Author Topic: Eastern NSW - Storms - 21st - 23rd February 2007  (Read 10314 times)

Offline Dave Nelson

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Stormy Sydney
Eastern NSW - Storms - 21st - 23rd February 2007
« on: 24 February 2007, 05:19:46 PM »
hi Gang,

what a good week,  Tuesday was the only day I didn't physically go chasing.
  I wont go into Monday 20 in this thread as someone else already started one.

Wed. 21st
I took Wednesday off work and after a morning chatching up on some things in the morning
I headed down south from Sydney around 1330 EST.  Half way to Gouldburn my mobile internet
system on the laptop stopped working.
 Arriving in Gouldburn area I could see the large anvil of the cell that went across the Canberra area.
and a whole line of towers were going up.  This enticed me to head NW out to Crookwell. Stopping there,
I phoned Jimmy for a weather radar update, confirming the 2 growing cells almost overhead. I went out ~ 5km
on the road to Taralga, found a good viewing spot and settled in to watch the action.
   Initially there were 2 separate cells separated by just a few km's, but over the following 30 minutes they combined.  The storm was reasonably active with generous amounts of CC's and CG's.  I watched and photoed the storm for ~ 1.5 hrs before calling it quits and heading and ariving home ~ 10pm.

Thurs 22nd
  Cindy and I headed south and intercepted a couple of cells south of Campbelltown. The larger of the 2 was
heading towards the coast and finally went over Wollongong before dying out. The other was west of the Hume
and as it turned out a bit west of Picton.  We chased up into the back roads of the Oakdale area.
Although this storm was VERY active lightning wise. Very few of the strikes were visible as CG's or CC's.  Mainly it was just the clouds and area being lit up.

Fri 23rd
 After work, Cindy and I headed south again, targetting the Mossvale to Gouldburn area.  The weather radar was
 showing several cells coming and going in the region.  This turned into one of our best chases. After watching a
good looking cell S of Mittagong fall apart, our attention was drawn to a couple of towers going up to the west of the freeway.  It was a joy to watch this cell grow from nothing to a maturity and finally die some 2 hrs later.
It was quite photogenic, and a style I had waited to see for a long while. Viewing it had Cindy and I just standing
there and going WOW, WOW beautiful.  :)

cheers
Dave and Cindy Nelson

« Last Edit: 24 February 2007, 05:30:40 PM by Dave Nelson »

Jeff Brislane

Re: Eastern NSW - Storms - 21st - 23rd February 2007
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2007, 10:59:17 AM »
That's a nice looking cell Dave, very lp looking in it's structure.

I watched a big cell develop over the mountains from St Marys on Friday, all the way from a cumulus to a full blown thunderstorm with a massive anvil. I wished I could have chased it as it hit Katoomba head on. I hope someone was intercepting it as it was quite long lived and looked reasonbly strong on radar.

Jeff.

Offline pingtang

• Multi-vortex F1
    • Southcoastweather
Re: Eastern NSW - Storms - 21st - 23rd February 2007
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2007, 02:48:57 PM »
We got a brilliant electrical storm here in Nowra on Thursday evening(22nd) . The storm appeared quite severe out towards Nerriga with persistant wall cloud but the storm weakened somewhat as it approached the coast. We only got some light rain but the lightning was spectacular and we even had  a red sunset behind the lightning as well.