Author Topic: Southeast NSW Storms: 20 March 2008  (Read 10396 times)

Offline Ursula

• Multi-vortex F1
Southeast NSW Storms: 20 March 2008
« on: 21 March 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
Hi,
there is a severe cell building up from Braidwood to the coast in a northerly NNE direction, I took some pic's from my gate looking towards the the southern end of it. How do you get the pic's on?

Ursula

Offline wol

• Multi-vortex F1
RE: Southeast NSW Storms: 20 March 2008
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2008, 02:40:36 PM »
Hi Ursula,

You need to find a site to host the pics like Image Shack  and then post the photo link on your original post.

Have a crack at it and see how you go.

Just use additional options when writing your post in this forum and use attach. The images load in the forum.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2008, 01:46:14 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
Wolter Peeters
SMH Photographer

Offline TroyVR

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • B.O.M Storm Spotter
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2008, 03:08:15 PM »
Oh damn, i didn't even notice it til i heard the thunder. I gotta watch the radar more often, looks like most of it has passed now. Just a small area of moderate activity passing over me at the moment.

Certainly sounds intense though

Very constant flashes, I'll try and get some pictures now.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2008, 03:33:10 PM »
I thought this would be the same line of storms from the south west, but the radar shows it moving from the north west. Main line is tracking south of me. Actually the stronger cells off the coast are developing a NE movement, but the stuff coming near me is moving SE. No development and lightning until it mainly went south of Parramatta. Maybe the NW from the high hitting the change from the SW. Wish we had a wind finding radar handy.

Forecast said it would hit about 2am, oh well.

Had some reasonable cool breezes ahead of it which were quite welcome.

Offline TroyVR

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • B.O.M Storm Spotter
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2008, 03:36:10 PM »
I've got a video that i took from my place, as Richary said, mostly intracloud but still some nice flashes, I'll upload it if anyones interested.

Uploaded it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISGd_aWIoU
« Last Edit: 21 March 2008, 04:39:50 PM by TroyVR »

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: Southeast NSW Storms: 20 March 2008
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2008, 10:36:47 AM »
Thunderstorm 20 March 2008

Hello

A weak storm cell passed over Blacktown at around 9 pm and only produced a light shower. The storm was high based and rainfall was light. I saw one cloud to ground lightning strike to the south and a few flashes high up within the cloud as it passed over.

Prior to sunset, I was watching a linear cluster of 4 or 5 cells move eastwards SW of Sydney which included one cell that produced several lightning flashes from within the upper part of the cloud only. I saw no lightning from that cell reach the ground.

Apparently I heard on the news this morning that fire fighters were called out to a small bushfire started by a lightning strike following the passage of a storm cell in a section of the Blue Mountains.

I looked at rainfalls across Sydney using the BOM rain gauge network and falls were very light. Around 1.5 to 3 mm of rain fell in my area by 9 am 21/3/2008 but that figure included this mornings shower activity.

Harley Pearman

Offline pingtang

• Multi-vortex F1
    • Southcoastweather
Kiama severe storm
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2008, 02:41:18 PM »
G'day.

This is a very late response,but better late than never .I've had some internet troubles over the last month,so I havent had a chance to reply,but i have broadband now.:)

On the 20th of March,a thunderstorm exploded just west of Kiama. This storm rapidly became severe bringing wind gusts of nearly 100km/h plus torrential rain and 2cm hail.The outflow from this storm triggered new storms to its north,which delivered a nice lightning show after dark. 

Heres a short video of the storm(about 40seconds,3.5mbs)and some brief footage of the lightshow after dark .If anyone could post radar images of the storm,that would be greatly appreciated :)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v168/pingtang100/?action=view&current=Untitled_0001.flv

PS,I've got footage of the Dec 9 supercell from a blue mountains perspective.I'll post a short video of that in the coming days.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2008, 01:00:51 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline TroyVR

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • B.O.M Storm Spotter
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2008, 04:05:18 PM »
Better late then never indeed. That video was very good, some nice flashes there and there was a lot of rotation in some of those clouds by the looks.

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2008, 05:27:54 PM »
Nice little video there Pingtang. Can I ask what sort of video camera you are using and is that a fish eye style lens on some of the scenes?

Look forward to seeing your Dec 9 footage. I imagine your view from the Blue Mountains would have shown some impressive structure.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2008, 01:02:16 AM »
Nice video highlights there - thanks for posting. Here's the radar - just as well I archive so much :)

--->Sydney radar loop

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline pingtang

• Multi-vortex F1
    • Southcoastweather
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2008, 02:05:29 PM »
Hi james. I've owned a gs300 for the past 2 seasons now,but ive only had the fish eye since the start of this season.I got it for $100 off ebay,and its come in very handy especially with the Kiama storm. Ps, thanks for the radar images Michael!