Author Topic: School is in!  (Read 3956 times)

Leroy

School is in!
« on: 23 October 2008, 08:20:22 AM »
Hi Guys,
I am your newest student. I have been obsessed with tornadoes for as long as I can remember and after Googling tornado over 1,000 times and buying everything off EBay with the word "Tornado' in it, I have now decided I want to chase the little blighters. I understand that here in Oz, we don't get anywhere near as many as the US, but that doesn't deter me at all. I have got a 2-3 year plan to head over to the USA and spend the spring there chasing with a few friends.
What I really want (And need) to do, is understand the forecasting side of things a lot better. I have posted on various forums asking for 'What data, charts, models, etc do chasers look at to determine:
A) If storms are expected today, tomorrow, etc
B) If they will be severe enough to produce tornadoes.
And I always seem to hit a brick wall as there are too many variables. I have resided myself to the fact that there is no one single resource material that will explain the storm chasers guide to forecasting tornadoes (There's a good book title for anyone willing to write it)! But I keep thinking 'There must be some small steps that I can do that will help me along the way'. There must be a starting point. And I suppose what my question is to you kind people..................... Where do I start?
I would be most appreciative to hear any advice, suggestions, etc and promise to put my head down and study as hard as I can!
Cheers
Leroy

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: School is in!
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2008, 10:38:59 AM »
Welcome Leigh.

You're asking what is pretty common with new members wishing to find out more.  If you browse this forum you'll locate plenty of info regarding tornadoes and in the chase reports in the gallery area.  Jimmy's storm observation section on the forum is vital reading as a heads up to what to look for when observing clouds - that's the key - observing what to look for.

There's some basics you need to get done first.

(1)  A storm glossary of weather terminology is essential.  You can find these online at http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/severewx/glossary.php
It is very informative and sends you to links to highlight certain aspects of thunderstorms.

(2) Take your time to understand how thunderstorms form and what they need to do so.  This forum supplies many threads and links for you to go to. to find out all this.

(3) As far as models such as GFS, NAPS, WRF etc - these will take a bit of time to know what to look for with fronts, troughs, boundaries, jetstreams, lows, winds, temps etc, etc - it's involved and whilst you can view them over and over, if you don't understand the basics of how weather patterns interact then it's like missing a part of a jigsaw.  I could supply all the links you need but you won't understand it !

(4) As far as books - my pick is Howard Bluestein's Tornado Alley, Monster storms of the Great Plains' is a wonderful starting point with photos and explanations.  You can get it through Amazon.com   Sign up to the BoM (Bureau of Meteorology in Oz) and sign up free as a storm spotter, they'll send you a book and chase handbook and lots of interesting info.

(5) When you say that you want to know when storms will be - well that's up to the bureau and you to work out!  It's called nowcasting - that's what chasers do when they want to plan a chase in advance or on the fly.  Forecasting is long term - say weekly, nowcasting is almost real time or daily/hourly.

So you're wrong with your thoughts that there's no help, there's heaps.  you just have to take your time - one step at a time.  it's a very complicated field to get your head around first up!

Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Leroy

« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2008, 08:34:02 AM »
Thanks Mike,
Really appreciate all the tips and advice.
Starting my 'Storm Chasing Bible' as we speak.
Look forward to keeping in touch with you and everyone else.
Cheers
Leroy

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2008, 01:45:14 PM »
here is a good link to the university of illinois , of course with the description of where to be in relation to the storm you need to remember we are in  a different hemisphere

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/svr/home.rxml
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2008, 05:35:10 AM »
here is another good link from the NWS in USA