Author Topic: VIC/SA/NSW/QLD Severe Thunderstorms 31 Dec 2009 - 4 Jan 2010  (Read 23943 times)

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
VIC/SA/NSW/QLD Severe Thunderstorms 31 Dec 2009 - 4 Jan 2010
« on: 01 January 2010, 10:54:46 AM »
Hi all,

Just got word about an hour ago - as issued by BoM:-

DN65156
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
New South Wales

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

for FLASH FLOODING

For people in parts of the
SOUTHERN TABLELANDS Forecast District (south of the ACT).
Issued at 3:58 pm Thursday, 31 December 2009.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce very heavy rainfall and flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Cooma and Bombala.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:00 pm.

IDS65502

South Australia Regional Office

for DAMAGING WIND and FLASH FLOODING

For people in the
Upper South East and parts of the
Lower South East districts.
Issued at 4:09 pm Thursday, 31 December 2009.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging wind gusts in excess of 90 km/h in the warning area this afternoon and early evening. Very heavy rainfall and flash flooding is also possible with these thunderstorms. Locations which may be affected include Bordertown, Keith and Naracoorte.
* Secure or put away loose items around your property.
* Move cars under cover or away from trees.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Stay indoors, away from windows, while storms are nearby.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:10 pm

and:

IDV65756
Victoria Regional Office

for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the Northeast, East Gippsland, Western, Alpine and parts of the Northern Country, Wimmera, North Central and West and South Gippsland Forecast Districts.
Issued at 3:46 pm Thursday, 31 December 2009.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning areas over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Warrnambool, Shepparton, Wangaratta, Sale, Bairnsdale and Orbost. The western area contains the more organised thunderstorms so initially is the more likely to produce all severe weather elements. Damaging wind gusts are by the far the most likely in the eastern area.
Gusts close to 100 km/h have already been reported from Dartmoor in southwestern Victoria.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:50 pm.

The trough/front is already approaching the Warrnambool area to the south-west of me, and it is likely to strengthen as it approaches the Central area in VIC...

Also the wind is gusting 60-70kph here in Box Hill at the moment, and cloud is thickening...

Big P
PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
RE: VIC/SA/NSW/QLD Severe Thunderstorms 31 Dec 2009 - 4 Jan 2010
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2010, 02:19:35 PM »
So far this current storm system - from my vantage point in Box Hill - is trying to form a gust front with mammatus cloud formations forming within the front itself.

Also to report - BoM confirmed a 141kph wind gust near Laramoo SA at 6.15 AEST this afternoon...

Big P
(watching the storm without a camera (bugger!))
PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2010, 02:57:32 PM »
Winds have picked significantly in the last few minutes - but is too dark to get pics... the main storm front is heading into melbourne, and a local severe storm warning was issued at 8pm tonight...

For those wanting to see the fireworks in Melbourne may end up being disappointed (except storm chasers, of course!), as this system will produce tonnes of lightning!!

Big P
(battening down the hatches!)  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ .....
PJJ

Offline scottme

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2010, 03:13:47 PM »

Wow, that's an intense front moving through now (21:10). Several intense cells, especially near Moorabbin.

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2010, 03:17:30 PM »
Certainly is - and plenty of Heavy rainfall too - at BoxHill (0916) it is currenly raining quite torrentially, and PLENTY of CGs and ICs at the moment! and constant too.. going to be away from the computer for about 15mins to keep safe.

Big P
PJJ

Offline scottme

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #5 on: 01 January 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
4 or 5 dark brown / black cells between Moorabbin and Sunbury  :o

NYE wont be the only main news item tomorrow in Melb.....

Offline _Chris_

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #6 on: 01 January 2010, 07:18:37 PM »
Hi guys, quite an interesting end to the year here in lil old SA. I'm still not quite sure what it was, but we where under a thunderstorms updraft that had just cracked its first bolts, just out of Murray bridge and the wind was going bananas. The winds where cyclonic, sometimes a couple hundred meters wide, sometimes only a hundred, but they where definitely rotating cyclonicly and formed a funnel in the center quite a number of times. The funnel resembled a very large, very wide dust devil, however there was quite violent wind even up to a hundred meters away from it. The cloud above was very dark and bulging towards the center. The rotating winds where picking up tumble weeds and small branches and throwing them around in a radius over a quarter of a km wide at some points and almost half a km high which is something I've never seen a dust devil do. We first noticed it moving through paddocks and houses from the high point of the freeway as you get into town, and was near to the freeway when we arrived there. We stopped seeing it when the sky became very dusty, it started raining, and the wind picked up to a more consistent rate/direction. The funnel wasn't present the whole time, and would dissipate, then re appear in a different location.

Here, they are. The first video was taken when we first arrived there and the winds weren't too strong further away from the center, but lots of debris where being lifted in the center. (notice the horse at the start in the bottom left hand corner for size reference)
Video 1

The second video was taken then the winds had passed further away and where a couple hundred meters wide. They slowly draw closer here.
Video 4

The next video was taken when I believe the center of the winds pass right to our side. I tried to narrate at that time, but the wind was sow loud, I don't think you could here my voice. It was also the only point where walking was difficult.
Video 3

This video was taken just before we lost track of it. It was just beginning to rain, and the wind around us was more steady. Just after this, lightning struck with an 8 second delay of the thunder, so I jumped back into the car.
video 2

Offline Jane Gough

• Rope Tornado F0
    • stormygirl.net
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2010, 06:08:29 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently down on the southern Mornington Peninsula and watched the line go through over Bass Strait early evening. I was treated to some magnificent structure and strong outflow winds straight off the ocean as the front came through. Unfortunately, I left my Kestrel behind, so unable to measure (but strong enough to ripple my cheeks and almost blow me over!). The lightning was mainly CC and embedded within the rain so near impossible to photograph, but it was a beautiful pink colour as the sun had not set at that stage.

This developement was to the east of me over Gippsland, and taken at 200mm, so it's a little hazy:

And these to the south west over Bass Strait as the line approached:

Weather and Photography
www.stormygirl.net

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2010, 05:32:57 PM »
Well, if we didnt get enough from the cells on NYE - ten tonight is the icing on the cake. Alyhough unable to use camera to capture video footage of the amazing  light show from Severe storms girating across the northern sky from my home position in Mooroolbark, I have definetly been treated to the best lightning I have seen in 5 years! Watching it all from my north facing bedroom window, to qoute another famous chaser, "IT IS GOING NUTS here!!!" - lightning was staccato-ing every half second! there would have been in the 2hrs of the main storm belt here somewhere in the order of 5-6 thousand bolts - most IC and long crawlers, but a few CG as well. One of those CG has ignited asmall wildfire in the Mt Evelyn area (for locals, tramway rd). There hasnt been the rainfall here as it has to the northwest. Emu Creek (near Gisborne) copped a massive 73mm in 45 mins! just a few mm here, to go with the 26mm in 1hr yesterday.

All in all, one spectacular night!
(Welcome back Storms! and Jane G!)

Big P
PJJ

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2010, 05:08:21 AM »
Some photos of the VIC storms yesterday (1st Jan) can be found in this thread.

This one by Rikki Pool

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Mathew Townsend

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • Watching storms since 1998
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2010, 08:58:33 AM »
Sydney and Newcastle area getting hammered by those lines of thunderstorms that developed from the southerly change (hence southerly buster from BoM). Today is getting rather interesting by GFS plotting 30mm at maximum across NR and into tomorrow around 50mm where the southerly change will hit us.

Offline scottme

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
Very impresive looking cell moving up the coast from Wollongong at 16:20. Probably miss Sydney coast, but I can see the flanking cells builing.

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2010, 11:27:43 AM »
Hi all,

Wow what an impressive looking storm cell Rikki Pool captured!

We had some very intense rainfall over several hours yesterday, the 1st of January, 2010 and some further heavy falls this morning.

The reading for the period starting at 9am on the 1st Jan to 9am today (the 2nd of Jan 2010) is 63mm.

The temps are up a bit today as the sun has finally shown itself once again. The humidity is crazy! Hopefully some serious storms will brew from the current conditions?

I'll be ready, although it's slightly muddy out here to say the least lol.

Cheers guys,
Shauno.
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline _Chris_

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
Here's one more of the whirl at Murray Bridge, which I've also done in an enhanced midtones to highlight the structure in the air, and also one my wife Hayley took of the cloud base above the dust whirl, just after we spotted it on the hill.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2010, 05:10:26 PM »
Today I had to head Manly direction, and noted some nice buildup of clouds as we left home. By the time we got to that direction things were building up nicely though nothing that photogenic, a much better shot of the front was sent in by someone to 9 News tonight but they didn't say exactly where it was caught. Out of the car for 5 minutes and we got absolutely drenched, back to the car to wait for it to calm down and checked the radar. Lots of rumbles overhead though didn't spot any lightning.

After that lot went through it warmed up again, until some nice development near Wollongong later in the afternoon. Things were looking nice and black to the south of home, and shortly after received an EWN storm warning. The cells that had split off from the main one that was hanging offshore travelling NNE seemed to intensify on radar to deep red then fall apart in the next frame. By the time they got here there was nothing but some nice cloud and a bit of rain, nothing too heavy. Quite a strong southerly outflow as they approached though which at least cooled the house down. So no lightning here, I suspect the cell that went up the coast about 5pm might have produced some lightning but unfortunately we were back home by then. Wollongong was probably the spot the be today.