Author Topic: What is a "Beaver Tail"?  (Read 11312 times)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
What is a "Beaver Tail"?
« on: 17 July 2009, 05:56:23 AM »
Jimmy, in the post of the Black Hill tornadoes  there is a radar image around the town of Rapid. You spoke about the hook the inflow and the beaver tail.
I had not heard this expression before and was wondering which part is referred to the beaver tail? I though it may be to the right of the hook but not sure. It is intersting to read of these terms that you and other chasers have and  I would like to learn more.

the post is Tornadoes Incredible supercell east of the Black Hills!

Thanks

Col

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: What is a "Beaver Tail"?
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2009, 06:50:05 AM »
Thanks John,
Therefore, the inflow banding must to some degree or on many occassion take on the resemblence of a beavers tail, that is if I understand that right, hence the name. The question is, does this occur much in the formation of these storm clouds in Australia. Is it something that you look for in the radar images for the chase in OZ.

Col

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2009, 02:33:17 PM »
Finally I have been able to attend to the original question.

The beaver tail is basically a cloud that forms along the boundary between the pseado-warm front and the inflow into the storm. This cloud feature (nick-named as a "beaver tail" by storm chaser Tim Marshall) remains stationary with respect to the storm motion but you can see cloud streaming in along this cloud. It looks like a roll cloud except it extends north-eastwards from the main updraft (in the southern hemisphere if the storm was heading generally east).

Have we got examples in Australia? Not many but yes here is one for you - taken north of Coffs Harbour:

I can assure you when a beaver tail is around, the storm is striking a very serious balance and could often go tornadic! Well, let's just say that there is a good orgnisation between inflow and outflow.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2009, 06:24:27 AM »
Thanks John and Jimmy, much appreciated, my motto in life is, " you learn something new everyday." ( one of the better things learnt for a while.) That is a spectacular example of a beaver tail. I just had never heard this term before and what it referred to. It is something that I wont forget and it is something to look out for in spotting storms.

Thanks again

Col

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2009, 06:52:19 AM »
Coltan,

Beaver tails are quite common in the United States because of the number of organised and tornadic supercells. However, here you will very rarely see a beaver tail and when they do occur, it is unlikely to be a spectacular as the one above.

I have seen a few over the years - check how they sneak in without knowing!

http://www.australiasevereweather.com/video/movies/2002/0216jd01.wmv

The most recent I can recall is this one near Lithgow. This was one hell of a chunky beaver tail!

http://www.australiasevereweather.com/forum/australian-severe-storms-significant-weather-events-and-storm-chasing/central-nsw-storms-6th-8th-feb-2007-lithgowmudgeescone-supercells/

As I said, unless you look out for beaver tails through anticipation or unless it is ibvious, they often allude you.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Peter fergusson

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2009, 11:21:01 AM »
Hi my name is Peter greetings.Beaver tail connected with severe thunderstorms,predessor to possible but not likely tornadoe activity.