Author Topic: NSW Storms 30 November 2007 - flash flooding  (Read 13610 times)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
NSW Storms 30 November 2007 - flash flooding
« on: 01 December 2007, 05:15:58 AM »
Widespread storms again through the state today with flash flooding the main threat at this stage.  I see 76mm has fallen in 1.5 hours at Figtree just west of Wollongong. A few falls overnight topped the 100mm mark too.  Could be some problems in that area if the activity persists.

Might be some storms in my local region today as well. Would be nice considering the very poor rate of storms this November. Certainly not poor when comes to monthly rainfall totals though !

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Re: NSW Storms 30 November 2007 - flash flooding
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2007, 08:09:31 AM »
Hi Michael,

There's some widespread, heavy precip. development around us here today also. Seems to be a kind of multicell environment due to the heavy moisture content. There are several cells building out here now and one fairly large anviled one down south of us towards Walgett. I was out on a small cell earlier that showed sparse activity with the odd CG every 30seconds to 1minute. This cell passed to our North and seems to still be active at this point in time so I may head out and take another look?

I have a few shots to post, so I will get those up today when possible and hope for something more intense to come our way this evening/tonight!
The rain totals from yesterday were ranging from 27mm to 31mm from the reports I've picked up off the locals. Definitely nice to see it finally!

Cheers and take care.
Shauno.
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline David Brodrick

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Oz Forecast
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2007, 11:17:07 AM »
Gunnedah Area, North West Slopes NSW, 30th November 2007

What a thrill to see massive HP storms rolling over the thirsty inland!

Drove back from holidays via Gunnedah today as the severe warned (flash flooding) storm hit town. It dumped 46mm at the airport and the gutters and storm water system were running at full capacity.

The first photo is looking south from a little north of Gunnedah. Gunnedah is under the heavy downpour on the left.

Second photo is of a different cell which was east of Boggabri. The striations caught my attention as a possible sign of rotation although it was obvious the upper winds were very weak and I didn't see anything else to suggest it was supercellular.

One of the weather stations a little west of Narrabri recorded 24mm from a cell around 12:30pm.

Hopefully it will do it all again tomorrow and then we'll get another drenching next week.

Cheers,
  Dave

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2007, 12:38:25 PM »
Upper Western/North West NSW Weather 30 November 2007

Hi all,
It is great to see these massive HP storms as David said in the previous post. We had one large cell come by around 3pm. It appeared to be in the red/black region on the Moree 256km Radar and moving in from the North East. This storm was partially active but that's not important in comparison to the much needed rain it has provided to us!

The photos and panorama's below are all in time sequence and taken from various places around town. The first two are from the Castlereagh Highway 1st facing North and the 2nd is the large cell that passed 30k's South of us earlier on. The third wide pano. was taken from our airport. This shows the amazingly diverse structure that became apparent once the temps crept up slightly into the arvo.

The last two small pano's are from the extremely high precip. cell that (fortunately) skirted town just to the South. This was the red/black storm on radar at 3pm moving in along a small line from the North East.

Regards and take care guys.
Shauno

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2007, 05:02:11 PM »
I guess not enthused by the storms at the moment but given they are in the vicinity, some had half decent behaviour as they back built.

Here are two separate cells:

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 01 December 2007, 05:12:48 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2007, 12:42:22 AM »
My sister Linda got some video of this storm and base - quite interesting features occurring twice on this day!

http://www.australiasevereweather.com/video/movies/2007/1130ld01_western_sydney_storms.wmv

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)