Author Topic: Storms (incl night waterspouts) and Rain NSW / QLD : 7-8 Sep 2009  (Read 23463 times)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
We have storms predicted for this afternoon then tending towards thundery rain later this evening. Ran the skewT analysis for forecast max and dew points and at this early stage it is showing the possibility of severe storms. Need to see what the analysis will be with the new sounding just after 11.00am. It could be a good afternoon in SEQ.

Col

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
RE: Storms (incl night waterspouts) and Rain NSW / QLD : 7-8 Sep 2009
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2009, 03:49:00 AM »
Col,

No doubt there should be storms around though I am very concerned about 'better quality storms' based on the mass of cloud cover. I would probably assume based on the models that the soundign will eventually show almost railyway tracks (moist sounding) in the mid levels. Not something I enjoy seeing on soundings.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2009, 08:18:43 AM »
NSW central has been issued with severe storm warning: Bom states

CENTRAL TABLELANDS and parts of the
SOUTHERN TABLELANDS,
CENTRAL WEST SLOPES and
SOUTH WEST SLOPES Forecast Districts.

Issued at 1:43 pm Monday, 7 September 2009.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Orange, Mudgee, Bathurst, Katoomba, Goulburn, Yass and Young.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2009, 09:33:01 AM »
Some action on the SW outskirts of Sydney now. Will it survive the drop off the escarpment into Wollongong ?

Pity the new Terrey Hills radar is not online till Wednesday.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2009, 10:04:53 AM »
Thunderstorms now in the grafton / Stanthorpe area now and the lightning tracker are going crazy in places. Maybe a nice storm.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar.jsp?lt=wzstate&lc=nsw&ane=1&anf=1&and=1&ana=7&anb=333&anc=3&lya=1&lyk=1&lye=1&lyf=1

stormboy

Edit: Could we have a permanent link or delete this post thanks
« Last Edit: 09 September 2009, 02:59:45 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2009, 10:10:07 AM »
just an update on storm warning

For people in the CENTRAL TABLELANDS and parts of the METROPOLITAN, ILLAWARRA, SOUTHERN TABLELANDS, CENTRAL WEST SLOPES and SOUTH WEST SLOPES Forecast Districts.
Issued at 3:20 pm Monday, 7 September 2009.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Orange, Mudgee, Bathurst, Katoomba, Goulburn and Yass.

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2009, 11:09:05 AM »
Ok its getting very gusty now and some actual storms are heading for the NSW/ QLD border now and the lightning tracker is also improving here and Sydney area.

stormboy

Offline Chris.

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2009, 11:17:34 AM »
Warwick SE Qld. 7/09/09

A terrific storm just passed through here! Crop saving rain for many farmers who up till friday night had not seen rain for two months. Plenty of CG'S in this storm and thunder but have been unable to see anything all afternoon other than cloud cover. Was caught of guard as I had been driving around looking for a sign other than grey cloud, just came out of nowhere and passed in ten minutes!

Regards,
Chris.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2009, 11:45:53 AM »
That front Chris is just about upon us in Brisbane. No warnings as yet but looks like plenty of rain.  Northern NSW should be getting this rain as well and might put a bit of rain in Michael Baths water tanks.

Radar image at 5.40pm

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2009, 12:01:36 PM »
Just watched Tim baley on the channel ten weather he was standing outside with all the cloud to ground lightning in Sydney harbour. Looks wild.
some lightning here now just saw my first cloud to ground south of us maybe Evans head area.

stormboy

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2009, 02:00:42 PM »
Once again the main rain band has decided to bypass us and hit Brisbane instead. I can't see any real visible lightning towards that way because the atmosphere is cluttered with low cloud.

It's hard to say if the storms contain any significant hail, being Spring and all though I would imagine there being some.

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2009, 02:07:47 PM »
Thunderstorm - Western Sydney 7/9/2009:

A thunderstorm did pass across Western Sydney between 5.20 pm and 6 pm and another separate thunderstorm cell passed to the south.

However the storm that passed over Western Sydney was moving reasonably fast but did not drop substantial rainfalls.  The highest rainfall total occurred at Toongabbie with 4.5 mm falling, 4 mm at Northmead, 2 mm where I live in Blacktown and 2.5 mm at Seven Hills. Most other totals were light as well.

Driving home at the corner of Church Street and the Great Western Highway intersection Parramatta, some very large raindrops started falling at around 5.35 pm. This was followed by a brief downpour but a few minutes later the rain ceased. There were some moderate winds in that area (Great Western Highway) accompanying the rain but no hail fell. I saw one cloud to ground lightning strike and some intra cloud lightning. I noted heavier rain falling just to the north of Parramatta City Centre.

My friend Rita driving in Epping advised me she experienced a burst of heavy rain and some small hail in that locality. I also heard on the radio a few reports of small hail occurring at locations generally East of Seven Hills and around Parramatta as the storm passed over.

Harley Pearman

Offline TroyVR

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • B.O.M Storm Spotter
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2009, 03:20:41 PM »
I was at work so missed everything, But the Sutherland shire had heavy rain and some minor hail.

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2009, 04:11:44 PM »
Wow. I retract what I said earlier as we just had the heaviest rain seen since the May rain events, I'm sure. Can't understand how the airport didn't pick up anything out of this but it was rather isolated. I'd presume 20-30mm of rain has fallen locally which is a good thing considering how dry it's been.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2009, 05:07:09 PM »
Hi,

Chased the storm near Campbelltown - was in position for it to come through. I did get the tiniest hail but I was just south of the main core really - very difficult to chase in Sydney these days - too much traffic. But the gust front was half decent though elevated somewhat.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)