Author Topic: TC Gene (Fiji) causes deaths  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
TC Gene (Fiji) causes deaths
« on: 29 January 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
Here is another one I haven't seen a mention of on the TV etc, until I caught it online tonight.

Cyclone hits Fiji, two dead  *

January 28, 2008 - 8:36PM

A tropical cyclone with winds gusting up to 140 km/h hit Fiji's main island of Viti Levu, flattening houses, causing flooding and bringing down trees and powerlines, officials say.

Two men were killed when they were electrocuted by fallen powerlines, police said.

Cyclone Gene, a category one storm, crossed the west coast of Viti Levu and is forecast to intensify and move in a southeast direction overnight towards the capital Suva, officials said.

"The cyclone is expected to intensify further, probably reaching a category two system by late tomorrow," said Rajendra Prasad, director of Fiji's bureau of meteorology.

Many Fijians living in coastal villages on the west side of Viti Levu, which is also the country's main tourist centre, have moved to higher ground, with warnings of heavy seas and swells.

Officials in the western town of Nadi warned residents not to be outside their homes as the cyclone moves through their area.

"People should start taking precautions, preparing with torches, tin foods and so on," said Jo Rokovada, director of the National Disaster Centre

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Re: TC Gene (Fiji) causes deaths
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2008, 06:47:22 AM »
Richary

Even this one caught me by surprise! I normally follow the satpics for the odd chance of seeing cyclones, esp when none seem to show up on the global severe weather site. And this one didnt look like much at the time, but has grown significantly in the last 24hrs or so.
Worth watching

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2008, 04:22:48 PM »
Hi,

Can any information be posted regarding the intensity of the tropical cyclone along its path? A graphical representation will provide some form of perspective.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2008, 05:04:07 PM »
The satpic of the cyclone can be found here:

http://www.met.gov.fj/aifs_prods/00gms_ir.jpg
(Courtesy Met Service Fiji)

Cyclone Gene is a Cat 2 storm, winds about 140-150kph, still to show signs of an eye formation, is heading N-W to W at about 18kph. Crossed past Suva (Fiji cap), casuing 4 deaths (see weatherzone.com.au news updates). This, according to Fiji Met Service, could intensify further and may also head towards QLD coast in next few days. (Just what you guys don't need!).

Hope that helps Jimmy.

Big Pete

PS Let me know if link doesn't work. I might need help if it doesn't.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2008, 05:24:39 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2008, 03:34:40 PM »
I have been keeping a keen eye on TC Gene, which was upgraded this morning to a Cat 4 storm - it has strong shape, and is heading W-SW, turning more towards the S in the last 12 hrs. It has done more damage to Futuana in Vanuatu, details to come.

It has max core winds of 155kph, and strengthening.

Will post more on it if it heads closer to our shores in Oz.

Big Pete

PS Thanks mike for the tip - i'm still learning the ropes as far as posting pics, so bear with me if i get it wrong from time to time.

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2008, 06:02:33 AM »
It looks like TC Gene is now beginning to fizzle as it closes on the subtropic level - in the next 18-24 hrs it will be downgraded as it weakens. It has done some damage to Vanuatu and Fiji, as well as taking 4 lives. I will keep an eye on this storm to see what changes it makes.

Big Pete
« Last Edit: 04 February 2008, 11:52:11 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
PJJ