Author Topic: NSW / SE QLD Storms: 13-14 April 2008  (Read 39071 times)

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
Re: NSW / SE QLD Storms: 13-14 April 2008
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2008, 04:45:09 AM »
took this in greenacre , sth west sydney at 7pm , of the cell which developed in sth west sydney and moved nth east
the cell off woollongong was very active but some developing low cloud hid most off the bolts from view.
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

lollie3

« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2008, 07:59:18 AM »
I see there is a thunderstorm warning out for Coolangatta. I wonder if we will get any up here at Deception Bay

Matt Pearce

« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2008, 08:03:45 AM »
The storms seem to be forming along the southeasterly change as it surges northwards, so I'd think you'd have a pretty good chance of something a bit later on in the afternoon or evening lollie.

Was a pretty lightning and rain active storm across northern Sydney early yesterday afternoon but nothing visually exciting structure-wise. No hail where I was at St Ives. Very little wind also...apart from the southerly that kicked in after the storm passed off to the northeast.

The updrafts visible on the back end as the storm headed offshore from Mona Vale were pretty impressive though...very solid, indicative of the rapidly cooling mid-levels through the afternoon with the approach of the shortwave upper trough.

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2008, 10:54:51 AM »
Few isolated but rather intense cells fired up today, and the good thing is that there is no other cloud to obscure the sight of the storms, so these should be very photogenic.

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
One of the storms over the SE'rn suburbs of Brisbane took on some quite nice proportions this afternoon.  I'd suggest it was supercellular for a period of about an hour where it rode northwards along the boundary of the SE'ly change which pushed up the coast.  Eventually the SE'ly kicked out ahead of the storm and killed it (just S of Brisbane CBD) but it sure looked AWESOME from here.  I have some pics from my phone which, although they aren't great quality, the storm was so nice that they'll look good anyway...hehe.

Macca

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #20 on: 15 April 2008, 12:56:23 PM »
That cell off Cape Moreton is giving frequent flashes, evident to my southeast, the cloudless night sky is illuminating the flashes and it looks quite spectacular, should this cell maintain strength and I will be able to capture some nice lightning shots in full view from the east once it pass by. Really an exciting event for Autumn.

lollie3

« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2008, 02:06:43 PM »
still nothing happening here, it is going around us atm

Offline Jason(pato)

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2008, 03:51:40 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Well with the lack of activity down south of the border Rod Wallbridge and I decided to bite the bullet and head north, with the hope of curing our SDS and capturing some lightning. We eventually decided on a spot near Currumbin overlooking the ocean and what a view we were treated to. Plenty of CA lightning that had Rod and I hooting and hollering like school kids. We enjoyed the view for abour an hour and a half before the strato cumulus deck rolled in and obscured most of the best lightning. In all a trip well worth it seeing as these shots are my first CG shots on the 400d. Hope you enjoy. BTW a big thanks to Rod for driving, really appreciated.

South Lismore, Northern Rivers NSW.....Supercells are us!!

Offline Rodney Wallbridge

• Multi-vortex F1
    • Red Bubble
« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2008, 04:19:49 PM »
Gyday all, well FINALLY saw some lightning tonight which was worthy to calm that SDS down a bit.Took off to coolangatta straight after work picking up Jason(Pato) and settling in at Currumbin beach just north of the surf club.Sure was a lovely display of Lightning.Thanks for a fun trip Pato!

Looking north towards Surfers Paradise and the Q1 with an Aircraft trail inbound to coolangatta.

Stratu Cumulus streaming in from the south

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #24 on: 15 April 2008, 04:50:09 PM »
Some isolated cell is making it's way up the Sunshine Coast but haven't spotted lightning visuals as of typing. It looks rather strong on radar too.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2008, 02:56:27 AM »
Nice to see a couple of active storm days mid Autumn. I was not able to view any myself but great to see photos from others here - where are yours Macca ? :)

Some weather data for the two days.

Sunday 13th April 2008

The Newcastle radar loop of the Hunter cell is certainly worth looking at. Check the Kurnell loop for the Sydney storms - it was picking up the activity better particularly as one of the severe warned storms passed over the Sydney radar resulting in a poor view of it.

---> Newcastle 128km

---> Kurnell 128km

Sydney 20z

Sydney 05z

Williamtown 00z

Monday 14th April 2008

I've included both main Brisbane radars as the main storm of the afternoon passed over Staplyton giving a messy view of that storm. The cells were all fairly small with some hail reported but nothing severe in size reported (as of yet). Would be great to see some structure shots.

---> Mt Staplyton 128km

---> Brisbane 128km

Brisbane 00z
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2008, 07:35:18 AM »
Hi Michael,

Will try to get my pics up this weekend (am leaving this arvo for a work trip to north QLD for 3 days).  I only have low quality mobile phone pics but the view i had from here in the CBD was pretty nice and the photos aren't too bad.  I have a few other pics I need to upload from the last few months so I might allocate a few hours on the weekend to this to get my gallery up to date.

Macca

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2008, 11:39:28 AM »
I hope Macca doesn't mind however here is a copy of a mobile phone pic he took from his building in Brisbane. I was on the motorway heading towards Arcacia Ridge (sp?) at the time and was extremely impressed by the structure. Upon arriving I was greeted by cold outflow winds from the RFD and some brilliant clear air CG's popping out the back of the updraft. The flanking line on this cell extended almost 5 - 10 kms into the clear air to the NW obviously riding the boundary of outflow against the NE winds feeding in. The below shot doesnt show it but hopefully Macca may have some more.

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #28 on: 18 April 2008, 05:17:26 PM »
WHOA!  Thanks James!  Don't mind at all!!!  I should do that more often...lol.   I have about 6 pics of this cell from work using my phone's camera.  Like I said - not great quality but shows the structure. 

More to come on the weekend.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #29 on: 07 October 2008, 07:55:22 AM »
I was sent these images from Brendan Heffernan some time ago but had misplaced them, but I've received them again from him.  Brendan asked me through my site what it was and today I was asking Michael Bath what it could be. The images were captured on Sunday the 13th of April in the afternoon. The camera was located at Narellan Vale and was facing almost directly west. We're unsure if it was a tornado or a plume of smoke?

Comments would be appreciated so we can confirm or not.

Thanks to Brendan for allowing me to share his images.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14