Author Topic: Trough/Low NSW/QLD 19-20 June 2008  (Read 14555 times)

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
Trough/Low NSW/QLD 19-20 June 2008
« on: 20 June 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
Some interesting weather for June across NSW and QLD. Nice trough producing some half decent storms should develop a low off the coast of Sydney in the next 24 hours.

Warrego radar is currently showing an interesting cell near Mitchell moving on a SSE path whilst everything else continues East. Storm starts veering south around 1520 and is still continuing on the latest scan (1740)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
RE: Trough/Low NSW/QLD 19-20 June 2008
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2008, 12:32:26 PM »
Hi guys,

Just a quick update-
The state looks nice on radar currently.
We have an active cell/cells approaching from our SW now so Russ and I are heading out for a look and possible shots? It is pretty active so hopefully I'll actually manage a few shots (fingers crossed) it's still around 30k's or so out but we'll do our best.
Hopefully have some shots to post tomorrow with luck :)

Cheers,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
Some steady rain here in Schofields for at least 15 to 20 minutes providing a good soaking. I saw the instability this morning after wandering what happened to the increasing showers forecast. I guess the trough and above average temperatures assisted in the unsettled weather.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2008, 01:41:55 PM »
Steady light rain for a while here at Rydalmere. While looking at radar have to wonder why the BoM site is silly. I click on a 256km radar loop for somewhere and it gives me the arrows to move to another radar. Which then goes to a 128km view which obviously won't overlap the other one. If I am on a 256km view it should stay on that!

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2008, 01:59:34 AM »
We received 14.6mm of rain up until this morning which was a decent follow up fall from recent events. Mild night as well - I am wandering if this is going ro remain a wetter than average winter.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2008, 08:28:37 AM »
Hi guys,
Last night's effort wasn't as good as I had hoped, but it was still great to see an active multicell line with great convection for this time of year! The updrafts were huge and anviling out nicely with the forward shearing winds pushing in from the SW. There were some real nice details in the lower level cloud structures, inflow regions ect. Activity was sparse but there were some nice CG arcing from the towers at the rear of the storms.
It was 14º at the time we were out there with partial showers overhead from a large cumulus with a well defined base, noticeable even in the moonlight. The storms moved quickly passed us around 60k's to our South moving in a line from Walgett to Collarenebri in only an hour or so. I did notice a large active cell up towards Hebel (60k's to our North) later on around 8:30pm and I suspected it may have been remnants from the large storm I noicted on radar moving through the Thargominda (QLD) area earlier on? I can't be real certain on that though, just a suspicion :)

I'll include 2 of the clearer photos from last night. I think they shows the massive updrafts and lower level cloud features nicely, remembering these are 50k's South of us lol. It was nice to have an almost full moon present (and Jupiter shining brightly) to bring out the structures :) The first image shows the only lightning (the pink-ish bit bottom right lol) I managed, though I'm not sure how Russ went as yet? The second image shows the anvil of the second large storm that was backbuilding to the SW behind the main storm (2nd one pictured right side of image).

Cheers and take care,
Shauno

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Re: Trough/Low NSW/QLD 19-20 June 2008
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2008, 09:37:58 AM »
Certainly nice to see some convection this time of year - great you got to see some lightning Shauno. Bit of weak action around the far northern parts of the Northern Rivers this afternoon, with more widespread activity in SE QLD. Tracker has revealed some lightning but the storm cells would be struggling to get above 5-6 km in height - there is quite an inversion above 500 hPa as shown on this morning's Brisbane sounding.

This pic was taken towards the NE of my place at 2.33pm

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Karina Roberts (slavegirl)

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2008, 02:11:43 PM »
Hi guys,

A very interesting afternoon/evening here on the Gold Coast. Un-fortunantly i have no pics but this afternoon we got a nice but quick storm move over had nice mammatus and showed some interesting features but by the time i found my phone it had started raining lol. It was mainly a heavy downpour where i live but a little to my south west (mudgeereba/gilston/worongary) I was told it hailed quite heavily only pea sized hail thankfully. And another small cell moved over us around 6pm again quite quickly with a couple of cloud to cloud flashes (no visible cg that i could see).
Quite interesting for this time of year! The cell this afternoon gave off some wierd sounding thunder, where we are its usually a sharp but booming sound this time it was a low but loud 'growl'(for lack of appropriate wording lol) kinda like what you hear on those corny 80's horror movies.

Cheers,
Karina
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2008, 09:44:38 AM »
Had a nice but weak storm with occasional thunder yesterday afternoon rolling through quite quickly, not much else except that but funnily that was a surprise event to me, considering that I always have foreknowledge of any impending weather changes, I guess winter makes us all have a big yawn. Need to check those forecasts a bit more often. :P