Author Topic: Bushfires wildfires Crews still fighting Dorrigo National Park blaze  (Read 1697 times)

australiasevereweather

Crews still fighting Dorrigo National Park blaze

Fire crews are winning the battle to contain suspiciously lit fires near the world heritage-listed Dorrigo National Park.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/18/2689808.htm

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Bushfires wildfires Crews still fighting Dorrigo National Park blaze
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2009, 11:36:41 PM »
I know that it has been rather dry in this region but I would have thought that this region would have almost been immune to bushfires. Hopefully the fires are contained - the Dorrigo National Park offers incredible scope to bushwalkers and also just plain beautiful scenery.

What a contrast to earlier in the year!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: Bushfires wildfires Crews still fighting Dorrigo National Park blaze
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2009, 04:41:14 AM »

I would absolutely agree with Jimmy.

I used to play in a band with mate of mine a few years back, then when the band split, he along with his wife and father moved to Dorrigo. I have visited there on several occasions, and as many would know, it is a lush green and beautiful place. And especially going down the range with the rain forrests settings you can understand the reasoning.

But I think the ironic and confusing part is, we had all this tremendous rain and floods in SEQ and Northern NSW earlier, and now with the dry spell that we are having, along with very low humidity, over the last several weeks plus the higher than average temperatures in August, it seems to be drawing the moisture out of the ground quicker than I have ever imagined or remembered.

The once green vegetation is turning rapidly into fire fuel. This seems to be happening all over SEQ and Northern NSW and no doubt else where in Australia. It is rather frightening to think of the possible scenarios it possess.

With that amount of rain you we received, you would think we would be safe up here, but this is something slightly out of the square happening, ( I am not just talking about your average evaporation, this seems to be accelerated) and, dare I say it, maybe a new chapter in history.This EL nino seems to be throwing a "curve ball" at us, and  I am concerned for this hot dry summer. The only real rain spoken off is around November with storms. ( will have to wait and see)  This week in Brisbane temps will be up to mid 30C's, no rain in sight and low humidity.  Stanthorpe and surrounds are on high fire danger alert.

Col