Author Topic: VIC and Melbourne Storms: 30 Oct 2008  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
VIC and Melbourne Storms: 30 Oct 2008
« on: 31 October 2008, 06:51:36 AM »
Hi all, not an earth shattering event but worth noting all the same.  A few scattered storms moved through Melbourne this morning between 9-10am putting down a few visible CG's (yes thats right! I saw CG's down here!).  Several anvils and some weak mammatus were visible also with these weak storms.  These cells passed through and I was hoping for some sun and surface warming through the early afternoon with models suggesting LI's of approx -2 and CAPE around 700'ish for later in the arvo.  Unfortunately it's clouded in and theres plenty of moisture in the air which may be preventing the necessary heating for decent storms later today.  We shall see.

Brad.
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
RE: VIC and Melbourne Storms: 30 Oct 2008
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2008, 09:53:28 AM »
Hi Brad,

I feel for you - sounds very exciting and the enthusiasm shows.

Seriously, hopefully more storms eventuate over the coming weeks and months as well as perhaps tonight. I have not studied the situation as yet for down your way.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Brad Hannon

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2008, 10:10:45 AM »
Thanks Jimmy - i'm trying not to sound too desperate haha.

Brief update on conditions down here:

A small high-based electrical storm passed right over the CBD half an hour ago and let fly with 2 (yes only 2) massive CG's.  I heard the first from an office on the 18th floor of my building and was lucky enough to get to a window to see the next bolt land less than 500m away in East Melbourne (near the cathedral which i'm surprised was not hit instead) followed by a phenomenal crack of thunder!  There were a series of less impressive CG's afterwards as the short-lived storm weakened as it moved ESE.  But being high based made for impressive long bolts while it lasted.
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2008, 03:41:49 PM »
Having been out working the beat today myself (coach driving can be fun - to help the "chase") - and likewise saw a few strong bolts around vermont south/ glen waverley area around 3.30pm - the storms were very high based, but also weak and thinner than most storms for melb at this time of year - the forecast is looking better for strong storms over the weekend, so hopefully we might get some good photogenic storms. I just need that shot....

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2008, 01:59:52 AM »
The BoM issued a number of severe thunderstorm warnings for a most of eastern VIC north of the coast last night and into this morning. They were just for damaging winds, but also included a mention of hail.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Brad Hannon

• Stove pipe F3
Re: VIC and Melbourne Storms: 30 Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2008, 05:34:04 AM »
Final update on yesterdays action (or lack of haha).  Finally at about 3pm the skies cleared and we got the solar heating I was hoping for but it may have been too late unfortunately.  I got home about 5pm and kept an eye on the radar/s and satpics for 30mins or so then headed up to my local lookout which is the highest point in metro Melbourne.  From there I watched westward for several hours (quite relaxing actually) as convection began to kick off and move ENE'ish which meant it was sliding to my north.  Several updrafts pulsed along a line and were quite strong but there was one (well several really) problem - I have never seen such shallow yet powerful updrafts!  Not only were they quite high based but they were extremely low topped as well hahahaha.  They never stood a chance as the tops were drawn away by S-Westerlies.  Two interesting things did occur as the sun was setting - first was a persistent horseshoe vortice and the second was mammatus in the upper remnants of a very very dead updraft which was clinging to what was effectively an orphan anvil.  Oh and there was a great sunset Jimmy!

As John intimated, there was a little action to the north of Melbourne after dark.  I had gone home and checked the radar at about 8.30 to see the another line of cells was building, possibly along a wind change convergence W and NW of Melbourne.  A quick look outside confirmed intracloud flashes followed by a bright flash which signified the possibility of CG action!  So off I went again in this desperate hunt for some action :)  Up to my lookout for the mandatory missed photo opportunity between 25 second exposures - a beautiful clear branching staccato CG which would have taken up 1/2 of my frame had the shutter been pressed.  Oh the heartache :(
These storms were moving NE away from me so I made the move to meet John on his advice at a new multistory location in the Eastern suburbs and we had some fun watching the cells drift into the Ranges.

Now we look to Sunday with hope.

Brad.

hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Re: VIC and Melbourne Storms: 30 Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2008, 04:19:42 AM »
Looks like Sunday and Monday both looking good for storm development - hopefully with the mid 20's temps and moderate humidity levels, maybe a severe storm or two might occur - it is a very weak start to the traditional storm season in Melb too - not a usual event. Hopefully... we get something worth showing in the posts.

Big Pete
PJJ