Author Topic: NSW/VIC Severe Storms 10 - 12 January 2010  (Read 12011 times)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
NSW/VIC Severe Storms 10 - 12 January 2010
« on: 11 January 2010, 12:34:42 PM »
Just had an excited call from Jimmy who was in a violent storm at Jerrys Plains this afternoon (10th Jan). Damaging winds and hail along with constant powerful CGs. The cell that caused it has just weakened near Muswellbrook.  Excellent lapse rates with tops probably pushing 15ks today. Moisture from the weak change along the coast did the trick.

Looking forward to the report and photos.

MB
« Last Edit: 11 January 2010, 12:43:51 PM by Michael Bath »
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: NSW/VIC Severe Storms 10 - 12 January 2010
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2010, 05:14:37 PM »
I was up at Windsor today and saw that storm forming to the NW of me, near Bilpin. It was starting to look impressive on the radar and developed a nice anvil and shelf cloud though I didn't get a photo. Had I not been helping a mate out on community radio a run up Putty Road was looking pretty tempting, though when spotted on radar initially it was in fairly innacessible country over Wollemi National Park.

When I got home later it had seemed to intensify quite nicely on the radar loop.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2010, 03:05:46 AM »
Hi,

Chase Report Putty Road and Jerrys Plains explosive severe storm January 10 2010

All pictures from this day could be observed at the following link:
http://www.australiasevereweather.com/photography/photos/2010/jd20100110.html

Thanks for Michael being so quick in putting it up and for the assisting on this chase. Thanks for Kimberly for giving the go ahead for chasing!

Thanks Michael for the introduction to this unusually fascinating event! When storm tops go up and then rise another level with pileus on top of that you know you have a deep atmosphere! My concept of a successful and entertaining chase is to see updrafts and structure, the anvil and then to enter the core! This is what occurred today.

My intention yesterday was to let the family enjoy a day in Castle Hill Shopping Centre. We did and I just did some stuff on the internet - and of course I checked occasionally the weather. I saw the initial cells go up near Lithgow and Mudgee and just told Imelda there were storms. She said did I want to go - I said - "their probably not exciting - it's up to you". She got back to me to suggest that Kimberly gave the go ahead. I was packed in short time!

When I got out of the shopping centre, I was astonished to see a nice developing cell that would become the Putty cell.

Pileus on top of the now very high anvil

But the storm wanted to go up even further - take a look closely at the updraft shooting upwards

The more we looked at it, successive updrafts were forcing up. But surprisingly, this was not dying like pulse storms typically do, more updrafts would push and suport the anvil. By the time we got to near Windsor, another powerful updraft just shot straight through and produced an overshoot. At this stage, I was a danger to society with the rush of adrenalin! This storm would simply not die. We were headed to the Bells Line of Road! Err - that cell is closer than we think - what if it is closing in on Putty. A check from Michael Bath saved the day!

This was a magnificent pulse storm!

Even when the storm weakened, the anvil still was crisp

Heading up the Putty Road saw the anvil maintain for an hour though the cell was weakening. I was concerned with the anvil shield blocking the heat source but at the same time hoping that the cumulus to its east would develop - somehow. By the time we got near Putty, a line of large cumulus had developed in typical behaviour associated with outflow convergence. And as we drew near, this line literally exploded. Crisp towers just bulged overhead and just went higher.

Outflow from the weakening cell near Putty pushed these cells up

Explosively

And up even further

As soon as the first precipitation fell, the first bolt followed by another. I knew based on the structure and the slight green tinge in the updraft that hail was likely and of course the shear height of the updrafts. This was the most exciting time I have ever had on the infamous 16km of winding roads. Hailstones pecked at the car and aerial followed by rain and occasional hailstones. I was a little disappointed by the size but given the warm atmosphere, should not complain. Occasionaly cloud to ground lightning deafended the area.

Here is the base and lower updraft

As we exited the Putty Road near Bulga, I stopped despite the light rain still falling, the storm had organised in two cells - one west of Cessnock and another south of Jerrys Plains. The Cessnock cell was extremely active though not powerful bolts. I timelapsed this and saw lightning as frequent as you can get. The activity gradually decreased and I could see that outflow was dominating this cell and the Jerrys Plains cell was cranking up.

The cell west of Cessnock and one of the many frequent bolts though not powerful

Cranking up was an understatement, as we neared the cell, I simply had to stop and film sucessive and sometimes multiple cloud to ground lightning piercing the ground in excellent contrast. A microburst with rain and hail was descending in the area and we entered the core. Cloud to ground lightning was hammering around us some in the adjacent field. As we neared Jerrys Plains I noticed we were outside a sharp zone of heavy preciptation to nothing. A u-turn was in order! It was not long when we were once again in the core and blasted by powerful straight line winds and hailstones perhaps up to 1.5cm (not measured). Pink cloud to ground lightning were still ripping around us. As the weather eased we headed back west into Jerrys Plains but the core had moved north. An eerie silence was in town. Lightning bolts were still descending from the anvil and quite powerful too but it was on a downhill trend. Still bolts occasionally would brighten up the sky behind us.

Jerrys Plains cell was not that exciting at first

Most of the action was caught on video of course.

Cell near Murrurundi

Mammatus
Cell near Murrurundi

I was so pumped with adrenalin that I had not realised I had skipped lunch! I was not even hungry - until we passed MacDonalds in Scone! We were in pursuit of another cell or two nearing Murrurundi and Tamworth. But as we closed in, it was evident that the massive anvil plume had cooled the atmosphere - not even outflow could encourage nearby updrafts. We stayed the night in Tamworth.

This has to be the most exciting core punch for us this season and perhaps for a year or two! And to think, we had virtually not planned to chase except locally say near Lithgow!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 14 January 2010, 02:29:45 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2010, 06:59:17 AM »
You can keep the TV storm chasing shows....Jimmy's commentary for this storm had me sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the next photo and text!!!  Great report and awesome convective power....loved it!
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2010, 05:31:03 PM »
Great narrative and photos of your Hunter chase yesterday Jimmy, yes some fantastic vertical development in those updrafts, here at home while playing with the children I
photographed those updrafts  including the overshooting top as captured on the satpic on Michael's post,

Explosive vertical development around 4.15pm on the Jerry's plains cell

3 minutes later on the same updraft with pileus and poweful updrafts

20 minutes later and we have the overshooting top as shown on the 4.30pm satpic.,

Beautiful to watch, glad you made it a memorable day for us all to share Jimmy,
 Cheers, Con.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2010, 10:00:57 AM »
Hi guys,

Con, that is mega-explosive updraft - as David Croan described like a volcanic eruption! I am glad you have those images - sensational.

Chase Report January 11th 2010 - North West Slopes and Plains

Not a successful chase but still managed to obtain some nice picture opportunities from the cell near Premer and also southeast of Mudgee.

Initially, we had to wait until mid-afternoon before the first cell developed rapidly east of Premer. Unfortunately, being at Tamworth, we had little chance of intercepting this relatively powerful pulse. When we passed through the region, we noticed branches and leaves across the road indicating that a strong microburst. The road was wet and with a mist though I cannot confirm hail in the area.

Indications of microburst damage

Weak cells later

Cell southeast of Mudgee near Ilford

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 13 January 2010, 10:19:29 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: NSW/VIC Severe Storms 10 - 12 January 2010
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2010, 05:10:50 PM »
I'm sitting here at the computer and suddenly heard thunder, and there are quite a few ICs (no bolts visible, all inside the cloud). Where did that come from? The cloud cover looks fairly broken, but looking at the radar a storm has suddenly appeared from nothing over the last few loops and is stationary over Marsfield, about 8km east at a guess and over the last 30 minutes of the loop has gone from absolutely nothing to orange in intensity. Bizarre, though a nice dump of rain if it decided to come back west might cool things down a bit!

EDIT: Have fixed the date.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2010, 04:36:53 AM by Michael Bath »

Offline Paul D

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2010, 12:24:03 PM »
The news story in the :-Storm News and Media Headlines

Storm 40-metre-high electricity towers mangled by strong winds

mentions 5 high voltage transmission towers which are suggested to have been bought down by strong winds at app 4pm yesterday in the vicinity / near of Pyramid Hill, VIC.
That appears to be not far from where the left mover ( John mentions in the last post ) was at the time.
Like how the report suggests mini tornado again. The last time I heard of high voltage towers falling over was the real thing.
( http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/wa/sevwx/spmay99.pdf )
If they are maintained and made to meet the same standards they should have a very high wind rating. Does anyone know the approximate / exact ratings? >200km/h seems to be the number I recall.
See what eventuates..
Cheers
Paul
« Last Edit: 14 January 2010, 12:38:21 PM by Paul D »

Offline Paul D

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2010, 12:58:30 PM »
US data for metal trussed towers:-
http://www.SPCA.Noah.gov/upscale/24.HTML
quotes damage occurring app bettween 185 - 260 km/h for metal trussed electrical transmission line towers,
(may be different for Aust specs?)

PD

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2010, 03:56:36 PM »
John, I was watching that cell on the Yarrawonga radar yesterday afternoon and it sure was moving fast! Really hope you can get permission to post the photos, I can't wait to see them.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2010, 04:57:15 PM »
ABC has a photo up with the article, not sure how long it will be valid for...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/13/2791233.htm

The video link there has more views of the towers as well as uprooted trees and roof damage.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201001/r497646_2613034.asx

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2010, 05:27:26 AM »
That is some serious wind damage...to bring down those towers.  Does anyone know the sustained gust times in that area..perhaps a Doppler graphic may assist?
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2010, 11:49:17 AM »
The cell was beyond the range of Doppler when it was the strongest. Melbourne radar was down but Yarrawonga shows it. Load this then change to 128km scale or doppler as required.

See : 256km Radar Loop for Yarrawonga, 03:00 12/01/2010 to 09:00 12/01/2010 UTC
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au