Author Topic: Darwin Storm events 2008/2009  (Read 91600 times)

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
Re: Darwin Storm events 2008/2009
« Reply #45 on: 19 November 2008, 04:01:44 PM »
Not a darwin event but close enough

IDD20430
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Northern Territory

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for Damaging Winds, Large Hailstones and Very Heavy Rainfall
For people in Alice Springs
Issued at 7:46 pm on Tuesday 18 November 2008

Thunderstorms with potential for damaging winds, large hailstones and very heavy rainfall have been observed on radar and are expected to affect Alice Springs between 2040 pm and 2240 pm CST.

The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should secure loose outside objects, move cars under cover and seek shelter. Driving conditions may be hazardous - avoid flooded roads and watercourses.
Issued at 7:46 pm on Tuesday 18 November 2008

Cloudfairy will PM to discuss xmas beers!

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #46 on: 19 November 2008, 05:45:31 PM »
C'mon Mike & Cloudfairy - get down to Michael's BBQ on the 13th. Only a short flight to Brisbane from there! Pretty much confirmed now I can be there with time off confirmed pending disasters at work.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #47 on: 19 November 2008, 09:01:52 PM »
Are you sending the ticket Richary?!  It costs a fortune!

Reckon we should have a xmas drink barring any storms eh Renate, Adrian?  Might as well welcome that pre-xmas cyclone promised!  BoM actually do suggest on their climate page that the likelihood of a cyclone in our area is above average. SST's will be hot, hot, hot and activity along the monsoonal areas from Indonesia show good potential.  I asked the Met officer at the exhibit about that and he did not shirt away from the fact that yeah, it is a probability given the long range models.  Interesting thing to ponder!

Renate...sounding showed plenty of moisture in the lowers and dry air in the mids to uppers, but it was not enough to completely dry them up - storms do like a bit of drier air - I have not viewed it properly but there must have been some strong steer as Hector convection actually moved into the convergence line off the coast - something which was quite good to see!  You should be picking the Met officers brains at the bureau since you're there - then you can explain to us what's going on!
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #48 on: 20 November 2008, 01:42:11 AM »
Hi all - please use the main severe storms section of the forum when reporting on thunderstorm events around Alice Springs and the rest of southern NT etc - as it is not tropical related.

I have started a thread for the storms there yesterday - it was a very impressive setup.

regards, Michael
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #49 on: 21 November 2008, 03:34:41 PM »
Thursday 20 Nov 2008

Storm rolled into Darwin this arvo ...... have been a bit out of practice with the kit so missed a few good shots while I mucked about to work out my usual daylight settings from a quick bit of trial and error.

cheers,
.adrian

cloudfairy

« Reply #50 on: 21 November 2008, 07:42:53 PM »
nice....at that time I was still at the bus to get to the Wharf :(

I got just this as I arrived there.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #51 on: 21 November 2008, 08:24:43 PM »
Nice photos guys.  Adrian, I know how you captured that CG fella - your secret safe with me for now!

The storm was severe warned around 5pm as I recall.  I was at the wharf before work photographing it.  Did not worry too much about the CG's as i don't have the patience to rattle off 4 frames per second in the hope of getting one - (Adrian smirks....)  was some great structure for the half hour I was there.  I've got some pics which I'll post today.

Apparently a strike knocked out the power in the rural area and around 1000 homes were left without aircon - man, that would really annoy us humidity sweltering locals!  From what I observed there were at least 4 decent towers embedded in that line. I had watched it come from the rural area an hour earlier and it formed a line extending from the NE to the SW and then more NW.  I got some wonderful wide angle shots of a massive crisp anvil outflow with dark grey convective towers going up.  Witnessed a few CGs and a real pearler of one pulsing 5 times over the rural area - was pink in colour and really looked strong.

Anyway photos later guys.

MB: - sorry about the Alice warning posted - it's a Territory thing which clouds our enthusiasm :)
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

cloudfairy

« Reply #52 on: 22 November 2008, 05:49:32 AM »
Last night, better this morning at 4.50 am I was kicked off my bed of a really loud thunder (and I wear earplugs at night). So I went outside and could feel the electricity around. Heavy rain, so I didn't make any photos.
Now at the Bureau they said 40mm, and the radar shows it just developed over northern suburbs, formed a line and went sideways off to the sea and died.
I liked it, I like this really loud thunder, felt like Thors hammer was bouncing down. :D

And as I woke ab this morning I heard some rumbling again. That was the storm from offshore, that just hit us 10 minutes ago and still does. Lightening over the sea.

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #53 on: 22 November 2008, 02:14:34 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for keeping the dream alive !!! noticed that someone else had one the other day...... so the secret has got out ;)

Cloudfairy - managed to get out and have a look first thing this morning when it kicked off @ about 0415 I think..

It seemed like quite a bit of IC lightning as I went down stairs and watched it for a little while but no visible CG, so went back to bed.

Did anyone get any good structure or lightning shots from the storm that fired up at smoko??? as I had too much work to do, so couldn't get out of the office.

Cheers,
.adrian

RainBird

« Reply #54 on: 23 November 2008, 05:53:40 AM »
Hi everyone  :)
I'm a newbie to the forums, I've lived in the Top End most of my life and I love it here, especially the storms! 
There are some great photos in here! Here's my first contribution to the Darwin storms thread, hope you like :)

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #55 on: 23 November 2008, 10:13:34 AM »
Welcome to the forums Rainbird!

Thanks for the photo it's a cracker .... as are some of the other photos on the photobucket website.

Look forward to seeing some more of your photos of the season.

p.s. what day did you catch the shot ?

Cheers,
.adrian

RainBird

« Reply #56 on: 23 November 2008, 10:52:05 AM »
Thanks Adrian :)

I caught the shot about 4am in the morning after being woken up by a loud flang on the 11th November 2008, some nice lightning active maritime pulse storms exploded over the Northern Suburbs.  I quickly woke up proberly, ran down the road on to a nearby footy oval with the camera and tripod to try my luck. :)

cloudfairy

« Reply #57 on: 23 November 2008, 08:33:14 PM »
@rainbird: don't you mean 21st November? Great Picture!!!!! Wish I would've been so lucky

RainBird

« Reply #58 on: 23 November 2008, 09:40:21 PM »
That storm on the 21st was almost impossible to photograph.. to much rain and mist by the time I woke up to it, no luck that time around :(
I did get a nice 58mm from it though!
The photo is definately from the morning of the 11th :)

cloudfairy

« Reply #59 on: 24 November 2008, 08:03:55 AM »
ok, sorry  :-[

Just wondered, because of how you described it......sounds similar to the one on 21st....