Author Topic: Favourite book on meteorology or storm chasing  (Read 14358 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Favourite book on meteorology or storm chasing
« on: 21 March 2006, 01:19:33 AM »
If you have any favourite on meteorology or storm chasing (as many you wish), please feel free to post your thoughts on the book. Please list the full title, author and so forth.
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

weatherkid

Re: Favourite book on meteorology or storm chasing
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2006, 12:18:31 AM »
my favorite is weather by national geograpics

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2006, 12:02:52 PM »
Awesome,

Let us know more about the book - what is in the book and what you like in particular.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2006, 08:43:46 PM »
Hi all!!! Have been inactive on this forum over the last few months and I'm grateful to be reminded by Jimmy of what I'm missing out on.  :-[  ;)

My favourite book on meteorology is indefinately "The Australian Weather Book" by Keith Collis and Richard Whitaker from the BoM. Special features include topics on the greenhouse effect, the ozone layer depletion and forecasting online. The book focuses on a variety of issues, topics and areas of interests... of which are:

a) In the beginning
b) Climate of Australia
c) General Circulation of the atmosphere (including the coriolis force and effect)
d) Macroscale Circulations
e) Mesoscale Circulations (including the commonly known "southerly buster")
f) Clouds
g) Meteorological instruments
h) Weather and Society
i) Climate and Climate Change (focuses on the effects humans are having on our climate both at present and also for the future)

I have only recently begun reading this book and have found the history of meteorology very much intriguing... how met evolved both on a nation wide spectrum and on a global scale. The three main eras of weather worldwide have been the "Divine Era" and the "Folkloric Era" ... both of which are based on theories and thoughts associated with religion or traditions passed down from generation to generation. Meteorology has rapidly grown over the last 100 years or so... even more so with advanced improvements in technology over the last 10 years. This era (beginning from around about the 1850's) -the Scientific Era- has changed weather forever. :D

Will post more information on the next section (the Climate of Australia) as more information comes to hand... and as I continue to read the book. :)

Steve :D
« Last Edit: 08 August 2006, 08:45:29 PM by Stephen »

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2006, 08:30:26 AM »
For anyone interested in severe thunderstorms, I suggest "Tornado Alley - Monster Storms of the Great Plains" by Prof Howie Bluestein. This guy is the epitome of eloquence - wonderful at conveying complex concepts to the lay person with ease. Also some wonderful pictures in there as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195307119/sr=8-1/qid=1155009345/ref=sr_1_1/103-1462801-5319000?ie=UTF8
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2006, 11:24:37 AM »
Hi David,

Being a visual person, the illustrations and excellent photography are breathtaking in any of his wooks.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

zacaroo

« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2007, 06:55:07 AM »
My favorite is the one I got for Christmas- The NBN Weather Book. It isn't just about storms it is more predominantly focused at all aspects of the weather which is good to learn from.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2007, 01:49:21 PM »
 Post is a bit late, but my favorite site to view is Jeff Haby's weather site.  He gives technical and practical explanations through his website http://www.theweatherprediction.com/ and I've found it most educating also http://weather.cod.edu/ for USA weather, And I've just ordered that book 'Tornado Alley Story' online..chaffing at the bit!

Mike
« Last Edit: 03 August 2007, 02:24:51 PM by Mike »
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2007, 08:45:36 AM »
Have just received my copy of Tornado Alley - Monster Storms of the Great Plains" by Prof Howie Bluestein.  Holy cow!  I've just ficked through the first eleventeen pages and already I'm smiling madly!  Some awesome photos and the information looks just superb.

I bet those that have been to the US and re-read that book really get itchy feet....:)

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com

Lecram

« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2007, 05:26:41 PM »
I am proud to say I also own a copy of Howard Blustein's book. It is very very good and also a good reference to have. :)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2007, 12:23:44 AM »
Welcome Lecram,

What were your most exciting components of the book?  Mine were the pictures when I have flicked through it.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2007, 10:00:22 AM »
Welcome also Lecram!  Have to say the explanations and diagrams for thunderstorms and tornadic supercell structures is excellent.  Some of the photos are very, very good indeed.  I would have to admit that this was money well spent - wish it was 100 pages longer!

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline David Brodrick

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Oz Forecast
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2007, 01:24:04 PM »
Just picked up a copy of 'Meteorology for Scientists and Engineers' by Roland Stull. I've bought a few met books lately but none of them have been worth mentioning until now (depending on what you're looking for of course).

This is a great textbook (no photos), which goes into a lot of detail, including math. But don't let that put you off, the text in the book is very well written and I've already learned a truckload after just an hour flicking through it. The math is useful but not over the top and includes many worked examples.

I also got a copy of 'Meteorology Today' by Ahrens. This is also a textbook that seems aimed at an introductory met class. I'll post my thoughts on that one as well if it looks any good.

Regards,
  Dave

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2007, 01:31:54 PM »
Hey Dave.

Yes unfortunately the math parts of it just go out the back door with me!  Not that i dismiss it altogether having said that.  It's a worthwhile addition i have noted as you can sort of see what it all means with the equations.  It is a foundation of meteorology in essence, interesting nonetheless.  I have heard of that Met today book and shall look that up.

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2007, 08:17:05 AM »
Dear all

This is excellent. I have spent a small fortune on weather books of late.  An excellent one in my new collection include:-

Extreme Weather by Christopher C Burt -2007.

It examines weather mostly in the USA giving all the weather records from heat related to the worst cold snaps, strongest cold fronts and deadly floods.

There is an excellent commentary on Tornadoes and severe thunderstorms. Australia is also featured in section too particularly for hail events. It confirms that quote "The costliest hail storm in world history struck Sydney Australia on April 14, 1999 and damage exceeded US $1 Billion". The damage from that in A dollars was $2.07 Billion which included uninsured loses. Thus Sydney is there with some of the better storms that have occurred world wide.

There is some excellent commentary on The Big Thompson River supercell of 1976 in Colorado, Tri State Tornado of 1925, Jumbo Outbreak April 3 and 4 1974 and Oklahoma City event of 1999.

There are some excellent diagrams and photos of twisters near Spearman (Texas), Pampa (Texas) and a rare tornado in Nevada swirling across the Black Rock Desert (This was a big dusty tornado).

Recommended for those who like statistics and facts regarding freak and extreme weather events.

Harley Pearman