Author Topic: June 2, 2005 Limon CO supercell - Beautiful panorama  (Read 6580 times)

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
June 2, 2005 Limon CO supercell - Beautiful panorama
« on: 23 April 2008, 09:24:17 AM »
I noticed Sam has posted a stitched image of the June 2, 2005 Limon Co mothership. Surely this is one of the most impressively structured supercell storms ever documented and the photo quality is itself quite incredible.

The stitched photo is mid-way down the thread at: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/634637

Jimmy when he is back might provide a link back to his favourite photos from the same event.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: June 2, 2005 Limon CO supercell - Beautiful panorama
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2008, 08:06:49 AM »
Hi David,

http://www.australiasevereweather.com/photography/photos/2005/jd20050602.html

Choose any from this set particularly the second storm which is the one you suggested in this link. We were with Sam Barricklow but he remained further back so he could fit the whole structure. We were trying to up close to see if there was a tornado inside the rain core viewed from the inflow region. No evidence was ever produced of a tornado on the ground though the rotation was rapid and could have had at least brief touch downs.

Nice perspective anyway David in Sam's pics and certainly very nice contrast. This is agreed to be one of the top 5 structures apparently! Obviosly such claims are debatable though you get the impression it was incredible enevertheless even for those who have been chasing for many years.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Jeff Brislane

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2008, 07:16:55 AM »
Hi Guys!

I thought that was one of the most awesome storms i've ever seen! I took those photos of sam's and took the liberty of stitching them together myself and applying a bit of post production skill to them. Check it out. Email him a link if you want to Dave. I have given him credit in the image.

Regards Jeff.

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Spectacular panorama -- really is like being there - I'll send Sam the link.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2008, 08:30:42 AM »
Nice work Jeff!  looking at that panoramic makes me feel like I was really there.... ;D  In all seriousness I am yet to see images that better capture the moments as that storm approached us along the interstate.  If only I had discovered photography back then and wasnt relying on a 4mp compact digital at the time ::).  My video is awesome but its the kind of storm that can only be done justice with Sam's images in panoramic.
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2008, 10:07:12 AM »
Brad,

There are two main types of storm chase tactics I guess:

- to be up close and personal specifically for tornadoes
- to be further away for timelapse and panorama shots

We chose former. Sam stayed way back for photography. I guess also the team has to also decide what goes as top priority when you go into chasing. It is easy to look back to know what you could have done after the even once you note perhaps there were no tornadoes. In this case, we still have not been able to verify whether a tornado was in the storm or not. There certainly was rapid rotation.

No matter what, it was great that someone else was able to capture it whilst others were able to get up close and personal and get a different perspective.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2008, 12:07:21 PM »
Hi guys,

This Limon supercell is amazing!

I have a link from extremeinstability of a few shots that Mike H. took from a slightly different perspective to the ones here.

http://www.extremeinstability.com/05-6-2.htm

I have Mike's video footage of this storm in action and I was blown away by the very rapid and intense inflow band tearing into the updraft! I would have loved to witnessed it from any local as it seemed nicely confined at the base structure. The hail and CG were fairly fierce and very close to Mike on video even though he seemed some distance away?

I think you made the right decision on staying a little further away Jimmy! I would have done the same :)
I have watched the video many times but there (as you say) doesn't appear to be any sign of a tornado, just a dark, nasty rain/hail core and awesome structure. I even think Mike mentions at one point that there doesn't appear to be anything in the form of a tornado present that he could see other than a "lowering" that happened at the start of organization, earlier on.

Kindest regards,
Shauno

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2008, 12:49:28 PM »
Shaun,

You bet it is a lovely supercell and ranks as one of the top structures intercepted of all time accoding to some chasers!

We were not that far away from it actually and eveutally allowed it to pass over us as well though the storm was in a weakening phase at this time. What I suggested is Sam Barricklow who took these pictures (who was with our group until prior to this point) chose to stay back for whole structure shots and video - hence my post above about decision making.

As to the tornado, although we cannot confirm a tornado, some of the guys who were with us suggested they had seen a tornado whilst observing through the notch region (looking from the northeast). However, nothing can be confirmed and being a HP supercell, any tornadoes were likely rainwrapped. And unless you can confirm something, then you cannot suggest there was a tornado. However, the footage I have and same as Brad, shows some rapid rotation that is sufficient for tornadic spinups but again - looking from the south, we simply cannot confirm anything concrete.

Mike's viewpoint looks to be from the southeast and south. There is much less chance of observing a tornado from this perspective. I assume he was using a wide angle lens as well given the 'distant looking' though spectacular shots.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2008, 08:26:04 AM »
Yes, Jimmy I completely agree on the choice to be made (close V structure).  This year was interesting because we continually seemed to be close to the action with many wallclouds, funnels and toward the end tornadoes, so we gave ourselves every chance I guess.  We didnt get a heap of overall structure (timelapse) but I cant complain :))))

On the topic of the Limon supercell, my images can be seen here on a website I am slowly building.  Shaun or anyone interested, just click on the 2005 image and you'll see the images.  The striations, the ring of saturn and the beaver tail were simply incredible.

http://www.thunderhunter.com/image_menu.htm

I also have seen Mike Hollingsheads video from that day and yes he was south of our position and possible a bit closer, hence he missed out on some of the best structure as viewed from the East.

Regards,
Brad.
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2008, 06:27:43 AM »
Hi guys,

G'day Brad, Cheers for the link to your site, looking great so far! I'll be keeping my eye on it in the future! ;)

Your definitely right with the fact that east of the Limon cell was the place to be for structure! What a sight to behold, unbelievable! I bet a few of the chasers jaws were dragging on the ground at the time lol.

Take care,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
Shaun,

I can tell you when we approached the structure, I knew my long life dream of a Colorado special had been fulfilled. I went biserk as we approached even prior to seeing the structure clearly! To be in front of this awesome beast was one of the features of that trip. It was also a relaxing chase - that is often the case in Colorado given the storms spin on the spot or move slowly into the oncoming inflow. There usually isn't excessive moisture so the storms are very clean.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com