Author Topic: SA/VIC/NSW Storms 21 - 27 July 2009  (Read 12521 times)

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
SA/VIC/NSW Storms 21 - 27 July 2009
« on: 22 July 2009, 11:32:20 AM »
Current Severe Thunderstorm Warning for the Western Forecast district in Victoria - Damaging winds.
Tomorrow's forecast is a chance of isolated thunderstorms and showers throughout the Riverina and into parts of the southwest slopes. Fingers are crossed for some nice photos!

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
RE: SA/VIC/NSW Storms 21 - 27 July 2009
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Hi Kristy,

I thought we might have had something decent roll through in the way of a small storm cell or two for our area tomorrow? Looking more showery than anything currently. The temps are warm at around 26c today, thought it may have lead to some partial triggering this evening but the graphs aren't looking so good?

I'm missing the convective outlook on WZ now lol, think it comes back online in September or October? Not long to wait now anyhow. Russ and I usually call it "The Red Bean" It helps a little and gives a faster impression of potential storms, especially comparing it with GFS etc.  

Best of luck to anyone who chases anything with this trough!

Take care,
Shauno

EDIT: Small spelling correction.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2009, 11:37:56 AM by Shaun Galman »
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2009, 02:31:10 AM »
Last night was very warm here, especially for mid/late July. At 8:30pm temp was 13.9 degrees. It was pretty windy but even the wind felt warm.
Possible storms only in the south now, and I have a feeling if they get going, it will be to the east of us (seems to be doing that alot!). It will still be nice to get some rain.
I've never used the convective outlook on WZ but it would be very useful, thanks Shaun!

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
Well there were some ripper storms around this afternoon and evening. Unfortunatley I had to go to Yarrawonga after lunch and missed the main event that came through, although I did get to drive under some really spectacular mammatus. I got home in time just to get a couple of photos, but I'm a bit bummed I missed the big storm earlier.

Offline _Chris_

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2009, 06:47:34 AM »
Sorry if this isn't where this post is supposed to go as it was three days after the threads end date, but I didn't know where else to post this. Yesterday (26/07/09), quite a viperous cell crossed the coast at Glenelg, Adelaide. It was very nicely structured with a well defined shelf cloud. At one point whilst it was still out in the gulf, it spawned something that kind of resembled a waterspout. I'm just wondering if somebody with better experience has any thoughts on this? Also, here are the links to a couple of time lapses (the first of which was taken about the same time as the protruding object), as well as a pan of the cell as it crossed the coast.
Cheers,
          Chris

Time lapse of cold cell approaching Glenelg

Storm cell crossing Glenelg time lapse

Beautifully structured winter storm from Glenelg Beach, Adelaide 26/07/09 5:00pm

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: SA/VIC/NSW Storms 21 - 27 July 2009
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
Yesterday, the 26th July 2009 was intensely cold - probably the coldest day of the year. We will probably get a run down from Harley but it seems it edged just over 11C - that's cold for here! We had 8.6mm of rain thrown in.

Just out of interest, was there any snow in the Blue Mountains? It would have been cold enough in Oberon and surrounds.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2009, 01:36:24 AM »
Certainly a funnel cloud there Chris that may have connected to the surface - in which case it would be a waterspout - but can't tell from the photo.

Jimmy, there were no reports of snow but it was still possible based on the Mt Boyce Obs which shows the last bit of precipitation and a temp of 3.4. So higher ground than 1080m might have had a snow shower.

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2009, 12:42:54 PM »
I wonder what the chances are this weekend with the TV forecast showing chance of showers for Sunday morning. It's certainly been cold enough in Sydney that I can only imagine it must be considerably colder out west up higher. Weatherzone has Katoomba forecast for 1 degree Sunday morning with a clearing shower. Oberon -1 with a clearing shower.

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2009, 01:09:01 PM »
Sydney maximum temperatures for 26/7/2009

Jimmy, temperatures right across Sydney on Sunday 26/7/2009 were below average but in some areas, they were not the coldest maximums for the season.

Generally across Sydney maximum temperatures fell in the range of 12C to 15C for the day (From BOM Weather Stations - 26/7/2009). The coldest maximums occurred at Penrith - 11C, Badgerys Creek and Bankstown 12C while it reached 15C at Parramatta, Riverview, Sydney and Sydney Olympic Park. It reached 14C in Blacktown.

Generally it was colder in the outer areas of the city and warmer closer to the coast and city.

It was certainly cool to cold and cloudy with some light afternoon rain with 7.5 mm falling where I live in Blacktown and maximum rainfalls of 13 mm being recorded in some eastern Sydney suburbs.

It was more of a case of it being a cool cloudy day with some light rain and no sunshine to provide any warmth.

The coldest days this winter to date of interest have been 10 June, 14 June and 6 July where the maximum temperature has failed to reach 14 degrees Celsius at Blacktown. Finally the 14 June 2009 is the coldest day this season to date at Blacktown in which the maximum temperature struggled to reach 13.2 degrees Celsius.

Harley Pearman

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2009, 03:59:47 PM »
Some Pics from last weeks weather in Melbourne:-

(Note: Pictures taken with permission from Crown Coaches)

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2009, 02:23:45 PM »
From the two pics below - I thought I saw the formation of a shelf-cloud in the bottom pic, but it was disbanding quickly by the time i took the second pic.
The rain belted down from this non-lightning based storm for about 10 mins - with 4mm dumped in that time.

Big Pete
PJJ