Author Topic: Nsw / vic heat, Rain and storms 17 - 19 Dec 2009  (Read 12858 times)

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
Nsw / vic heat, Rain and storms 17 - 19 Dec 2009
« on: 18 December 2009, 06:23:03 AM »
Well here in Sydney at the moment it is really really hot and let me tell you now it is hard to breathe when you are outside. I’m in the Westmead area and it is currently 39. The winds are a westerly to north westerly and there is some convection in the skies towards penrith and Katoomba regions. The cumulus have only just recently started developing and already some of them are turning into cumulonimbus. I will report as the day progresses.

Antonio

• Stove pipe F3
Re: Nsw / vic heat, Rain and storms 17 - 19 Dec 2009
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2009, 09:20:12 AM »
Hey guys just had a short burst of rain here near Parramatta and it was also very windy during the storm. It lasted for about 10 minutes and it is now hot again. Below is a radar capture of the storm that hit with a corresponding picture.

Antonio
« Last Edit: 18 December 2009, 09:57:14 AM by Antonio (stormboy) »

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2009, 03:42:14 PM »
Well after a very very hot day here in Sydney with many scattered but small thunderstorms sweeping through the area we were left with 0.2mm here at parramatta no rain at all!. Now some rumbles came again from the north but they are moving east. The southerly change is expected between 12am and 4am tonight bringing with it rain bands.

Below are some pictures of the leftover storms in the north. At this time it was still 40C.

Antonio.

See : 128km Radar Loop for Sydney (Terrey Hills), 11:00 16/12/2009 to 11:00 17/12/2009 UTC

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
After a boiler of a day today the 17th of December with the temp reaching 42.4 here at home  a nice line of storms finally made it to the north of parramamtta around 8pm giving off a great display of cg lightning before outflow winds led into an evening anvil crawler display, Cheers Con.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2009, 04:59:53 PM »
Hi guys. Apparently the storm that passed over Blacktown around 3pm caused some damage mainly near Prospect with the SES receiving over 30 calls for assistance. Just a shame it didn't pass over the Londonderry fire on the way and drop some rain on it.

Tonight's storm near Parramatta had finished dropping ground strikes by the time it got here and all the action I noted was crawlers. Still the first good chance to try out the lightning trigger on the camera and pretty happy. Due to the cloud/rain wrapped bolts I have had to cheat a little bit in Paintshop to bring up the detail of the bolts but hey!

The first is an earlier cell around 5:30pm that passed south of here, but the sunlight was illuminating the bushfire smoke quite well.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2009, 05:06:53 PM »
Incidentally crondes, that 2nd last shot you posted looks very much like the 2nd one I posted. Probably the same one but you were in a much better position! I had a stupid tree in the way for a start.

A bit more coming over now, might be worth getting the camera out again :-)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2009, 06:26:33 PM »
Hi guys,

Yes very hot day yet again and producing high based storms in the process. Here are some pictures - I was too close to the storm yet again so had to slavage whatever I could.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2009, 06:41:12 AM »
Hey guys well the thunderstorms fired up again last night, I was rudely awakened! :P But it was worth it. The CG’s were flooding the sky but I am hopeless at lightning photography so tell me what you think of these 6 that I could take. 3 posts because 300kb size limit.

Antonio

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2009, 06:42:25 AM »
Here are the next two of the CG’s they cannot be sized down any more so there will only be room for two.

Antonio

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2009, 06:45:11 AM »
And here is the last of the set after this the thunderstorms and rain (very heavy) continued over the next few hours. Today it is raining and has not stopped yet. I will be coming back to Ballina on the 23RD Wednesday next week – thank god!.

foe the picture on the bottom i just caught it on the screen it was very tricky but i think im getting better.

Antonio

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2009, 08:36:48 AM »
Work mate received a call and phone pics of damage at Albury Wodonga (did I spell that right?).  A storm ripped through the suburb with winds of 160km/h - is that right?  I saw the photos of complete roofs torn off!!!  His mates house was roofless and it was sitting in the neighbors front lawn!  Anyone got any details?
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Dazman

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
Hi All

First time poster...

Warning just issued by BoM

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for FLASH FLOODING, LARGE HAILSTONES and DAMAGING WIND
For people in parts of the
NORTHERN RIVERS,
MID NORTH COAST and
NORTHERN TABLELANDS Forecast Districts.

Issued at 2:37 pm Friday, 18 December 2009.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce very heavy rainfall, flash flooding, large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Coutts Crossing, Nymboida, Bellingen, Dorrigo, Ebor and Glenreagh.

The Grafton radar currently showing a nice cell just north of Dorrigo.

Daz

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2009, 10:23:01 AM »
There was a heap of wind damage down this way from storms. Albury and Wodonga copped it pretty bad, house roofs blown off, huge trees uprooted and even a large business building roof colapsed.
Mainly tree and shed damage around our immediate area. Also extensive power outages.
What there were of thunderstorms blew over really quickly and visibility due to dust and smoke was very poor.
There was also a pretty nasty fire north of Albury that went through the little town of Gerogery, I think it started at the Walla tip. The fire went right through the little township and houses were lost, but not lives thankfully.
Yesterday wasn't too far from hell!

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2009, 03:37:14 PM »
Hi guys,

I was talking with friends of mine last night about the storm that hit the Albury area. Apparently the winds were ridiculous! Not much in the way of lightning though, so I was told (my friends there have a few years experience with storms as they started about the same time that I did)

There were several roofs blown off (in parts), another friend of mine there told me it totally ripped the sky light off her house! There were plenty of trees down, one poor guy had his new Subaru WRX crushed in the Coles carpark at Lavington and there is a large tree at the 5 ways intersection that I heard blew over causing a bit of traffic havoc.

Along with the bush fires at Gerogery the police, fire and emergency rescue reports were going crazy on the scanners!

Shame I wasn't still down there to get a few shots of the destruction. Probably for the best I guess. I'll be living down there soon enough so I'll have my fair share of it over time.

Kindest regards,
Shauno

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Clayton

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #14 on: 20 December 2009, 04:00:25 PM »
Hey Everyone

We have had some decent falls already up in the Northern Rivers.
At Tyalgum I have recorded 20mm since 5:00pm.
Some Much needed rain and its good to have it again as we are on tank water.
So hopefully we will continue to get some decent falls for tomorrow.

Clayton