Author Topic: Tornadoes Incredible supercell east of the Black Hills!  (Read 2794 times)

australiasevereweather

Tornadoes Incredible supercell east of the Black Hills!
« on: 15 July 2009, 02:00:13 AM »
Incredible supercell east of the Black Hills!

An incredible supercell has been raging east of the Black Hills for the past hour or so as it emerged as the dominant storm from an MCS that developed to the northwest earlier today.  This storm has had tornado warnings for awhile now, but no reported tornadoes as far as I know.  Rapid City radar is indicating over 100 knots gate-to-gate shear as of 4:20 pm CDT, and looks to be cycling on radar on the most recent scan.  I believe Thunder Ent. is on this storm but I haven't talked to them yet today.  Stay tuned for updates!

http://www.tornadovideos.net/component/content/article/1-latest-news/984-incredible-supercell-east-of-the-black-hills

« Last Edit: 15 July 2009, 02:27:00 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Tornadoes Incredible supercell east of the Black Hills!
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2009, 02:29:26 AM »
You simply have to love those hooks that occur consistently in Tornado Alley. Could you imagine the inflow band and beaver tails that may be raging into the updraft.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: Tornadoes Incredible supercell east of the Black Hills!
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2009, 02:39:14 AM »
Jimmy I have not heard the term "beaver tail" before, so what part on the above radar image is the beaver tail? I have to learn these things. I assume it may be to the right of the hook on the above radar? Not sure.

Thanks

Col

edit
Just checked with Accu weather, and they are predicting  life threatening storms  with 70mp/h winds, hail large as big as golf balls to baseball size, flash flooding and tornadoes.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2009, 03:02:09 AM by coltan »