Author Topic: 2007/2008 storm season in review  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Michael Thomas

• Elephant Trunk F2
2007/2008 storm season in review
« on: 31 March 2008, 12:20:11 PM »
I think it would be a good time to put together a list of storms or storm outbreaks that produced high end severe weather this season. The events I can think of are-

8th of October, Lismore - HP supercell with 5cm hail reported, also a strong long lived supercell tracked along border ranges
9th of October, Lismore - HP supercell with hail of 6 cm reported with strong damaging winds
26th of October, Dundoon - Tornadic supercell, EF-1 Tornado
29th of Octer, Gayndah - HP supercell to bow echo, 180 km/hr wind gust recorded
9th of December, Western Sydney - Classic supercell with hail to 8cm reported

I'm sure there are other examples as well as other notable storms on some of these days but I hope this can get the ball rolling.

Regards,
Michael
« Last Edit: 31 March 2008, 12:26:46 PM by Michael T »

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: 2007/2008 storm season in review
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2008, 02:14:22 PM »
While I can't recall specific dates etc one thing that did surprise me was the lack of evening/night time thunderstorms. Until last night's late storm well south of here all lightning activity was during daylight. Now I've been away from Sydney for about 5 years - previously living in Gosford and we regularly had evening storms to watch against a black backdrop instead of during the afternoon.

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2008, 12:54:51 PM »
John Allen,

re: 20 Dec storm - that was the storm that caused the flash flooding in Vermont, Vic - it was also the storm system / trough system that produced the 'tornado' outside Bendigo, Vic.

I remember trying to drive a min-bus coach (to the depot in Nunawading ) through quite a lot of surface water gushing over Terrarra and Rooks Rds.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2008, 12:56:37 PM »
The last of John's reported storms occurred late at night, and produced some violent CG's close to home, and about 18mm of rain in 16 mins here. It was loud enough to scare the pants of my small dog - who didn't leave my side all night - even 3 hrs after the storm front passed.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Michael Thomas

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
I guess I should explain myself a little clearer. I think that it would be a good idea to have a list of the significant severe weather events for each season, ideally with some charts, radar and surface obs, although that is a bit of work. I say this as sometimes it can be a little difficult looking back to find information on a particular event. I believe looking at previous setups is a great way to learn and predict storm potential on future days. Pretty much all the data is already posted in this forum, it can just be a little hard to find if exact date (or month) escapes from your memory.

Regards,
Michael