Author Topic: Electrical storm Dubbo NSW  (Read 6659 times)

Offline RobFord

• Rope Tornado F0
Electrical storm Dubbo NSW
« on: 25 October 2009, 03:07:51 PM »
Hi Forum,
 I wish I had found this site many years ago!! I find the sight of a good storm brewing fascinating and the power it contains amazing. The only problem is they have not found the perfect way the record it....I don't think a photograph or a video can capture the power as well as the human eye. I am hoping to get some inspiration  and tips and tricks from the forum to record what I see.

A few years ago I lived in Dubbo NSW. One night I saw a big storm front moving in.As usual it split and moved around town. Over the next half hour we witnessed a powerful lightning show that would have been alot more scary if we'd been caught out in it.

There is a railway line running left to right behind the buildings in the background of the photos. The strikes appeared to be touching down in the railway corridor and I was not game to go for a walk to see if they were.That would have been flirting with death.Perhaps they were actually kms away but that info was on a need to know basis.

I grabbed my Nikon F3 and the manfrotto and took some hasty time exposures. They are overexposed and poorly focused but they give you an idea.Let me know what you think.I don't think I could do any worse and the only way is up with more practice.
Thanks
Rob

PS For some reason I cannot attach more than one photo.When I press the more attachments line it goes to a blank screen with the word true in the corner. Driving me crazy:)

Offline DanTheMan

• Rope Tornado F0
Re: Electrical storm Dubbo NSW
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Fantastic storm and lightning! It seems like lightning out there today?
« Last Edit: 26 October 2009, 10:04:16 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2009, 03:07:23 AM »
Yeah, there is an attach bug that affects some browsers.   Attach one photo, post, then click modify and attach another etc. That is one way around it.   

No, cameras will not do a weather scene justice a lot of the time but that's all we've got :)
Some lightning tips I put together are here - but looks like you know what to do anyway:

http://www.lightningphotography.com/tips.html

regards, Michael
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline RobFord

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2009, 07:57:42 AM »
Thanks Michael for the link to your photographing lightning tips.Appreciate that very much. I have great trouble photographing strikes that are happening in the afternoon.I overexpose way too much.Night stuff I can manage but more experience is always necessary.

I have just been given a hand me down Canon Powershot Pro digital SLR and I am having a ball with it.Forums like this sure get the imagination going and I find that I am more inspired to take that photo and have a look straightaway.I have been a film dinosaur too long but i intend to keep the old girls for a while yet.

Thanks again for the tips

Regards
Rob

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline RobFord

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #5 on: 25 December 2009, 04:35:52 PM »
Hi Jimmy,
No I don't think they were the same event. From memory I had left work by November 2004 and did not have access to the work camera for the storm you mentioned.My one could be summer of 2003/04 tho. I am kicking myself for not writing it down.I might have to see if I kept any of the calenders from that period.The links you gave in your post were awesome.Dubbo is in a bowl so you don't always get to get a clear view of what is coming in from the horizon.You can see the flash but buildings and trees obscure the full sphincter releasing strike shot. I would have loved to see the storms you showed.The smell of the vegetation during/after a storm is something I will never forget from there.
Have a good Christmas.Hope Santa brings you a storm to chase
Regards
Rob