Author Topic: Central Tablelands snow / Sydney storms: 7 August 2008  (Read 15930 times)

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
Central Tablelands snow / Sydney storms: 7 August 2008
« on: 07 August 2008, 01:06:28 AM »

If anyone is as bored as me , i will be heading out near Shooter Hill , oberon and surrounds on thursday afternoon to have crack at some snow. looks like 5pm or so into evening for snowfalls.

Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
RE: Central Tablelands snow / Sydney storms: 7 August 2008
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2008, 09:50:28 AM »
Nick spoke to me just after 3pm and suggested he was observing snow on the ground but patchy on the way to Oberon - which is at 1100 metres above sea level. He is awaiting some moisture injection but it seems the main front may already be through. There is the central part of the low coming through later.

He'll report his findings when he is back.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 08 August 2008, 10:35:06 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline wol

• Multi-vortex F1
RE: Central Tablelands snow / Sydney storms: 7 August 2008
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
Here is the main front passing through western syd heading east.  Scattered lightning and 5mm hail.

My german shepherd doesn't like storms as much as I do though...

Wolter Peeters
SMH Photographer

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
Re: Central Tablelands snow / Sydney storms: 7 August 2008
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2008, 09:04:37 AM »
Nice canine view of the storm there Wolter,
The following shot was taken as it passed over Fairfield around 2.20 pm showing a bit of greenage with lightning and outflow winds  adding to the drama, Cheers, Con

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2008, 02:55:25 PM »
I could not take any photos as I was at work however it was the first thunderstorm I have experienced since April 13 this year being 115 days between thunderstorms.

For August this storm displayed some reasonable cloud structure at times as it passed over Auburn where I work. I was watching the lightning tracker and counted some 72 lightning flashes over or near Sydney and environs as it passed over between 2 and 3 pm. Until 5.15 it appears that 137 flashes had occurred with the most common being Negative CG flashes (71 flashes in total).

The most active period and the most active storms were around Sydney between the period of 1 to 3 pm then waning afterwards, particularly as the storm cells crossed the coast and weakened.

There was little rainfall where I live being 0.5 mm and 1 mm at Auburn. Some places south of Auburn such as Bankstown scored 5.6 mm, Homebush Bay 3.6 mm and Granville 4 mm but most other falls were in the 1 to 3 mm range throughout western Sydney. The highest total was 11 mm at Chatswood and 4.4 mm at Observatory Hill. It is noted that 7 mm fell at La Peruse in Sydney's east.

Harley Pearman

Offline TroyVR

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • B.O.M Storm Spotter
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
was unfortunetly carless at the time but got a few snaps while hangin around.

Megzy

« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
Hi this is my third attempt at posting my first post and i hope it works! I took these shots of thursdays storm from Earlwood looking towards Ashbury in Sydneys inner west.I ended up underneath it at Dulwich Hill amongst a lot of nervous onlookers. I'd love to know what type of cell this is as i have never seen anything like it here before.. Thanx  Megan

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2008, 09:25:55 PM »
Great photos.  Looks like some half decent instability in the latter pics, there's plenty of motion underneath the storm.  Did the storm produce any hail?
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14