Author Topic: Fire Rainbow  (Read 12904 times)

Offline Geoff Thurtell

• Multi-vortex F1
Fire Rainbow
« on: 31 October 2008, 02:43:59 PM »
Greetings all,
I have just returned from a month in China and it looks like I missed a very interesting October, stormwise.
This subject is probably a little mundane for the storm season, however, it arrived in my email today and I would probably forget about it by the time the "off season" arrives.
I have never heard of a fire rainbow before. It is a very interesting phenomenon...

THIS IS A FIRE RAINBOW - THE RAREST OF ALL NATURALLY OCCURRING
ATMOSPHERIC PHENOMENA. THE PICTURE WAS CAPTURED THIS WEEK
ON THE IDAHO/WASHINGTON BORDER. THE EVENT LASTED ABOUT 1 HOUR.
CLOUDS HAVE TO BE CIRRUS, AT LEAST 20K FEET IN THE AIR, WITH JUST
THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF ICE CRYSTALS AND THE SUN HAS TO HIT THE
CLOUDS AT PRECISELY 58 DEGREES.

Regards,

Geoff

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: Fire Rainbow
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2008, 03:00:26 PM »
Yes I received it also and it's been doing the rounds.

I asked the bureau here what it was when I got sent the image and they tell me it's iridescence, something that's common if you're in the right spot at the right time.  Since photographing the a similar thing in a thunderstorm last season I've actually seen a few more since then now that I know what to look for.  Ice crystals illuminated by sunlight shining through it at the right angle.

My photo of one.  Was a brilliant find I thought!
« Last Edit: 31 October 2008, 03:06:11 PM by Mike »
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Geoff Thurtell

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2008, 03:58:26 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thank you for sharing your interesting photo with us. It sort of shatters the theory that it (iridescence/fire rainbows) only occurs in cirrus cloud at higher latitudes! Possibly the difference is that at higher latitudes a whole cloud field is illuminated with the iridescence, while the closer that you get to the equator, the more localised it becomes in the cloud structure. Now that I am more aware of this, it is definitely something that I will look for in the future.

Regards,

Geoff

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2008, 01:54:56 AM »
That photo is the front cover of the recently published book, "Kaleidoscope Sky" by Tim Herd.

The photo credit reads "circumhorizontal arc, Post Falls, Idaho, 3 June 2006. Photo by Brian Plonka.

"The bright, broad arc parallels the horizon and forms in ice crystal palates and columns when the sun is higher than 58 degrees in the sky."

So the description doing the rounds with the email is close to the mark for a change.
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2008, 04:49:30 AM »
Hi all,
That's a nice shot doing the rounds. And yours is a great photo also Mike! (which I like all the more due to the nice cell formation!)
We get these very frequently out here! Particularly as the cold fronts bring cirrus throughout winter, and the odd one now and again for the rest of the year.
I've always known these as Sun Dogs but I think there is a reference (the location of which escapes me for the moment but I have info somewhere in one of my astronomy books) to it possibly being a parhelion or perihelion? I may be wrong but I will do a little searching and see what I can find. Russ would remember so I will have to ask him upon his return from Brisbane. (He got me started on these weird light aberrations)

Regards,
Shauno 
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2008, 04:52:01 AM »
Here's the website where many of the weird atmospheric optics are on show:
http://www.kaleidoscopesky.net/
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2008, 04:57:43 AM »
I can get an outstanding photo of a sun dog and will have to get permission to use it, but it actually looks like it's painted on a blue sky - no PhotoShop mods or anything.  It's a pearler and I'll post it soon.  Thanks for the link and info MB and yes, nice to see that the description is correct for a change also!
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
Here's the amazing photo from Danny Young in New Zealand, used with kind permission.

No doctoring or PS.  Looks almost sureal.

StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Geoff Thurtell

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2008, 04:04:14 PM »
Hi Mike and Danny,

The photo that Danny has shared with us is an excellent example of cloud iridescence.

With all of the different terms appearing in this thread, I thought that I would do some research:

Circumhorizontal arcs (or fire rainbows) are a very rare phenomena that can only occur in cirrus cloud, as explained in the Wikipedia definition I have copied here:
"A circumhorizontal arc or circumhorizon arc (CHA), also known as a fire rainbow, is a halo or an optical phenomenon similar in appearance to a horizontal rainbow, but in contrast caused by the refraction of light through the ice crystals in cirrus clouds.

It occurs only when the sun is high in the sky, at least 58° above the horizon, and can only occur in the presence of cirrus clouds. It can thus not be observed at locations north of 55°N or south of 55°S, except occasionally at higher latitudes from mountains.[1]

To be visible the sun must be at an elevation of 57.8° (90 -32.2°) or more and if cloud conditions are right it is seen along the horizon on the same side of the sky as the sun. It reaches its maximum intensity at a sun elevation of 67.9° .

The phenomenon is quite rare because the ice crystals must be aligned horizontally to refract the high sun. The arc is formed as light rays enter the horizontally-oriented flat hexagonal crystals through a vertical side face and exit through the horizontal bottom face. It is the 90° inclination that produces the well-separated rainbow-like colours and, if the crystal alignment is just right, makes the entire cirrus cloud shine like a flaming rainbow.[1][2]

A circumhorizontal arc can be confused with an infralateral arc when the sun is high in the sky; the former is however always oriented horizontally where the latter is oriented as a section of a rainbow, e.g. as an arc stretching upwards from the horizon.[2]

One particularly fine example was photographed over northwestern Idaho on June 3, 2006, and was reported in both the New Scientist[3] and the Daily Mail (the latter under the caption "flaming rainbow"). As the event was eventually featured on National Geographic News,[4] the news quickly spread over the internet."

The photo that I posted is definitely a circumhorizontal arc, as noted in the final paragraph above.

Then, Mike, your photo and Danny's photo are examples of cloud iridescence.
"Cloud iridescence is a common phenomenon in which a cloud shows vivid unusual colors or an entire spectrum at once.
Formation
They are formed from small water droplets of near uniform size. When the sun is properly positioned, mostly behind thick clouds, these thin clouds almost coherently diffract sunlight, and as a rainbow, different wavelengths are diffracted different amounts. Thus the colors hit the observer from different directions.

Similar examples of diffraction
See also:
Corona
Oil spill
Rainbow
For similar looking clouds, see also: Polar stratospheric cloud "

Then Sun Dogs are another different phenomenon associated with a halo around the sun and the appearance of extra images of the sun in the arc around the sun.
"A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion, plural parhelia, for "beside the sun") is a common bright circular spot on a solar halo. It is an atmospheric optical phenomenon primarily associated with the reflection or refraction of sunlight by small ice crystals making up cirrus or cirrostratus clouds. Often, two sun dogs can be seen (one on each side of the sun) simultaneously.
Sundogs typically, but not exclusively, appear when the sun is low, e.g. at sunrise and sunset, and the atmosphere is filled with ice crystal forming cirrus clouds, but diamond dust and ice fog can also produce them. They are often bright white patches of light looking much like the sun or a comet, and occasionally are confused with those phenomena. Sometimes they exhibit a spectrum of colours, ranging from red closest to the sun to a pale bluish tail stretching away from the sun.[1] White sundogs are caused by light reflected off of atmospheric ice crystals, while colored sundogs are caused by light refracted through them. White sundogs are also thought to be caused by the light from the sun reflecting off of water on the ground and focusing the reflected light on the clouds above.

The ice crystals causing atmospheric phenomena are shaped as hexagonal prisms (ice Ih, e.g. with a hexagonal top and bottom and six rectangular sides). Some of these crystals are elongated, some are flat; the latter causing crisp and bright sundogs if evenly oriented with their hexagonal ends aligned horizontally, while the former produces other atmospheric phenomena, such as parhelic circles, 22° halos, circumzenithal arcs, upper tangent arcs, and lower tangent arcs. A mixture of various crystals with different alignments produces several of these phenomena at the same time.[1]

Variant of a parhelion at the South Pole. The sun is obscured.When sunlight passes through the sides of a flat crystal, both the angle of the sun rays and the orientation of the crystals affects the shape and colour of the sundogs. Misaligned or wobbling crystals produce colourful and elongated sundogs, while light passing through the crystal in non-optimal deviation angles (up to 50°) produces the "tail" of the sundog stretching away from the sun. As refraction is dependent on wavelength, the sundogs tend to have red inner edges while the colours farther from the sun tend to be more bluish-white as colours increasingly overlap.[1][2]

When the sun is low, the two sundogs are located on the circle of the 22° halo. As the sun rises, the sundogs slowly move along the parhelic circle away from the sun, finally to vanish as the sun reaches 61° over the horizon[1] (e.g. the sundogs move from the 22° halo to the circumscribed halo).[3]

On Earth, the first planet (counting from the sun) with significant amounts of ice crystal-carrying clouds, the pair of sundogs flanking the sun are aligned with the horizon. On other planets and moons where water and ice are less prevalent, however, various crystal structures produce different halos. On the giant gas planets—Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune—other crystals form the clouds of ammonia, methane, and other substances that can produce halos with four or more sundogs.[4]

In remote stretches of western Texas, sundog refers colloquially to a segment of a common rainbow."

Michael and Jimmy have a couple of examples in the photo gallery section of their website.

I hope that this is not too much information overload!

Regards,

Geoff

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2009, 06:22:15 PM »
i never have seen anything like it a cloud that is like a rainbow

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2009, 06:31:34 PM »
Could you please note down the source of the images and videos you post on this forum.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 18 January 2009, 06:01:26 AM by Michael Bath »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)