Author Topic: NSW / VIC Storms: 24 March 2008 to 25 March 2008  (Read 22407 times)

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: NSW / VIC Storms: 24 March 2008 to 25 March 2008
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2008, 01:43:04 PM »
Thunderstorm 25/3/2008

I note that a separate thread has not been created for this. However last night 25/3/2008 just after 9 pm a large Cluster of moderate to heavy showers moved ESE across much of Sydney. Following a reasonable downpour over Blacktown, a large intra cloud bolt of lightning lit up the sky over western Sydney.

About 25 minutes later, a solid cloud to ground lightning strike and a hefty booming thunderclap reverberated across the Blacktown area. It was quite close to where I live considering the noise that it made. Several minutes later, there were several more lightning flashes and thunderclaps including one more cloud to ground strike to my east.

That shower cluster and activity that moved through between 9 pm and 10 pm contained some embedded thunderstorms including some heavy bursts of rain. One such cell moved across the Blacktown region.

Rainfalls of 11 to 17 mm was common throughout western Sydney although a more substantial cell appears to have gone through parts of SW Sydney with rainfalls of 20 to 30 mm being recorded at five weather stations near and around  Campbelltown.

Harley Pearman 

Offline TroyVR

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • B.O.M Storm Spotter
RE: NSW / VIC Storms: 24 March 2008 to 25 March 2008
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2008, 02:22:06 PM »
Thunderstorm 25/3/2008

I note that a separate thread has not been created for this. However last night 25/3/2008 just after 9 pm a large Cluster of moderate to heavy showers moved ESE across much of Sydney. Following a reasonable downpour over Blacktown, a large intra cloud bolt of lightning lit up the sky over western Sydney.

About 25 minutes later, a solid cloud to ground lightning strike and a hefty booming thunderclap reverberated across the Blacktown area. It was quite close to where I live considering the noise that it made. Several minutes later, there were several more lightning flashes and thunderclaps including one more cloud to ground strike to my east.

That shower cluster and activity that moved through between 9 pm and 10 pm contained some embedded thunderstorms including some heavy bursts of rain. One such cell moved across the Blacktown region.

Rainfalls of 11 to 17 mm was common throughout western Sydney although a more substantial cell appears to have gone through parts of SW Sydney with rainfalls of 20 to 30 mm being recorded at five weather stations near and around  Campbelltown.

Harley Pearman 

Parts of this storm passed across the Sutherland shire, however all i saw was intra cloud lightning and then plenty of rain. No loud thunderclaps to note either.

steven the crazy guy

Re: NSW / VIC Storms: 24 March 2008 to 25 March 2008
« Reply #17 on: 08 April 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
I saw one of the most spectacular storms in melbourne I was able to get a video of the house that was struck by ightning in braybrook
« Last Edit: 08 April 2008, 11:57:52 AM by Jimmy Deguara »