Author Topic: Southeast QLD & Northeast NSW Rain and Flood Event 4 – 6 MAY 2010  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
Well i think it is about time someone started a topic on the most evident Rainfall event that is unfolding in the area of southeast Queensland and Northeast New south whales.

A severe weather warning is also current for the northern NSW area with Flash flooding very likely.

The warning is as follows:

Synoptic Situation: 9:00 am EST Tuesday
A high lies over the Tasman Sea, while a trough near the northern New South Wales coast has brought steady rain to the region during the past 12 hours. A cold front is approaching the state from the west.

Rain is expected to continue this afternoon and is likely to be locally very heavy. Isolated thunderstorms are also forecast. This situation may lead to flash flooding.

I don’t know if anyone has noticed But the Ballina Airport in NSW observations is not up and running and has therefore not provided important evidence of heavy rain last night but luckily with my weather station up i am able to provide you a Chart for the rainfall last night. If you take a good look at the chart (BELOW) you will see in between 3 and 4AM the rainfall skyrockets very Quickly.

The total so far for last night 00:00 to 5pm today is 66.6mm -Ballina

Also another area with heavy rainfall recorded from last night was Coolangatta in QLD with 95.6mm recorded.

Rainfall has Eased since mid Morning in most areas to just light patches but i will not be surprised if again tonight we have more locally heavy falls.

Below is my rainfall chart and the Southeast Qld Radar showing the Event Developing and Easing.

See : 128km Radar Loop for Brisbane, 08:00 03/05/2010 to 08:00 04/05/2010 UTC

Antonio.