an-ice-day-nsw-shivers-as-temperatures-fall-below-zero-20100628-zf9g.html

Col

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #16 on: 05 July 2010, 02:10:34 PM »
Winter scenes in Dubbo 2-4 July 2010

During the period 2 to 4 July 2010, I decided to take a drive to Dubbo in Central inland New South Wales to see how cold it was getting across the inland of the state.

Friday 2 July, I found myself driving over some black ice on the road when crossing over Mt Lambie between Lithgow and Bathurst. At Orange, it was cold and cloudy and there were showers in the area although there may have been snow showers at higher elevation. Some snow occurred at Spring Hill near Lucknow (Orange locality) that night as reported on the local news. Between Orange and Dubbo, light rain fell for much of the day. The maximum temperature at Dubbo on Friday was 9C, Saturday 12C and Sunday 13C. The normal maximum average for July is 15C. Hence the daytime maximum temperatures have been significantly colder than normal.

The first two photos show a bleak city and Dubbo is wrapped in early fog. One photo is taken near the intersection of Cobra Street and Macquarie Street looking west and another is at the suburb of Orana Heights looking east along the Mitchell Highway with a feeble sun struggling to pierce through the fog.

The next two photos show frost. Overnight, the temperature plunged below 0C resulting in my car being coated in thick ice. The roof is covered in ice. Another photo shows early frost under a tree near the intersection of Wheelers Lane and Mitchell Highway, just east of where Orana Mall is located.

The photos are attached all taken 4 July 2010 at Dubbo.

Harley Pearman

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #17 on: 05 July 2010, 03:48:47 PM »
A little late but earlier this week we certainly had the heaviest frosts I have seen here at Rydalmere over the last 2 winters I have been here. My boss from Belrose also commented he hadn't seen a heavier one there since he moved there which was quite a few years ago.

Offline enak_12

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #18 on: 07 July 2010, 12:22:16 PM »
I'm posting this late but its the first chance I have had. I went out west of Coffs on June 29 expecting fog and frost. I wasn't dissapointed..that really is an awesome photo by Nick, thanks for the link Colin.