Author Topic: Missed Severe weather again.  (Read 3520 times)

Jman_08

Missed Severe weather again.
« on: 23 August 2009, 08:47:11 AM »
Hello new to the forum I live in the Omaha area. Specifically Millard all year in 2009 we have had Severe storms miss us either north south east or west of us. They seem to change direction or weaken anytime they get close. I dont get it last year in 2008 we got hammered all year threw June July and August.

I dont understand why severe storms weaken or miss the Omaha area all the time. I have been told Omaha is not protected by severe storms at all. But im starting to wonder??

Anybody have any Idea why this seems to be the case or is it just luck of the draw like i have been told.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Missed Severe weather again.
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
The Great Plains can be sometimes wierd given it is so flat and yet can have one region getting more precipitation or storms than others. However, time will tell and regions can suddenly be affected by violent weather.

One prime example is Greensburg which seemed to not have many direct hits despite being in southern Kansas where many tornadoes are observed. However, we know what happened on the fateful evening May 4 2007 when virtually almost the entire town was flattened!

Don't hope for it - just observe or study the storms within your achievable target.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)