Author Topic: Major Flooding Event for Northern NSW and S QLD & NE SA March 2010  (Read 28329 times)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Re: Major Flooding Event for Northern NSW and S QLD & NE SA March 2010
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2010, 06:46:37 AM »
Hi all,

Just a quick update on proceedings before I go inspect and photograph the floodwaters again today.

The Big Warrambool (also know as the Bailey Bridges by us locals) 25k's South of Lightning Ridge is now in flood. Russ crossed it today on his way South and stopped to talk to a few locals and SES members that are waiting and watching things very carefully. They will close this area of the Castelreagh once waters are 20cm deep over the road. The road itself should be under 2 or 3cm of water by late this afternoon but the fate of the actual bridges is unknown as the waters there are fast flowing.

The old Collarenerbri Road is under a massive amount of water. We took photos from the edge of town just near the artesian Bore Baths yesterday afternoon. There has been a 1 metre high levee built there to protect the hot pools. I will try and put together a good photo post tonight or tomorrow morning after I've done the rounds today. I will also check the Coocoran Lake if I get time. 

The area of the Castlereagh Highway at the Weetalibah crossing is now gone according to the local SES. This is no surprise as Russ and I found a large section of bitumen that came loose in the calm parts of the waters.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2010, 08:17:38 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a quick update, photos and some info to post.

Our local paper The Ridge News has some tidbits of information on the Coocoran Lake this week that I'd like to share here. Coocoran (Pronounced: Cookren) means birds migrating in an Aboriginal dialect and is an 800 hectare depression NW of Lightning Ridge N.S.W. that only fills when the Southern Queensland rivers go into significant flood.
The  dates that the lake has filled previously are 1910, then not again until 1950 and 1956 where 3meters depth of water was measured. The subsequent 1974, 1976, 1983, 1990 and 1996 fills (I don't actually recall the 1996 flood personally due to work commitments) all had an average depth measurement of 1.5metres. The 1990 flood was the last significant fill of the lake.

I inspected the Weetalibah Crossing again yesterday (Thursday the 25th of March) and it seems to have dropped by 5cm or so. The waters are still very fast flowing and the channels would be fairly deep in parts.

I also stopped for a few photos as I saw the Coocoran Lake from the Castlereagh Highway on the way out to Weetalibah and was very surprised that the lake is almost full already! The water would still be fairly shallow but it's totally covering the lake.

The first photo is of the Coocoran Lake about 18k's North of Lightning Ridge about 100metres from the edge of the Castlereagh Highway. The distance looking West (in the photo) across the water here is 5k's. The lake is 10k's across the length North to South.

The second photo is of the current state of the old Collarenerbri road. This was taken looking East about 70metres from the end of the bitumen of Pandora Street (near where the artesian Bore Baths are located)

There is a 60 Minutes story on the floods coming Sunday night on Channel 9 so it may be worth a watch just to see the immense scale of the flooded areas and what we are dealing with out here.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2010, 09:07:06 AM »
Shaun

I'm amazed by the pics you have taken, Well Done Mate!

Also noticed how clear the water is in your shots. Might be almost good enough to drink! lol.

Big Pete
(PS I think we're expecting possible storms here this arvo in Melbourne - keeping an eye out)
PJJ

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
Hi Big Pete,

Thanks, yeah it does look clear where it's settled but I can assure you it's pretty muddy and dirty looking everywhere else lol. Not sure the poison runoff from the farms or the bacteria content would be at drinking water standards somehow.  ;)

Take it easy and best of luck with the storms!

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #19 on: 05 April 2010, 01:09:44 PM »
Hi all,

Just an update of the floodwaters out here (along with a few photos soon).

The Weetalibah Crossing has receded a lot. Went out today and it was about ankle deep (between 6 and 15cm) but there is significant road damage with most of the bitumen scarred totally off leaving exposed road base. Some 4WD's are crossing but the highway remains closed as far as I know. Water is still flowing hard through the culverts and filling the Coocoran Lake to (and possibly beyond) capacity.

The Coocoran Lake must be 2 or maybe 3metres deep in some parts. Cant get much in the way of photos as the trees block the view from the edge. If I can get out on a boat I'll definitely grab a few shots.

The Mosquito's are in plague proportions as is expected with floods. Dengue Fever is a definite worry and that usually means the use of repellents. The shops had sold out of most repellents and Mozzie coils with the influx of tourists over Easter for the goat races. But they will no doubt stock plenty more asap.

The water coming down should continue to do so for some time yet, maybe a week or two. The Lake is a very impressive sight and would be worth the trip out here to see it full.

I'll post a few photos soon.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.  

« Last Edit: 12 April 2010, 06:07:53 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #20 on: 10 April 2010, 06:23:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lateness but I'll post a few aftermath photos though we still have plenty of water coming down.

My mining partner took his catamaran out on the Coocoran Lake (I'll try and get some photos out on it if I can) and said the Lake is close to 4metres deep in parts now. He managed to sail the entire 5k's across it with ease, just lacking a little wind lol.

The couple photos below are taken at the Weetaibah Crossing, 25k's North of Lightning Ridge on the Castlereagh Highway. I haven't had much of a chance to get out as the mosquito's and sandflies are just too bad!

The first two photos are looking North along the Highway. This is the point where the floodwaters were about 50cm deep. The scarring is pretty evident along this area. I was amazed that the gravel road base stayed put. Cars are driving across it now so that may damage it further due to a fair amount of water still moving across it around 5-10cm deep.
The third photo is looking South (back towards town) and shows a little more scarring.
The fourth photo is the main culvert of three at the crossing. It is still pretty full and fast moving, flowing out into the Coocoran Lake.

I have a few photos of the Big Warrambool in flood also that I will get around to posting soon. There was a fair amount of flooding a bit closer to town near the Cumborah / Grawin turnoff on the Castlereagh highway also. I haven't been down that way for a few days so I may go have a look and see if it is still flowing there.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2010, 12:40:38 AM »
Hi Shauno,

Great coverage. That is a massive amount of water you have in your pictures! Great to see the drought gone for a little while.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
Hi Jimmy,

It definitely has been an amazing event for sure. We'll get to enjoy the Coocoran Lake as an actual Lake for some time to come! The locals are out there having fun with all their boats and jetski's most days. 

I'd like to go through and re-quote the posts containing info but I have no way of knowing where the info was or is lol? The information around here, other than which towns were being evacuated and river heights was very limited. We were checking the gauge directly from the Narran River ourselves. This is the same gauge the authorities use.

I think the emergency services just prepared for the worst, luckily they did the right thing and it wasn't as bad as expected around the Lightning Ridge area. Other than the highway being closed to our North we got off pretty lightly. 

I went down South towards the Big Warrabool (known as the Bailey Bridges) yesterday afternoon and the water has definitely dropped a fair amount. The area around the Cuborah / Grawin turnoff on the Castlereagh Highway has receded dramatically and almost looks like a shallow muddy swamp now which is only flowing mildly in the deepest channels.       

I will post a few more comparison photos soon.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.